New Scott foil.. at last!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aham23

by aham23

Lelandjt wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:55 pm
Stock build 2023 Foil Ultimate 58cm, 7.43kg w/DA pedals.
20240327_130130.jpg

My build: DA9200, Hyper D67s, Hylix, Galfer (waiting for the stem cap, lighter brake pads, Prestacycle 11-25 cassette, and 400x120 handlebar that should drop another 150g+) 6.81kg
20240414_124614.jpg
The matte gold Lizard Skins bar tape looks mustard in the overcast photo but is great looking on a sunny day.

Any feedback on the Hylix and Galfer Rotos? Thinking about going the same route.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

SixThirteen wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:27 am
aero2kreuzberg wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:09 pm
Hey folks, was curious if everyone is still loving their Foil RCs? I have read all 26 pages of this thread and will do so again but was curious if anyone had updates about ownership. I'm aware of the known seatpost creak issue but I test rode a 2023 RC 20 at a LBS and looooved it. I am checking out other bikes too but nothing is looking or feeling as good. I rode a very old Trek roadbike for 5 years, switched to a Trek Crockett about 4 years ago, but now I want to add to the collection something that feels fast and looks amazing. I know an endurance or climber bike is probably more likely to take me on longer rides, but I kinda have my Crockett for that. I'm not in an area with many hills so also not as concerned about climbing. I'm riding with my hands in the drops on the Trek often, so not too worried about the posture/flexibility, and am happy to do stretches to help if needed... Just still some part of my brain worries that I should get something a little lighter and more upright, with what all the articles say. Anyway - thanks for any thoughts and hope everyone is riding safe and enjoying!
I've had my RC10 for about 8 months and done 5,396 km according to Strava. My seatpost creaked initially, however the bike shop solved with grease.

I did consider the Addict, but for almost all my riding aero is more important than savings a few grams, however, this is WW of course so there were some obvious improvement opportunities

- The 50mm Creston wheels it was supplied with were rather heavy so I got some Elite 40s in a Black Friday sale. That dropped about 400g

- The tyres were heavy Schwalbe Ones at about 345g ! each ! Replaced with SWorks Griptons so that dropped another ~240g ie 120g a tyre

- The tubes were heavy ones so I changed to latex and save another ~80g ie 40g a tube

- the saddle didn't suit my butt so I changed to a 5D and saved ~110g

Things I will likely do in the future

- switch to Galfer rotors. The Elites have DA rotors so I can save another ~80g for both

- possibly get the Hylix seatpost and that will save ~100g

Would I buy again? Yes I would.

Currently Scotts are on sale and in AU for example, the RC30 is a total bargain at about $6k AUD. TBH I prefer the RC30 red colourway but there were none in AU in my size when I was in the market last year. The RC10 is $9k AUD and even the RC Pro is down to $14k AUD

edited to add more weight savings things I did
I weighed the supplied thru axles, and they are 52g for both, so its not really worth getting the J&L ones to save 12g

Current weight is 7,780g with Assiomas Duos, Garmin mount, 1 x bottle cage and rear light bracket, so maybe 7,450g or a touch less "clean"

If I get the Galfer rotors and Hylix seatpost I'll be in the 7,270g ish range clean
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

safd009 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:29 pm
Just got a new RC 30! Am thinking about switching the cockpit for an integrated solution like the Canary, but it feels the bike was made for a super big stem. Not sure if the bike looks right without the stem or the official cockpits even with 3d printed spacers. I don't want to pay $600 for the Syncros upgrade, which seems difficult to get anyway, but wondering about great aero handlebar only alternatives that are under 200g and under $300, come available in 36mm and have flare in the drops. And can take integrated cables really close to the stem connection just like the original RC 30 bars.

(Please let me know in case I'm being silly)
what would the new cockpit do for you? Lighter, better fit, better shaped bars... ?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

aham23 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:00 pm
Lelandjt wrote:
20240327_130130.jpg

My build: DA9200, Hyper D67s, Hylix, Galfer (waiting for the stem cap, lighter brake pads, Prestacycle 11-25 cassette, and 400x120 handlebar that should drop another 150g+) 6.81kg
20240414_124614.jpg
The matte gold Lizard Skins bar tape looks mustard in the overcast photo but is great looking on a sunny day.

Any feedback on the Hylix and Galfer Rotos? Thinking about going the same route.
The Hylix is working fine, but know that it's a couple cm shorter than stock. I'm right on its "min insertion" writing and thought I might have to go back to stock for more height, but have settled on this height. The galfer rotors have worked fine. I've got an extra 140 I'd sell for a little less than online retail prices,and ship it much faster, DM me.

safd009

by safd009

SixThirteen wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:30 am
safd009 wrote:
Just got a new RC 30! Am thinking about switching the cockpit for an integrated solution like the Canary, but it feels the bike was made for a super big stem. Not sure if the bike looks right without the stem or the official cockpits even with 3d printed spacers. I don't want to pay $600 for the Syncros upgrade, which seems difficult to get anyway, but wondering about great aero handlebar only alternatives that are under 200g and under $300, come available in 36mm and have flare in the drops. And can take integrated cables really close to the stem connection just like the original RC 30 bars.

what would the new cockpit do for you? Lighter, better fit, better shaped bars... ?
Ah yes. A 36mm option and weight loss. The rc30 cockpit is listed as 560g.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

safd009 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:13 am
SixThirteen wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:30 am
safd009 wrote:

Ah yes. A 36mm option and weight loss. The rc30 cockpit is listed as 560g.
yeah those alloy bars aren't light

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

Lelandjt wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:55 am
aham23 wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:
20240327_130130.jpg

20240414_124614.jpg

The Hylix is working fine, but know that it's a couple cm shorter than stock. I'm right on its "min insertion" writing and thought I might have to go back to stock for more height, but have settled on this height. The galfer rotors have worked fine. I've got an extra 140 I'd sell for a little less than online retail prices,and ship it much faster, DM me.
whereabouts are you? I may be interested

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

SixThirteen wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:45 am
Lelandjt wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:55 am
aham23 wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:
20240327_130130.jpg

20240414_124614.jpg

whereabouts are you? I may be interested
Mystic, CT USA. I bought two 140 rotors before realizing the Foil only allows 160 or 180(!) front. Also bought two 140 Dura-ace rotors before discovering the lighter Galfers. This has been an expensive build! Bought Praxis 39/53 rings before THM told me I had to use Carbon-Ti with the Clavicula & DA9200.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

"Foil only allows 160" on the front

Well that was a surprise to hear, so I looked up a photo I have of an RC Pro belongong to a current DSM rider, and looks like he has 160 on the front.

I'm in Australia, so posting to me is likely not worthwhile

Nereth

by Nereth

<snip>

Sorry, dumb post.

safd009

by safd009

Nereth wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 pm
I don't know why, but it does indeed move way easier when turned from the back with a rod through the holes as described in the manual.

It binds up pretty hardcore you try to yank on the saddle alone.
I'm in this situation now - so I really just put in a 4mm hey key and push it counter clockwise (from the drive side) until it budges? Mine seems incredibly stuck and I feel I'd break the bike or the key. How does it stay stuck normally once you budge the tilt part?

Nereth

by Nereth

No, put a tool in BOTH SIDES (drive side and non-drive side) of the clamp (there's a hole in each side), and push down/pull up on both of them equally until it shifts. It shouldn't take a jaw-clenching amount of load to make it happen*, and it will be a lot freer once it has moved, although it will still be a little sticky (stiction-y, more specifically).

*Even with that trick, you need to have also (a) greased the conical interface beforehand (b) be loose enough in the clamping bolt that there is a little slop. It can't really be done part-tight.

But at least with that trick, it's workable. Before I used that trick, trying to move it via the saddle like I would a normal clamp, I had to pull on it so hard I bent saddle rails.

TheBelgian

by TheBelgian

Nereth wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 8:51 am
No, put a tool in BOTH SIDES (drive side and non-drive side) of the clamp (there's a hole in each side), and push down/pull up on both of them equally until it shifts. It shouldn't take a jaw-clenching amount of load to make it happen*, and it will be a lot freer once it has moved, although it will still be a little sticky (stiction-y, more specifically).

*Even with that trick, you need to have also (a) greased the conical interface beforehand (b) be loose enough in the clamping bolt that there is a little slop. It can't really be done part-tight.

But at least with that trick, it's workable. Before I used that trick, trying to move it via the saddle like I would a normal clamp, I had to pull on it so hard I bent saddle rails.
This does not work for everyone. I put A LOT of grease on those parts, and your best bet to move it is using 2 4mm hex wrenches that are 50cm long :lol:
As soon as you tighten it up, it all binds together again and it takes a rubber mallet to get them to move.

TheBelgian

by TheBelgian

safd009 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:56 am
I'm in this situation now - so I really just put in a 4mm hey key and push it counter clockwise (from the drive side) until it budges? Mine seems incredibly stuck and I feel I'd break the bike or the key. How does it stay stuck normally once you budge the tilt part?

You won't break the bike. What I would suggest the first time: remove the saddle and all loose parts, put a long hex key through one side, make sure you have a way of catching it when it loosens, and bang with a rubber mallet on your hex key. It will undo itself from the seatpost and fly away :D

They made it a conical press fit. No idea why.
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 12.34.52.jpg

MLSon

by MLSon

Hey chaps. So the TPU insert / new seat tube is a winner. Had some noise still but turned out to be the removable cap. However, again now my saddle is shifting.

I received a new saddle (Pro Stealth) under warranty when the new seat tube was installed, because the first one was pretty bad due all the shifting.

I did hundreds of KM's in Mallorca the last days and whilst washing the bike only noticed the saddle was moved (and the rail damaged as in not black anymore but shiny so to say). I'm measuring the Pro rails 6.9mm and the saddle was put on by the LBS so I assume, especially because my bike was with them a couple of times now, that they had a good look after the fastening of everything.

Anyone else with similar experience?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com