New Scott foil.. at last!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Indyx

by Indyx

Nereth wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:57 am
Jorisvc,

I have the full carbon post because I didn't want to bother with the grease.

The seat clamp - unlike saddle - has been mechanically excellent, tightens up and releases really smoothly and doesn't bind at all. Doesn't slip under gravity when loose either, which is cool.

I think the reason for the 10Nm is the larger than normal thread size on the bolt - larger diameter threads have more friction and a lower pitch - they generate less tension for a given torque so I wasn't surprised the spec was higher. Having said that I had been doing 9-9.5Nm because I usually run about 90% of rated on most pinch bolts on carbon, due to my distrust of torque as a tension setting mechanism.

No problems yet but have only done a single (~60km) ride. Based on your story, I will probably go home and test how well it holds at 5 and 10Nm, and maybe run it at 8 from now on if it holds OK at 5.
I torque my seatpost clamp to 10NM with carbon paste on the post, and regular grease on the bolt/mechanism (like the manual says), and I have no issues.

I did have issue with the seat post creaking as I did not originally put grease between the post and the seatpost "wing".

Also, I did not clamp the seat itself to 16NM as the manual says. It appeared my seat rail clamps were deforming around 10 NM so I stopped at 10nm.

elmtree

by elmtree

Nereth wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:40 am
So I've been consistently frustrated with the flexyness of front end of the foil. Said flexyness does not seem to be reflected in the tour magazin tests, but then those tests would have been on a) the higher modulus frame b) the full carbon handlebar.

Doing a bit of pushing and prodding, I reckon it's the stock alloy stem that's incredibly flexy. If you look at it, it's got an incredibly thin profile vertically, like a bit of flat bar projecting out to the handlebars. In addition, the entire stem/spacer arrangement is incredibly wide laterally, despite the narrow 1" steerer in the core of it. By contrast, my venge has a 1 1/8" steerer but the whole arrangement is narrower.

So, I'm thinking of doing a silly thing and mounting the stem from my crashed venge onto it, using a 1" to 1 1/8" shim to account for the thin steerer, and using a 3d printed adaptor to smoothly narrow down from the foil-sized dust cover over the bearing to the venge-sized spacers that will then be mounted on top. I've already checked side by side and the cables actually run through exactly the same spot on both of them, so that should be pretty drama free...

If anyone has any reason to say I should stop this travesty right now before I start investing time into it... I'm listening...
Any updates on this? I love the rc30s color and design, but the front end flexyness is scaring me off

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nereth

by Nereth

I've started designing the part but I'm on a trip for work so won't be progressing for a couple weeks. Need to buy the stem shim as well and wait for that to arrive.

Nereth

by Nereth

elmtree wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:14 pm
Nereth wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:40 am
So I've been consistently frustrated with the flexyness of front end of the foil. Said flexyness does not seem to be reflected in the tour magazin tests, but then those tests would have been on a) the higher modulus frame b) the full carbon handlebar.

Doing a bit of pushing and prodding, I reckon it's the stock alloy stem that's incredibly flexy. If you look at it, it's got an incredibly thin profile vertically, like a bit of flat bar projecting out to the handlebars. In addition, the entire stem/spacer arrangement is incredibly wide laterally, despite the narrow 1" steerer in the core of it. By contrast, my venge has a 1 1/8" steerer but the whole arrangement is narrower.

So, I'm thinking of doing a silly thing and mounting the stem from my crashed venge onto it, using a 1" to 1 1/8" shim to account for the thin steerer, and using a 3d printed adaptor to smoothly narrow down from the foil-sized dust cover over the bearing to the venge-sized spacers that will then be mounted on top. I've already checked side by side and the cables actually run through exactly the same spot on both of them, so that should be pretty drama free...

If anyone has any reason to say I should stop this travesty right now before I start investing time into it... I'm listening...
Any updates on this? I love the rc30s color and design, but the front end flexyness is scaring me off
Follow up: Some progress.

The way it works is that you would glue in a standard cylindrical stem spacer into the shaft down the middle of this, so this is an entirely non-structural fairing. There is a split at the front of this which flexes open and closed using the natural elasticity of e.g. PLA. I've used a very similar system on a previous bike and it works well and is quite subtle in black, hidden under the stem.

However the spacer of theirs that I am replacing is fairly complex how it locks into the topcap cover below, and there are some difficult angles to try to match (and I don't wanna use the work CMM/3D scanner on home stuff, kinda unprofessional), so I expect this will take a few iterations to get right, and the work 3D printer (which I can actually use) is dead so I may have to get all those iterations printed by an actual business. So it's a while away.

Untitled.png
Last edited by Nereth on Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nereth

by Nereth

*delete*

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

I just picked up a 2023 Foil 30. I am planning on swapping my Sram force/red stuff over. I have gotten real used to bars with a little flare. I love my ENVE 39/44 bars. Is this flex in the stem a thing? I would order the new syncross bars in 42 if I have to.

Nereth

by Nereth

OK so I'm glad you asked, because I think I have given an unfair assessment.

Since that original post, I found that the stem bolts were a little loose (last person that touched those was the shop cutting the stem to length...) and the stem had worked itself out a little bit of play in the headset. It's winter here and the Foil is my fair weather bike, so it's only been a half dozen rides since then, but I haven't had the same unsettling moments of percieved flex since I tightened everything up.

So, I have put a hold on replacing my stem and designing a new transition piece, and we shall see. If I do feel the flex again, I'll resume that project and I'll let everyone know.

Nereth

by Nereth

Has anyone who is running the flexi-seatpost built up some experience with the regreasing process? I'm running a solid, zero-offset seatpost but I'm considering buying the flexy zero offset for more comfort.

The regrease-every-1,000-ks thing scares me though.

How long does it take? Definitely necessary to do?

Ytse

by Ytse

Did anyone have the opportunity to measure the outer width of the 50mm Syncros Capital 1.0 carbon wheelset that comes stock with the Foil RC 20? Factory data only shows 21mm internal width, I wonder if it's wide enough to run with 28mm tubeless tyres (Schwalbe Pro One or GP5000 STR).
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

HBike

by HBike

Ytse wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:26 am
Did anyone have the opportunity to measure the outer width of the 50mm Syncros Capital 1.0 carbon wheelset that comes stock with the Foil RC 20? Factory data only shows 21mm internal width, I wonder if it's wide enough to run with 28mm tubeless tyres (Schwalbe Pro One or GP5000 STR).
I replaced them with the Bontrager, but had them on my Addict RC. Directly at the rim its 28mm wide and increases to almost 30mm further to the middle of the rim.
Its not hookless and can easily be used with 28mm tubeless tires. Fine wheels.

Ytse

by Ytse

HBike wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:58 am
Ytse wrote:
I replaced them with the Bontrager, but had them on my Addict RC. Directly at the rim its 28mm wide and increases to almost 30mm further to the middle of the rim.
I run Roval Rapide CL IIs on my current bike and I'm very satified with them. No, I am amazed by them, as they are reasonably light, wide and absolutely zero crosswind impact. I wonder if I'd feel the same with the Capitals or should I budget a wheel upgrade right at the start.

HBike

by HBike

Ytse wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:24 pm
HBike wrote:
Ytse wrote:
I run Roval Rapide CL IIs on my current bike and I'm very satified with them. No, I am amazed by them, as they are reasonably light, wide and absolutely zero crosswind impact. I wonder if I'd feel the same with the Capitals or should I budget a wheel upgrade right at the start.
The Syncros are more susceptible to crosswind than the Aeolus RSL 51. I don't have experience with the Roval, though.

Ytse

by Ytse

HBike wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:01 pm
Ytse wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:24 pm
HBike wrote:
Ytse wrote:
The Syncros are more susceptible to crosswind than the Aeolus RSL 51. I don't have experience with the Roval, though.
I assume they are close to the Bora WTO 60s I run on my other bike.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Getting the RC10 - does anyone know if the wheels (Syncros Capital 1.0 50) are supplied with tubeless valves?

And does anyone have any experience of running them with Schwalbe Pro One TLE tyres? Hoping they go on with thumbs are innlate using just a floor pump

Cheers

Six13
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

I decided to get the one piece bar and stem for my 2023 Foil. The dealer is telling me delivery isnt until october ... :( Had I known I would like this bike so much I would have just purchased the Foil 10... Oh well