Merida Reacto 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

Turns out Specialized did not kill the Venge, just camouflaged it with a new identity.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/mer ... 21-review/

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

I have to say the Bahrain Merida team coloring for both the reacto and sculptura are probably the best looking team bike color schemes. In particular, they look professional, but at the same time discreet enough so that normal people can also use them. Not sure if you're implying it looks like a Venge, I actually think in terms of looks it's a very small change from last years model.

That said both the Venge and the Reacto are among the more generic looking aerobikes, compared to e.g. the Madone or the S5.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Looking good on may details.
Not so when looking at geometry table though. Seems to use single fork for every sizes with varying head tube angle.
They make it handle well for medium size but made minimum effort to scale the bike down again. XS and XXS size rider should avoid such bike.
Last edited by Hexsense on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robeambro

by robeambro

Cycomanic wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:15 pm
I have to say the Bahrain Merida team coloring for both the reacto and sculptura are probably the best looking team bike color schemes. In particular, they look professional, but at the same time discreet enough so that normal people can also use them. Not sure if you're implying it looks like a Venge, I actually think in terms of looks it's a very small change from last years model.

That said both the Venge and the Reacto are among the more generic looking aerobikes, compared to e.g. the Madone or the S5.
Ah no, I was just joking around since Merida sort of owns Specialized, with the latter having literally just killed the Venge, and now the new Reacto pops up.

Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

robeambro wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:26 pm
Cycomanic wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:15 pm

Ah no, I was just joking around since Merida sort of owns Specialized, with the latter having literally just killed the Venge, and now the new Reacto pops up.
Ah ok, that went over my head :)

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I watched the build video, the pro level mechanic was almost struggling with tye internal cable routing. Looks generic, looks like a merida.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

easyv

by easyv

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:18 pm
I watched the build video, the pro level mechanic was almost struggling with tye internal cable routing. Looks generic, looks like a merida.

If you're talking about this video, I was appalled that the mechanic started assembling the bike on the floor and tabletop rather than using the stand to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybw3rYxdl8Y

And he was banging the frame on the bike stand and other things around the shop. But back to the bike, yeah the internal cabling looks to be a bear and the bike is not that light (7.5kg build up).

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

That mechanic probably had to build 5 more that day and that bike will probably be crashed head-on into a bollard at some point, so banging the frame around shop furniture doesn't really matter in the end.

Pato

by Pato

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:24 pm
Looking good on may details.
Not so when looking at geometry table though. Seems to use single fork for every sizes with varying head tube angle.
They make it handle well for medium size but made minimum effort to scale the bike down again. XS and XXS size rider should avoid such bike.
I'm the kind of rider who usually uses an XS or XXS (around 375 Reach / 500 Stack) and don't see anything wrong with it, as a matter of fact it's the only bike I've seen that has a decent wheelbase, most XS/XXS are around 970mm which translate into a very twitchy handling, especially with a steep HA and long fork offset.
For the tests I've done, I'd prefer a shorter fork offset (42mm) and slacker HA of around 69.5º/70º to compensate for wheelbase and avoid toe overlap with 410mm chainstay.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

This new Merida looks nice and ticks many aero bike boxes.

What do you think the size of the market for a bike like this will be? After the 2021 TCR, SL7 and Emoda releases and Specialized's persuasive marketing about why a 'good enough aero' road bike is faster in real life than a 'full aero' road bike I would not be looking at 'full aero' for my next bike (and I have been riding one for a long time).

How many will do the same?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Sanjuro

by Sanjuro

Looks good. Much as I love the LOOK RS Blade as a bike - in some ways similar to this - unless you're racing with peers all within 15 or so seconds of each other in terms of ability, I still feel overall the best solution (for a single bike) is as light as possible with a few different wheel choices. I'm not convinced an aero road frame adds that much to the equation once you consider, overall bike weight, rider position, and aero wheels would yield the best general results - although yeah, if I could afford a few high-end bikes, one of them would be a dedicated aero bike. Just wouldn't be my first choice.

kgt

by kgt

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:08 pm
What do you think the size of the market for a bike like this will be? After the 2021 TCR, SL7 and Emoda releases and Specialized's persuasive marketing about why a 'good enough aero' road bike is faster in real life than a 'full aero' road bike I would not be looking at 'full aero' for my next bike (and I have been riding one for a long time).

Good question.

It is hilarious that a few years ago all the big manufacturers were certain that aero is everything. CFD tests, tests in wind tunnels, comparisons, 'independent' reviews in cycling magazines etc. everything was used in order to support this view. The more aero it is the better/faster it is.
Now, that they see that they cannot push their full aero frames as much as they would like to in terms of sales (first Venge was a disaster, current systemsix is also kind of a fail etc.) or that they do not want to offer too many models they will try to persuade us that aero is not everything. A normal frame with aero features is maybe better. Even faster, actually (I am looking forward to reading their 'scientific' explanation once more btw).

When some of us were arguing on how lower weight, comfort, responsiveness, geometry, handling, etc can actually make a normal bike as fast or even faster than a full aero bike that is heavy, harsch etc. we were called out as retarded ludites. Now that Spesh and others argue on this everyone agrees, of course.

It is disappointing, if not ridiculous, but this is how marketing works. And marketing weenies will follow; they always do.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

kgt wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:20 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:08 pm

Good question.

It is hilarious that a few years ago all the big manufacturers were certain that aero is everything. CFD tests, tests in wind tunnels, comparisons, 'independent' reviews in cycling magazines etc. everything was used in order to support this view. The more aero it is the better/faster it is.
Now, that they see that they cannot push their full aero frames as much as they would like to in terms of sales (first Venge was a disaster, current systemsix is also kind of a fail etc.) or that they do not want to offer too many models they will try to persuade us that aero is not everything. A normal frame with aero features is maybe better. Even faster, actually (I am looking forward to reading their 'scientific' explanation once more btw).

When some of us were arguing on how lower weight, comfort, responsiveness, geometry, handling, etc can actually make a normal bike as fast or even faster than a full aero bike that is heavy, harsch etc. we were called out as retarded ludites. Now that Spesh and others argue on this everyone agrees, of course.

It is disappointing, if not ridiculous, but this is how marketing works. And marketing weenies will follow; they always do.
To be fair I kind of agree with the current marketing outlook.

Let me explain, my aero bike has made me a faster rider, it has deep aero wheels and I can really feel it working for me at 25mph+, but objectively I don't ride above that speed for a high % of my riding time. I like my Propel a lot and I have worked hard to make it quite light, so it's also a good climbing bike......but.......sadly the handling is not as fun as a normal road bike, I guess it never will be. Comfort is so so, can't moan, but it's not as comfortable as some road bikes.

So, to me a fun and light road bike that will still let me ride reasonably fast would be a welcome upgrade. Not saying I'm gonna drop £10.5k on a new s-works SL7, but in principle I like the idea of what Specialized, Trek and Giant are trying to achieve.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

IchDien

by IchDien

Integrated rear light is a cool feature. I wonder how much weight it adds and how many lumens it is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:18 pm

Seemed pretty normal to me. That is what those builds go like no matter how many you have done. The only mis-step imo was using the lever jig to set position and then undoing it to attach lever end hose. Even if he carefully outlined the position with a silver sharpie, he will have to re-do the jig again. He had a very high level of detail and should be commended.
Never cheer before you know who is winning