2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 316

steveadore

by steveadore

NHWhites wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:17 pm
Hi Steveadore,

Answering question on Aethos durability: I have had my Aethos Pro since July 2021, size 54. I am also 74kg. I don't race. I use all the spacers as the geometry is the same as the Tarmac, but I don't have the flexibility or core strength to slam the stem. I have not had any issues with the frame or fork after approx 5,000 miles. I love the way this bike rides. Perfect for my needs. Comfortable, sporty and lively. One nit pick though, I am not impressed by some of the alloy bolts. They round off easily if you are not super careful. Top cap, cage bolts.

I have had a few small shimano issues: leaky left hydraulic brake lever replaced under warranty, longest Di2 wire went bad (could not find any damage to it) replaced, creaky cassette, brake rotor rub after hard breaking.

Overall it is a great bike.
Thanks so much! May I ask you how tall you are and what your saddle height (BB center to top of saddle) is? I'm between 54 and 56 and given that I would need the spacers even for the 56, I would probably go for the larger size.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NHWhites

by NHWhites

5'-8" (~173cm)
Saddle height from BB center = 705mm
2021 Specialized Aethos Pro Ultegra Di2
2019 Cannondale Topstone AL 105
2011 Cervelo R3 Rival

steveadore

by steveadore

NHWhites wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:21 pm
5'-8" (~173cm)
Saddle height from BB center = 705mm
Thanks, Im 179cm with a SH of around 720mm :D I could fit on a 54 too if I were going for an aggressive racy bike, but I prefer to size up usually for a comfier ride

Ludo

by Ludo

Hello all ,

is there any chance to ride a 140mm disc on the front?
someone found a special adapter or something else ?

mistap

by mistap

Hey folks - i am looking at buying an Aethos Frame - does anyone have any knowledge on the ready to paint frame (Satin Carbon/Jet Fuel) i am wondering if its ok just as a normal paint job as i dont want to repaint. There is limited real world pictures of the new colourways.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

mistap wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:42 pm
Hey folks - i am looking at buying an Aethos Frame - does anyone have any knowledge on the ready to paint frame (Satin Carbon/Jet Fuel) i am wondering if its ok just as a normal paint job as i dont want to repaint. There is limited real world pictures of the new colourways.
I'm interested in this as well. What about it is "jet fuel" - the logos?

@Mistap - I have seen lots of photos of people apparently with the RTP frame, unpainted. That's what I plan to do. The carbon layup is what makes the bike interesting, I want to see it :)

WWerreWW

by WWerreWW

inertianinja wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:10 pm
mistap wrote:

@Mistap - I have seen lots of photos of people apparently with the RTP frame, unpainted. That's what I plan to do. The carbon layup is what makes the bike interesting, I want to see it :)
Yes, the logos are jet fuel. They're also external stickers on the RTP afaik, which is what makes the frame 'Ready to Paint'. You can just peel the decals and paint if you wish.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Question about fit of the Aethos for any that have short torso/long legs.

I'm 183cm/6ft tall, with an 89cm inseam (saddle height usually 79cm). I've had a Retul fit, the fitter recommended a 56 with 100mm stem.
I'm considering going down to a 54 with a longer stem; this would require a 110-120mm stem and about 15-20mm of spacers to replicate my current fit, but I'd also have a ton of seat post showing and front-center would be tight.

Anyone have a similar fit decision?

kode54

by kode54

WWerreWW wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:43 pm
inertianinja wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:10 pm
mistap wrote:

Yes, the logos are jet fuel. They're also external stickers on the RTP afaik, which is what makes the frame 'Ready to Paint'. You can just peel the decals and paint if you wish.
Yes. I've had a few stickers getting pretty beat when cleaning the bike (over 2 years), so I just took them off. Peeled off cleanly without residue.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RoadDonk82

by RoadDonk82

It seems to be impossible to find Aethos (non S-works) frameset nor Expert level builds where I live so I am thinking about getting the comp version and upgrading the components. The comp is specced with AXS rival and some heavy DT Swiss wheels (around 1800g). I found with a little googling that Aethos Comp in size 52 should be 7.8kg without pedals (does that sound reasonable?). Is there a sensible path to getting it down to below 7kg (by sensible I mean considerably cheaper than just removing everything and installing Ultegra di2 instead of SRAM) ?.
My thinking is: carbon wheels will offer 400g, Red crankset instead of Rival one should be close to another 250g (is that correct?). Are there any other parts which are considerably heavier than exper/pro builds?
I intended to get Ultegra but after recent, very positive, experience with SRAM XPLR on a gravel bike I am kinda willing to give SRAM a shot on road as well as I like the hood shape and ability to easily install a good powermeter is tempting. Thoughts?

Tarmacian

by Tarmacian

inertianinja wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:12 pm

I'm 183cm/6ft tall, with an 89cm inseam (saddle height usually 79cm). I've had a Retul fit, the fitter recommended a 56 with 100mm stem.
I'm considering going down to a 54 with a longer stem; this would require a 110-120mm stem and about 15-20mm of spacers to replicate my current fit, but I'd also have a ton of seat post showing and front-center would be tight.

I'm 184cm with saddle 79,5cm. I'm on a 56cm with 9cm stem. Needed the stack of a 58cm and reach of a 56cm. Inlack the flexibility 😄

Have a lot of seat post exposed on the 56cm. I think it can be a bit to much on 54cm with that saddle height.

Cuypmeister

by Cuypmeister

Tarmacian wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:16 pm
inertianinja wrote:

I'm 184cm with saddle 79,5cm. I'm on a 56cm with 9cm stem. Needed the stack of a 58cm and reach of a 56cm. Inlack the flexibility 😄

Have a lot of seat post exposed on the 56cm. I think it can be a bit to much on 54cm with that saddle height.
Sounds a bit like me, but i am 187.. Specialized dealer said a 58 would suit me better, while i already bought a 56 approx. 1,5 year ago. Did you consider the 58?

Deihlos91

by Deihlos91

inertianinja wrote:

Iam 184cm with 90cm inseam.
Riding the 56er
Saddle height 79cm, 100mm stem and 3cm of spacer and having already a saddle elevation of 11,5cm
Size 54 would be to small for you in my opinion
Allround:
Elilee Blize XXE 24 Carbon Raw L Custom-6340g
Sunday:
Colnago V3Rs 22 (RCRD) 54s Custom-6890g
BW/Travel:
Cannondale Synapse 20 Hi Mod 56 Custom-7200g
Old:
Specialized SWorks Aethos Jet Fuel 56 Custom-6060g

c50jim

by c50jim

I'm 184 cm tall, saddle height slightly over 79cm and am happy with a 58 Aethos with a 12 cm stem and 20 mm of spacers.

Looks like people here have sizing needs all over the map but I really think a 54 wouldn't work at all.

You might also want to consider how the geometry of the various sizes beyond stack and reach would compare to your current bike. I just got back from a vacation in Mallorca where I rented two bikes - a 58 cm Tarmac with essentially the same gemoetry as the Aethos that worked well and a 58 cm Fuji that was supplied by the tour company that didn't work at all even though it seemed to have some similar measurements. If you had a competent person doing the Retul fit, I'd go with that.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

c50jim wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:01 pm
I'm 184 cm tall, saddle height slightly over 79cm and am happy with a 58 Aethos with a 12 cm stem and 20 mm of spacers.

Looks like people here have sizing needs all over the map but I really think a 54 wouldn't work at all.

You might also want to consider how the geometry of the various sizes beyond stack and reach would compare to your current bike. I just got back from a vacation in Mallorca where I rented two bikes - a 58 cm Tarmac with essentially the same gemoetry as the Aethos that worked well and a 58 cm Fuji that was supplied by the tour company that didn't work at all even though it seemed to have some similar measurements. If you had a competent person doing the Retul fit, I'd go with that.
It's interesting - very similar measurements to mine, and i'm quite flexible, but i'd apparently need a 100mm stem.
Seems to me that bikes are getting longer all the time and honestly I'm sick of feeling stretched out.

I ended up deciding to go with a different bike, in their size M, which would put me at about the same stack (562) but shorter reach (383).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com