Classified hub - Is this the new big thing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Check this out and let's here what you guys think!!

https://classified-cycling.cc/technology/
Last edited by robbosmans on Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed title
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

Proof of the pudding will be in the eating......but the idea is good

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

I'm looking forward to it and will likely be an early adopter once it's available.

The only quirk is rechargeable electronic parts on a bicycle will always be a departure from the traditional elegance and simplicity of a mechanical bike. What makes this interesting is that even if the 2x part runs out of juice, you'd still have the range of your traditional cassette based on where ever your Classified Hub died on.

Not shabby, I'd try it.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

You used to be abel to get 3x and i think 5x sturmey archer hubs that would take a 5 or 6 speed freewheel years ago.
Much enjoyed by your alpine super distance touring cyclist. near enough 100 selectable ratios if you put it together "right".

Think brompton still have something similar. As always with hub gears, it'll live and die on the losses.

AJS914

by AJS914

Yeah, a 2 speed hub is not new technology. The bluetooth part is interesting. If it was integrated with an electronic rear derailleur, it could be an interesting wide range fully sequential gear solution.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Next big thing... 'big' as in heavy? Probably not more than an additional chainring, front mech...

Lewn777

by Lewn777

No.
It's over complex, you gain some places but lose others. You will likely get tied into the technology if you get a frame and wheels with it and normal stuff will be incompatible. Will the tech be shelved in the future leaving you unable to fix or maintain your stuff? I've seen stuff like this come and go. We all get excited when there's an opportunity to kill off the front derailleur, it's a bit ugly I admit, but it's just such refined technology that works near flawlessly when setup properly, but also cheap and simple.

This just doesn't provide enough of a 'game changer' to get enough takers so will inevitably die unless forced through by manufacturers and marketing. I don't see what is wrong with current tech to justify all the extra expense and annoyance of this new stuff, too marginal. IMHO.
Last edited by Lewn777 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It’s 100% efficient when locked out at 1:1, that’s not up for debate. The questionable bit is they claim it’s 99% as efficient as a small-ring when the planetary gears are spinning. However you do get some efficiency back when you consider being able to ride a bigger chainring and also reducing chain articulation through the rear derailleur cage.

Also this setup allows for an oval ring 2x11 set-up without the woes of their reduced shifting quality. If it weren’t for this, I’d probably dismiss it. I want desperately to move back to oval rings...

gurk700

by gurk700

Cool. Just don't think I'd personally bother with it.

Give me something new and improved. At the end of the day this is still same as 2x11 shifting unless I'm not understanding something.
What about a 1x13 that can hub shift. Install that on a gravel bike and have a truly capable bike / gears for both road and gravel that looks like a 1by system.

TheRich

by TheRich

As marginal as a front derailleur is, they're cheap, simple, don't add drag to the drivetrain, and dead reliable because they don't have to withstand any drivetrain load. The worse thing that can happen with a properly setup derailleur is that it won't shift because the cable broke/battery died, but the bike is still ridable.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

The new Ridley gravel bike comes with it

Unniti

by Unniti

TheRich wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:38 pm
As marginal as a front derailleur is, they're cheap, simple, don't add drag to the drivetrain, and dead reliable because they don't have to withstand any drivetrain load. The worse thing that can happen with a properly setup derailleur is that it won't shift because the cable broke/battery died, but the bike is still ridable.
*laughs in SRAM*

C36

by C36

Interesting but a bit bothered by their claims that are not back up by anything tangible regarding efficiency, weight, cassette durability...
One thing I miss is if the frame has to be specific or could be used with any?

——————
2018: Cannondale SSevo2HM : 5860g
2000: R4000 caad5: junior bike restauration
1995: Indurain‘s Pinarello: restauration project

Lucendi

by Lucendi

I think it is one step forward and two steps back.

It removes the complexity of the derailleur but add another set of possible issues with it's moving parts and electronics.

I wouldn't put it on my bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I am also sceptical although there is clearly a lot of thinking and technology packed inside these gears.
TBH if the manufacturer was not called "Classified" but Shimano or Sram this pattent would be considered as a revolution already.