New Scott foil.. at last!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bjornart

by bjornart

Does anybody have any experience with sizing? Scott calc says 58 (so do all the other big brands). But LBS says 56. I'm 186/91 cm (long legs).

I like stability and a bit of comfort on longer hauls. 58 comes with a 120mm stem. Have already ordered it with a 100 mm stem.
I hear that the Foil is "big" for its size (as Addict RC)?

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nereth

by Nereth

Can't help you out on sizing - but I have a question on the same lines...

Does anyone really know what the seatpost angle is? It's got a kink halfway up it so it isn't clear to me if the angle reported is;

a) The angle of the seatpost i.e. the direction it slides, in which case what is the offset from the frame?
b) The angle between the seatpost and BB at a given height e.g. a nominal riding height, or at the stack height
c) Something else...?

I don't know if I need to order a zero-offset seatpost or not!

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

ask for seatpost offset and/or at what height the effective angle is calculated. chances are you dont want the offset post and you do want the straight post.

Nereth

by Nereth

I mean, yes, that's what I'm asking here :)

No one in my city has actually seen one yet for me to ask. To my knowledge no one in my country has either.

Ytse

by Ytse

My LBS has a Foil RC 30 in stock. I have checked it out today in person. My impressions:

+beautiful paintjob and finish
+reasonably lightweight (given its shape)
+badass look even with shitty stock alloy Syncros wheels (comes with tanwall Schwalbe tyres)
+Shimano 105 Di2 groupset looks good
-stem is a bit bulky
-cables are not fully concealed (like in the Addict RC)
-significant price increase in the last 2 years (I have bought my Addict RC 20 - Force AXS 2x12 cca 25% less in late 2020)

All in all, a very nice bike.
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

Omiar

by Omiar

bjornart wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:33 pm
Does anybody have any experience with sizing? Scott calc says 58 (so do all the other big brands). But LBS says 56. I'm 186/91 cm (long legs).

I like stability and a bit of comfort on longer hauls. 58 comes with a 120mm stem. Have already ordered it with a 100 mm stem.

Cheers
Im 184cm and always had Scott at size 56 (L). Your long legs might suggest maybe 58 is better but you will be stretched out.
With size 56 I personally feel I like 1cm less reach, so stem 110 -> 100.
There is plenty of seatpost to use, look at old Mitchelton-Scott FOIL pics in the web and they always have sized down with lot of exposed seatpost.
I would say 56 would be more flexible for getting better fit on the bike.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

Ytse

by Ytse

How did you guys mount your Garmin Varia radar rear lights on the new Foil?

Nereth

by Nereth

FYI I've drawn some angles superimposed onto the foil images from the website.

It appears the seatpost angle is from bb to clamp, when the seatpost is at a reasonable height for a rider of that size frame.

So if your seatpost is quite low, it will be more relaxed. Quite high and it will be steeper.

Ytse

by Ytse

bjornart wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:33 pm

Cheers
The Addict RC and Foil RC are almost identical in geo (reach and stack), so if you already have an Addict RC and fits you, buy the Foil RC in the same size. Having said that...

.. a smaller frame (eg 56) can be very tempting, as seatpost extended looks extraordinarily nice and pro-like. However bear in mind that a smaller frame is always lower on the front, and you can end up with a bike with loads of spacers under the stem (ugly), or a low front end that is not comfortable on the long term, causing numbness, pain, etc here and there if you are not used to ride in an aggressive position. This is especially true if you have long lengs and short torso, because the drop (difference between saddle and handlebar height) will be larger than average for that size. Pro cyclists tend to be in their early 20s, work on there core muscle strength on a daily basis and are paid to ride all day long, so can tolerate an aero position, but this will not necessarily true for everybody.

I'd seriously go and get a bike fit before buying anything.

Ytse

by Ytse

Guys, did anyone try to mount an aftermarket aero handlebar to the alloy stem on the new (MY23) Foil? If yes, which one? On my Addict RC, I use a Vision Metron Aero handlebar, which is designed for fully internal cable routing, brake hoses can run through the stem and the headset and the look is very clean. Can I mount the same handlebar to the foil?

ultimatist

by ultimatist

Ytse with sold advice on flexibility and fit above. I've been targeting hamstrings lately, and more focus on peripheral muscles (lateral stretches, etc) that often get ignored, and the challenge is honestly finding one fit that works for my range of limberness. I feel tight and cramped at 5:30am on a cold winter morning with minimal stretch vs. too upright on a Saturday 9am summer ride after a yoga session.

Back to the Foil, can anyone here make a comfort/chatter comparison between the new frame and the Tarmac SL7 or the Canyon Aeroad? Poor roads and long rides in the SF Bay Area...

Nereth

by Nereth

I've just finished building mine up (stripped down an RC30 and rebuilt as you can't get a frameset in this country) and took it for its first test ride today. Very happy with it. The paint looks excellent and it has a solid bounce in it when I sprint, but that may be down to the handlebar I'm running. Build details and photos will follow when the chainrings arrive, as I'm currently running a stand-in that doesn't look right.

Main concern is - the saddle clamp is by far the worst I've ever used. Similar design to what's on my (broken) Venge Disc/the SL7/my mates trek speed concept, i.e. two cones getting pinched together by a bolt - however the cone angle and the material they've put on it gives it SO MUCH FRICTION, it binds up completely literally under finger pressure. And if you tighten to about 3-4Nm (spec is 16Nm), it will NOT release again even if you remove the bolt compeltely. You need to get behind it with a screwdriver and lever it out (plenty of damage to it and my seatpost now, having to do that).

Couple that with the fact that the two rail mounts are not locked to move together, and that means saddles have a lot of play in them until they are tightened, so you don't know what your saddle angle is until you've put so much torque into them that the clamp binds up, and if you're off by a degree, you have to completely loosen off the bolt, pop the cones out with a screw driver, and just try again and hope for the best.

took me the better part of an hour JUST TO SET SADDLE ANGLE yesterday. It was so bad that I learned at the end that most of the adjustment I was getting out of it from rotating the saddle as hard as I could to try to get it to shift, even with the bolt completely loose, was from bending the saddle rails, and I wasn't actually rotating the clamp half the time I thought I was.

Don't know if anyone has any advice on this? But I'm literally considering taking the cones to work, putting them in a lathe, and polishing off some of the tacky friction surface they've added (I've already used grease, which helps, but is not enough on its own).

PeytonM

by PeytonM

You could try silver anti seize, if I recall this was the trick on the old aeroads so the cones could be removed from the carbon seat post.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

get a new assembly from Ritchey.

@ultimatist, check out a Parlee RZ7

snaxez

by snaxez

Ytse wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:55 am
How did you guys mount your Garmin Varia radar rear lights on the new Foil?
I use saddle mount from MagCad on my older foil. It`s solid, and looks good. https://www.magcad-designs.com/collecti ... ria-mounts

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com