New Scott foil.. at last!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ytse

by Ytse

BianchiDave wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:04 pm
Another quick query I hope someone can help with. I'd be buying a 54M, same as my Addict RC. With a 730mm saddle height would this be OK? Or would it look a bit odd? I think a 52S would be a bit short on reach (I have shorter legs, longer torso)
AFAIK the Foil RC and Addict RC share the same geo, so if you find your 54 Addict RC comfy, why would you size down? Especially given the fact that sourcing a longer stem / barstem would be a nightmare for the Foil. My seat height on the Addict RC is 72.5mm and I don't think it looks unproportional. What may look unproportional is a stack of spacers under the bar if you don't have the flexibility to ride an aggressive geo racebike. So I'd definitely stay with the 54.
Last edited by Ytse on Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

HBike

by HBike

Ytse wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:42 pm
BianchiDave wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:04 pm
Another quick query I hope someone can help with. I'd be buying a 54M, same as my Addict RC. With a 730mm saddle height would this be OK? Or would it look a bit odd? I think a 52S would be a bit short on reach (I have shorter legs, longer torso)
AFAIK the Foil RC and Addict RC share the same geo, so if you find your 54 Addict RC comfy, why would you size down? Especially given the fact that sourcing a longer stem / barstem would be a nightmare for the Foil. My seat height on the Addict RC is 72.5mm and I don't think it looks unproportional. What look unproportional is a stack of spacers under the bar if you don't have the flexibility to ride an aggressive geo racebike. So I'd definitely stay with the 54.
Yes, the Addict RC has the same geo. I own the Addict RC, however if you are in between sizes, sizing down could be an option. I think the Foil looks weird in 58 compared to 56, having a huge head tube - additionally I saw many images of riders using quite a few spacers on the 56. The looks were quite nice, much better than what I see on other bikes. So regarding the Foil I would consider spacers.
Another issue is the bar width. On my Addict the 58 had 44cm bar width.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Yes, think I'll go with 54, makes most sense. It has a taller head tube than the Addict RC, so I'll probably be able to run it pretty much slammed. I'm 51 but but still fairly flexible! I have only a 10mm spacer + the headset cap thingy on my Addict

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Lelandjt wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:46 pm
TIRE CLEARANCE
Scott lists the max tire size as 30mm. I'm going to use the Zipp 454 NSW wheels (23mm internal) that came on my Foil* as an "all road" wheelset for a loop that is 70% good pavement, 20% rough pavement, 10% gravel. I tried 30mm GP5000 TRs and there is still a lot of tire clearance in the rear, which is the limiting factor. The fork has plenty. I just ordered 32mm GP5ks and expecting to still have safe clearance and a better tire size for the gravel.

*My main wheelset is Hyper D67 w/25mm GP5000 tubed.
I mounted the 32mm GP5K AS TRs (on 23mm internal rims) and there's still a safe amout of clearance in the rear. These should make a great "all road" wheelset to complement my "normal road" 25mm GP5K tubed on 21mm rim.

rmdt72

by rmdt72

BianchiDave wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:22 pm
Ytse wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:41 pm

Per my LBS, the 54/M comes with a 42cm handlebar as a factory install. I'm not sure about the weight of the handlebar. What makes this stuff a heavy setup is the stem though. At least this is the situation with the Addict RC's factory alloy stem.
Thanks Ytse, I feared they might be that wide. I don't know why manufacturers insist on fitting such wide bars to aero bikes.
Foil is different. I recently bought Foil RC 20 (2024) and it came with 40cm bar.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

rmdt72 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:23 pm

Foil is different. I recently bought Foil RC 20 (2024) and it came with 40cm bar.
Thank you. RC 10 is ordered (a closeout deal on a 2023) so will see what it comes with next week. Might not be in such a rush to change a 40cm, which can be partially alleviated with turning the levers in :)

I also asked the dealer about the seatpost issues discussed previously in this thread, and been assured it was only the earliest of bikes they had in stock that required the replacement post. Mine will however be double checked prior to shipment.

BigBoss

by BigBoss

rmdt72 wrote:
Hi there. Is is possible to share some pics? I couldn't find any real life ones of the 2024 color on the internet. Thanks.

rmdt72

by rmdt72

BianchiDave wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:24 pm
rmdt72 wrote:

Thank you. RC 10 is ordered (a closeout deal on a 2023) so will see what it comes with next week. Might not be in such a rush to change a 40cm, which can be partially alleviated with turning the levers in :)

I also asked the dealer about the seatpost issues discussed previously in this thread, and been assured it was only the earliest of bikes they had in stock that required the replacement post. Mine will however be double checked prior to shipment.
Oh Ultegra. Nice! Ultegra should have 1s wheels though. I find the front end very twitchy. I don't know if it is the fact that I have 4cm default spacers underneath still, but it is incredibly unstable. Coming from 42cm bar to 40cm with 60mm wheels... I have the first service on Monday and we'll lower the front end for 2cm. We'll see.
BigBoss wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:25 am

Hi there. Is is possible to share some pics? I couldn't find any real life ones of the 2024 color on the internet. Thanks.
Sure. I'll get some during the weekend. Pictures don't do justice for RC20 paintjob though. Grey/black when it is cloudy, but full rainbow sparkle on the sun. Similar to Trek Project One colors. Very nice!!

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

rmdt72 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:49 pm

Oh Ultegra. Nice! Ultegra should have 1s wheels though. I find the front end very twitchy. I don't know if it is the fact that I have 4cm default spacers underneath still, but it is incredibly unstable. Coming from 42cm bar to 40cm with 60mm wheels... I have the first service on Monday and we'll lower the front end for 2cm. We'll see.
I'll be putting Roval CLX Rapide wheels on the Foil, and the syncros stock wheels will be transferred onto my Addict.

The Rovals are not twitcy at all, and brilliant in cross winds.

I run the 380 /110 creston sl on my Addict and find them rock solid (with the Rovals).

What length stem are you running? Shorter stems certainly make a bike feel very twitchy, especially with narrower bars. Removing a couple of spacers will hopefully improve things though 👌

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

RC10 in size 54M arrived yesterday. Notice I didn't say 'my' RC10 as I'm not sure I'll be keeping it. It seems bloody massive, looks like a farm gate next to my Addict RC in same 'size'.

According to geometry charts they share stack and reach. The headtube on the Foil is much higher though, 141mm v 135mm on the Addict, as is the seat tube, 522 mm v 480 mm on Addict. Both measurements result in the top tube being a good bit higher, hence my gate comment.

I should be able to get my position ok (by basically slamming the stem) but I'm just not convinced on the 'look' which seems far too big for me, and its a lot of money spend if I'm not entirely happy. Can't help thinking a 52S would be better for me, but I would need to fit a longer stem. Typically a 52 is not available at the price I paid! Have a decision to make today, does it stay or does it go!?......

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

A world where a 54 looks huge is a different world than I live in. 52s look tiny to me. Slam the stem and enjoy it. Here's my 58 that feels nimble compared to my usual 60 or 61s.
20240414_124614.jpg
EDIT: A 48cm seat tube on a "size 54" Addict? It seems like that's the frame with the weird geometry, not the "size 54" Foil with the nearly 53cm seat tube.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Lelandjt wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:17 am
A world where a 54 looks huge is a different world than I live in. 52s look tiny to me. Slam the stem and enjoy it. Here's my 58 that feels nimble compared to my usual 60 or 61s.
20240414_124614.jpg

EDIT: A 48cm seat tube on a "size 54" Addict? It seems like that's the frame with the weird geometry, not the "size 54" Foil with the nearly 53cm seat tube.
No, you're correct. Think I was looking at wrong geometry. Anyway, decided to keep it, Rovals are on with my 165 DA cranks now. I'll get some pics up once done 👍

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Are there still cockpit availability problems these days? It honestly bewilders me that this can happen. Like, Scott, I want to give you thousands of my hard earned dollars if you can just sell me a new handlebar. I’m not going to buy your bike unless I can swap out for a narrow bar. Same with Canyon. I have thousands of dollars set aside for a new bike. Let me give you my money!

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

BikeTyson wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:23 pm
Are there still cockpit availability problems these days? It honestly bewilders me that this can happen. Like, Scott, I want to give you thousands of my hard earned dollars if you can just sell me a new handlebar. I’m not going to buy your bike unless I can swap out for a narrow bar. Same with Canyon. I have thousands of dollars set aside for a new bike. Let me give you my money!
Yes. Handlebars will become available in August - October, depending on size. It is very frustrating. The 400-120 that many of us are waiting for is late September.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

As a current foil owner myself, I wish Scott made sold some of the sizes they make for the pros. As with many other big brands making integrated bars, they don’t go narrow enough at the levers and they don’t make stems long enough. This is especially painful when Scott makes thier bikes with 1 in steerer tubes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk