New Scott foil.. at last!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheBelgian

by TheBelgian

I just finished building up my Foil. Base is a 2023 RC 30 size S. Installed/upgraded the following items compared to the stock setup:

- Zipp 404 wheelset
- Galfer rotors
- Shimano Ultegra Di2 shifters
- Shimano Ultegra front derailleur
- Shimano Dura Ace Chain
- Shimanu Ultegra 11-34 cassette
- 4iiii left crank power meter
- Lambda Tuning X-Wing handlebars 42cm version
- Zipp Vuka Clip incl. Alumina EVO 70 extensions aerobars
- SRAM remote shifters connected to Di2 connectors, plugged into the Ultegra shifters.
- Fizik Tempo Microtex Bondcush Soft 3,0 mm black bar tape
- Schwalbe One TLE 28mm tires front and back
- Pro Stealth Performance saddle
- Hidemybell GPS + bell mount
- Look X-Track Race Carbon pedals (still had them in a box here from one of my MTB's).

I kept the 105 rear derailleur as I see no reason to upgrade it.

My previous race bike was a 2020 Scott Addict 20. I used the same Zipp 404 wheelset with the same tires on that one.

I did my first ride with it yesterday. The difference with the Addict is staggering. Of course the bike is faster (the Strava stats don't lie, I had PR's on all segments I passed that ride, and I wasn't even pushing it, was a tempo ride of 45 minutes, 80-90% of FTP). Since the wheels and tires are identical I can compare the frames, and the biggest difference you notice immediately, and no need to ride the bikes back to back, is how much more comfortable the Foil is. Our roads are in pretty bad shape, but comfort wise the thing is closer to my Addict Gravel on 45mm tires than the Addict 20 I used until January 2024. It's crazy. No idea how they pulled this off but I'm seriously impressed.

Also, that Lambda Tuning handlebar is so much fun to ride on the road. It's only 35cm where the shifters attach, and they naturally angle inwards. Feels very natural. I went for that bar and not the narrower one because this one allows me to attach clip on aerobars. It took me a long time to find the right handlebar for this bike, but thanks to this forum I found it :)
IMG_1404 2.JPG
IMG_1406 2.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

I was swapping to the new REd and am having issues with the shifting in the rear. Then I remembered the hanger is for direct mount Shimano., I cant seem to find the hanger I need for Sram. Can aniyone point me in the right direction?

MLSon

by MLSon

Hapsmo911 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:39 am
I was swapping to the new REd and am having issues with the shifting in the rear. Then I remembered the hanger is for direct mount Shimano., I cant seem to find the hanger I need for Sram. Can aniyone point me in the right direction?
Interesting, as for the Sram bikes on the Scott website, the some manual is used as for Shimano.
I only can see they're stating spare parts being:
  • 296605 SCO Dropout Foil /Plasma DM 23
  • 277544 SCO Dropout Addict RC 20
https://www.scott-sports.com/nl/en/prod ... =293184047

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

MLSon wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 10:13 am
Hapsmo911 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:39 am
Interesting, as for the Sram bikes on the Scott website, the some manual is used as for Shimano.
I only can see they're stating spare parts being:
  • 296605 SCO Dropout Foil /Plasma DM 23
  • 277544 SCO Dropout Addict RC 20
https://www.scott-sports.com/nl/en/prod ... =293184047

Yeah I saw the same. I was looking at the pictures in this thread of people who built them up with Sram and the hangers look different but could br camera angles. I called Scott, its part number 277544 if anyone ever needs one

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Got the New Sram Red installed. Took out for a spin today. I really like it. Weighs 17lbs on the nose with pedals. I'm pretty happy with that.

aham23

by aham23

^^^^size?

Looks awesome. Im on a 58 and doing the same!

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

aham23 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 1:16 pm
^^^^size?

Looks awesome. Im on a 58 and doing the same!
I should have included the size sorry, it's a 56

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

TheBelgian wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:42 pm
I just finished building up my Foil. Base is a 2023 RC 30 size S. Installed/upgraded the following items compared to the stock setup:

- Zipp 404 wheelset
- Galfer rotors
- Shimano Ultegra Di2 shifters
- Shimano Ultegra front derailleur
- Shimano Dura Ace Chain
- Shimanu Ultegra 11-34 cassette
- 4iiii left crank power meter
- Lambda Tuning X-Wing handlebars 42cm version
- Zipp Vuka Clip incl. Alumina EVO 70 extensions aerobars
- SRAM remote shifters connected to Di2 connectors, plugged into the Ultegra shifters.
- Fizik Tempo Microtex Bondcush Soft 3,0 mm black bar tape
- Schwalbe One TLE 28mm tires front and back
- Pro Stealth Performance saddle
- Hidemybell GPS + bell mount
- Look X-Track Race Carbon pedals (still had them in a box here from one of my MTB's).

I kept the 105 rear derailleur as I see no reason to upgrade it.

My previous race bike was a 2020 Scott Addict 20. I used the same Zipp 404 wheelset with the same tires on that one.

I did my first ride with it yesterday. The difference with the Addict is staggering. Of course the bike is faster (the Strava stats don't lie, I had PR's on all segments I passed that ride, and I wasn't even pushing it, was a tempo ride of 45 minutes, 80-90% of FTP). Since the wheels and tires are identical I can compare the frames, and the biggest difference you notice immediately, and no need to ride the bikes back to back, is how much more comfortable the Foil is. Our roads are in pretty bad shape, but comfort wise the thing is closer to my Addict Gravel on 45mm tires than the Addict 20 I used until January 2024. It's crazy. No idea how they pulled this off but I'm seriously impressed.

Also, that Lambda Tuning handlebar is so much fun to ride on the road. It's only 35cm where the shifters attach, and they naturally angle inwards. Feels very natural. I went for that bar and not the narrower one because this one allows me to attach clip on aerobars. It took me a long time to find the right handlebar for this bike, but thanks to this forum I found it :)

IMG_1404 2.JPG
IMG_1406 2.jpg
you don't mention it, however what stem are you running? The supplied one?

in terms of weight how does the carbon bar supplied with the 10 compare with the Lambda Tuning X-Wing bars?
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

TIRE CLEARANCE
Scott lists the max tire size as 30mm. I'm going to use the Zipp 454 NSW wheels (23mm internal) that came on my Foil* as an "all road" wheelset for a loop that is 70% good pavement, 20% rough pavement, 10% gravel. I tried 30mm GP5000 TRs and there is still a lot of tire clearance in the rear, which is the limiting factor. The fork has plenty. I just ordered 32mm GP5ks and expecting to still have safe clearance and a better tire size for the gravel.

*My main wheelset is Hyper D67 w/25mm GP5000 tubed.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Hi guys
In the market for a new aero bike and considering the Foil RC10 or aeroad CF SLX, both Ultegra spec. Currently have the old Foil Premium (2016 rim) and a 2021 Addict RC so may just continue with Scott.

Just a quick query - the RC 10 comes with the non integrated bars. How are they weight wise and does anyone know the width of the bars as shopped on a size 54 M?

Not a deal breaker as I have 38cm Vision bars on my current Foil which I could fit onto the new Foil's stem.

Cheers
Dave

Ytse

by Ytse

BianchiDave wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:16 am
Hi guys
In the market for a new aero bike and considering the Foil RC10 or aeroad CF SLX, both Ultegra spec. Currently have the old Foil Premium (2016 rim) and a 2021 Addict RC so may just continue with Scott.

Just a quick query - the RC 10 comes with the non integrated bars. How are they weight wise and does anyone know the width of the bars as shopped on a size 54 M?

Not a deal breaker as I have 38cm Vision bars on my current Foil which I could fit onto the new Foil's stem.

Cheers
Dave
Per my LBS, the 54/M comes with a 42cm handlebar as a factory install. I'm not sure about the weight of the handlebar. What makes this stuff a heavy setup is the stem though. At least this is the situation with the Addict RC's factory alloy stem.
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Ytse wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:41 pm

Per my LBS, the 54/M comes with a 42cm handlebar as a factory install. I'm not sure about the weight of the handlebar. What makes this stuff a heavy setup is the stem though. At least this is the situation with the Addict RC's factory alloy stem.
Thanks Ytse, I feared they might be that wide. I don't know why manufacturers insist on fitting such wide bars to aero bikes.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Another quick query I hope someone can help with. I'd be buying a 54M, same as my Addict RC. With a 730mm saddle height would this be OK? Or would it look a bit odd? I think a 52S would be a bit short on reach (I have shorter legs, longer torso)

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Lelandjt wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:46 pm
TIRE CLEARANCE
Scott lists the max tire size as 30mm. I'm going to use the Zipp 454 NSW wheels (23mm internal) that came on my Foil* as an "all road" wheelset for a loop that is 70% good pavement, 20% rough pavement, 10% gravel. I tried 30mm GP5000 TRs and there is still a lot of tire clearance in the rear, which is the limiting factor. The fork has plenty. I just ordered 32mm GP5ks and expecting to still have safe clearance and a better tire size for the gravel.

*My main wheelset is Hyper D67 w/25mm GP5000 tubed.
before I went tubeless I ran a nominally 28mm Conti 4k on the rear which blew up to 32mm, and still space even then.
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

Ytse

by Ytse

BianchiDave wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:22 pm
Thanks Ytse, I feared they might be that wide. I don't know why manufacturers insist on fitting such wide bars to aero bikes.
Worst is that aftermarket sourcing a 38 or 40 cm handlebar for the Foil RC with the proper stem length can take ages. This was one of the reasons I gave up on the Foil and bought an SL8 (which is a stunning bike BTW).
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com