New Scott foil.. at last!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rmdt72

by rmdt72

BianchiDave wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:15 pm
I'll be putting Roval CLX Rapide wheels on the Foil, and the syncros stock wheels will be transferred onto my Addict.

The Rovals are not twitcy at all, and brilliant in cross winds.

I run the 380 /110 creston sl on my Addict and find them rock solid (with the Rovals).

What length stem are you running? Shorter stems certainly make a bike feel very twitchy, especially with narrower bars. Removing a couple of spacers will hopefully improve things though 👌
Interesting. If I get the chance, I'll definitely try also with other wheels. On the other hand, lowering the spacers by 2cm helped a lot. Although only 1 ride since, but still, first impression is good. It is a default 110mm stem.

As promised here are some pictures: (pre-modifications)

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Lelandjt wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:16 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:23 pm
Are there still cockpit availability problems these days? It honestly bewilders me that this can happen. Like, Scott, I want to give you thousands of my hard earned dollars if you can just sell me a new handlebar. I’m not going to buy your bike unless I can swap out for a narrow bar. Same with Canyon. I have thousands of dollars set aside for a new bike. Let me give you my money!
Yes. Handlebars will become available in August - October, depending on size. It is very frustrating. The 400-120 that many of us are waiting for is late September.
There’s no reason I couldn’t use a normal third party bar right? Honestly might just get a longer stem and some Enve aero bars and call it a day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

BikeTyson wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:47 pm
Lelandjt wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:
Are there still cockpit availability problems these days? It honestly bewilders me that this can happen. Like, Scott, I want to give you thousands of my hard earned dollars if you can just sell me a new handlebar. I’m not going to buy your bike unless I can swap out for a narrow bar. Same with Canyon. I have thousands of dollars set aside for a new bike. Let me give you my money!
Yes. Handlebars will become available in August - October, depending on size. It is very frustrating. The 400-120 that many of us are waiting for is late September.
There’s no reason I couldn’t use a normal third party bar right? Honestly might just get a longer stem and some Enve aero bars and call it a day.
You'd need to shim the 1" steerer and get a headset cap that works with the cables and fits the stem. I think EXS makes the best fitting 3rd party handlebar/stem and headset cover, but I'm holding out for the real thing. Until then I'm riding the 420/120 handlebar it came with.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

rmdt72 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:05 am
Interesting. If I get the chance, I'll definitely try also with other wheels. On the other hand, lowering the spacers by 2cm helped a lot. Although only 1 ride since, but still, first impression is good. It is a default 110mm stem.
That's a lovely paint job and good that less spacers have improved things. I've been working on my set up, just a 5mm spacer for a short test ride today (hopefully, our weather has been utter crap!)

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Lelandjt wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:46 am
BikeTyson wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:
You'd need to shim the 1" steerer and get a headset cap that works with the cables and fits the stem. I think EXS makes the best fitting 3rd party handlebar/stem and headset cover, but I'm holding out for the real thing. Until then I'm riding the 420/120 handlebar it came with.
Yea, the stock option is going to be way to wide for me. In my size, I always get 44cm bars and 110mm stem. The 110 stem I could make work but I normally ride 38 bars. 38 to 44 is just too off to accept. What size frame did you get? 42/120 isn't a very common stock option.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

BikeTyson wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:52 am
Lelandjt wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:

Yea, the stock option is going to be way to wide for me. In my size, I always get 44cm bars and 110mm stem. The 110 stem I could make work but I normally ride 38 bars. 38 to 44 is just too off to accept. What size frame did you get? 42/120 isn't a very common stock option.
My size 58 2023 Foil Ultimate came with the 420/120 bar. So does the size 60. I don't think any sizes come with a 440 bar. If you're getting a size 54 or 56 I think it'll come with 420/110. After many years on 400 and two years on 380, the 420 feels wide but doesn't bother me enough to rush for an ill-fitting replacement before I can get the real thing in the Fall.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

BikeTyson wrote:
I too prefer a 38cm bar. My RC10 (54M) has arrived with bars measuring 42cm at the drops which are more like 40cm at the hoods. Had first ride this morning with the hoods turned inwards to compensate and it was actually very comfortable, as when in a low position you can rest your forearms on the flat tops of the bars.

I will swap out the bars /stem for the Creston Aero one piece once it becomes available in 380/110 but as it stands, don't think I'll be any rush to change.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Lelandjt wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:29 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:

My size 58 2023 Foil Ultimate came with the 420/120 bar. So does the size 60. I don't think any sizes come with a 440 bar. If you're getting a size 54 or 56 I think it'll come with 420/110. After many years on 400 and two years on 380, the 420 feels wide but doesn't bother me enough to rush for an ill-fitting replacement before I can get the real thing in the Fall.
Interesting. And great actually. I could probably deal with the 42 like you said. Every bike I’ve bought in 58 has come with 44s so it’s nice to see a brand going narrower.

Tadhgfish

by Tadhgfish

I'm currently modifying my foil rc30, swapped out 105 for ultegra, swapped the wheels for vision sc40's until I decide what size hypers I want (45/58 or 60/67), schwalbe pro ones 25/30, dura ace rotors, mixed carbon saddle (best bang for buck I've ever come across )and waiting on delivery of a pair of avian Falcon bars 38/100. Projected weight with assioma pedals 7.6kg. here's the issue though, I can't get the front derailleur cage to angle in at the rear so I can position the support screw, the 105 derailleur attaches perfectly, pretty sure the cage isn't bent, its more the design of the ultegra derailleur that seems to be the issue, it doesn't sit in the mount properly. Has anyone else come across this???any fixes greatly appreciated

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Tadhgfish wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:14 pm
I'm currently modifying my foil rc30, swapped out 105 for ultegra, swapped the wheels for vision sc40's until I decide what size hypers I want (45/58 or 60/67), schwalbe pro ones 25/30, dura ace rotors, mixed carbon saddle (best bang for buck I've ever come across )and waiting on delivery of a pair of avian Falcon bars 38/100. Projected weight with assioma pedals 7.6kg. here's the issue though, I can't get the front derailleur cage to angle in at the rear so I can position the support screw, the 105 derailleur attaches perfectly, pretty sure the cage isn't bent, its more the design of the ultegra derailleur that seems to be the issue, it doesn't sit in the mount properly. Has anyone else come across this???any fixes greatly appreciated
Sounds like it may be the little 'frame support bolt', a small tension screw that sits on the inside of the cage and braces the derailleur against the seat tube. Its a 2mm allen head, accessed on the drive side of the mech. If its screwed in too far you won't be able to 'square' the mech on its mount -

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Here's my RC10 complete. Spec is -

Size 54M with 730mm saddle height, 9cm saddle to bar drop
Ultegra 8170 Di2 groupset
Cranks changed out for Dura Ace R9100 with 165mm cranks and AB ovals
Wheelset changed to Roval Rapide CLX with 28mm Conti GP5000 clinchers (28mm)
Saddle changed to Prologo Scratch M5 PAS (carbon rails)
Pedals are Time Xpro15
Bottle cages are Elite Rocko carbon

All the changes took about 500g off the weight, so now about 7.5kg as is. I'm not convinced my scales are the most accurate, but very happy with it (I will re weigh it more accurately at some point).

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

BianchiDave wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:02 pm

Pedals are Time Xpro15

All the changes took about 500g off the weight, so now about 7.5kg as is. I'm not convinced my scales are the most accurate, but very happy with it (I will re weigh it more accurately at some point).
Looks great. How are the cables routed at the bar/stem junction? Did you he through the stem? Is that even possible with that stem or do they have to go underneath?

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

BikeTyson wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:16 pm
BianchiDave wrote:

Pedals are Time Xpro15

Looks great. How are the cables routed at the bar/stem junction? Did you he through the stem? Is that even possible with that stem or do they have to go underneath?
Cheers. The hoses come up within the front of the headtube, in front of the steerer, and the spacers are in 2 parts so you don't have to re route the hoses when lowering the bars. They then go underneath the stem, but are covered for the most part by a plastic cover. At the bars the hoses are hidden by rubber inserts at the stem clamp, kind of like the Tarmac SL7.

There's no question the Creston IC SL Aero would be neater, and a lot lighter, so I will change over at some point.

Meant to add - I cut the steerer tube with the forks in place. No problem with some care, and saves removing the brake hoses to get the forks off

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

BianchiDave wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:00 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:16 pm
BianchiDave wrote:

Pedals are Time Xpro15

Cheers. The hoses come up within the front of the headtube, in front of the steerer, and the spacers are in 2 parts so you don't have to re route the hoses when lowering the bars. They then go underneath the stem, but are covered for the most part by a plastic cover. At the bars the hoses are hidden by rubber inserts at the stem clamp, kind of like the Tarmac SL7.

There's no question the Creston IC SL Aero would be neater, and a lot lighter, so I will change over at some point.

Meant to add - I cut the steerer tube with the forks in place. No problem with some care, and saves removing the brake hoses to get the forks off
Gotcha. So there’s no option to run the cables inside the stem? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

BikeTyson wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:08 pm

Gotcha. So there’s no option to run the cables inside the stem? Thanks.
Correct, the hoses do not go inside this stem. The Creston IC SL is different, with hoses being completely inside the stem/bars