Classified hub - Is this the new big thing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

elmtree

by elmtree

PaulJ wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:43 pm
Personally I think a larger small - big difference is really where the benefits of this will lie. While the ratio is ~0.7, essentially mimicking a conventional 2x front setup, it doesn't really solve a problem for me. But change that ratio and all of a sudden you have no overlap, 22 discrete gears. Or where you would normally have a 1x large range cassette, on a gravel bike for example, you can now get the same absolute range but with much closer jumps and double the gears in between. Plus there probably wont be the same weight penalty if you're ditching a heavy 11-42 cassette for this system.
It would be super cool, but one issue is that if you wanted to hang out around the point where the hub shifts. Your derailleur would be swinging from top to bottom cog. I think I tiny bit of overlap would be best, but having an 11-22 cassette and 1 tooth jumps until 22, then 2 tooth jumps up to 44 would be wild!

Or even do a 13-24 cassette and stick a 60 tooth chain ring on to up the drivetrain efficiency

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PaulJ

by PaulJ

elmtree wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:56 pm

It would be super cool, but one issue is that if you wanted to hang out around the point where the hub shifts. Your derailleur would be swinging from top to bottom cog. I think I tiny bit of overlap would be best, but having an 11-22 cassette and 1 tooth jumps until 22, then 2 tooth jumps up to 44 would be wild!

Or even do a 13-24 cassette and stick a 60 tooth chain ring on to up the drivetrain efficiency
A very good point - I'd not considered what the rear mech would be up to with it having to go from one extreme to the other when the hub shifts.

Back to me being a sceptic about the system I think :lol:

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Is no one mentioning Campaenarts apparently running this at the weekend with a 62t chainring?

jayjay

by jayjay

Tifosiphil wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:58 pm
Is no one mentioning Campaenarts apparently running this at the weekend with a 62t chainring?
It has been discussed in this other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169944

hansotto089

by hansotto089

Does anybody know how the Classified Powershift plays with the Di2 Semi-Synchro shift?

Lina

by Lina

Anyone asking for bigger gap do keep in mind that it becomes unusable if you have to dump the cassette every single time you switch the hub

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Lina wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:57 pm
Anyone asking for bigger gap do keep in mind that it becomes unusable if you have to dump the cassette every single time you switch the hub
You'd almost think some of the posters in this thread have not riden a bicycle! :D
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lina wrote:

Though on the other hand the “front shift” happens instantly with no change in chain wrap, so it can be done simultaneously with one rear derailleur shift completely seamlessly. With AXS, unless I turn on the automatic compensation shift, I have to do the two shifts sequentially.

Also in gravel where gear ranges and jumps are higher coupled with smaller chainrings, a bigger “front shift” jump would be less likely to force a multi-shift in the rear.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

hansotto089 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:01 pm
Does anybody know how the Classified Powershift plays with the Di2 Semi-Synchro shift?
It can't be shifted under ANY load so I wouldn't want to be caught by a surprise automated "front" shift.

elmtree

by elmtree

Lelandjt wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:52 pm
hansotto089 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:01 pm
It can't be shifted under ANY load so I wouldn't want to be caught by a surprise automated "front" shift.
It can be shifted to to 1000w iirc. I think it's better than front derailleurs for shifting under load

Sock3t

by Sock3t

It's awesome but if you get a rear flat during a race you...lost your derailleur.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Sock3t wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:30 pm
It's awesome but if you get a rear flat during a race you...lost your derailleur.
Pros rely primarily on full bike swaps when able. In situations where they would be taking neutral wheels on a climb, then yes this could be a problem. If you flat on a climb, your race/stage is likely over anyway.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:41 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:30 pm
Pros rely primarily on full bike swaps when able. In situations where they would be taking neutral wheels on a climb, then yes this could be a problem. If you flat on a climb, your race/stage is likely over anyway.
Yeah I'm not a pro. I'm a Cat 3 and I don't think the neutral car is going to have a wheel with a derailleur in the hub.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Sock3t wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:34 am

Yeah I'm not a pro. I'm a Cat 3 and I don't think the neutral car is going to have a wheel with a derailleur in the hub.

How often do you take neutral wheels? The only time I've ever had real neutral support in a lower category race was at Sea Otter. At Cascade Classic, "neutral wheels" meant anyone who put a spare in a SAG vehicle had access to anyone else's wheels if they flatted. With disc this was a problem because at the time I was set up with a 140mm rear. I was the only person who put disc wheels in the car so I was supposed to be the only one permitted to take my disc wheels. Instead the SAG driver let someone use both my spare wheels even though he was set up for 160mm rear.

Anyway if you are lucky enough to have a follow car, then it's on you to bring a spare wheel that works for your drivetrain…doesn’t matter if it’s Classified or 9-speed or AXS or what.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:08 pm
Lina wrote:
You'd almost think some of the posters in this thread have not riden a bicycle! :D
The 16t jump on Shimano is fine for me. I would prefer 17t or 18t, though. The AXS 13t just seems like an idiotic way to increase tooth jumps on the cassette.

Couple reasons for my views:
1. I shift the rear hundreds of times for each FD shift so I'd rather have small jumps where I shift more often. I'm in the small ring only if I almost run out of range on the cassette.
2. I don't "dump" that many gears at once. Before an FD shift, cadence starts to slow (or speed up) until it's near the end of the comfortable cadence range, and then it shift close to the other end. In reality, I'm shifting maybe 2 gears in the back after an FD shift. If I had to shift 3-4, I wouldn't mind, if it meant having a tighter cassette for the same range.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com