2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 316

Sock3t

by Sock3t

kode54 wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:46 pm
I had the same issue. I ordered one through the LBS but they never came through. So I got a bit creative and used a standard Shimano one and slotted it enough to give me a bit of lateral play. Worked better than expected.
That seems like a risky move on your main braking component.

kode54

by kode54

No less than the actual slotted adapter that is included with the Aethos or the Shimano adapter. I slotted the adapters with a Dremel to replicate the two. Clamping area is no less than required adapters. Remember, I am slotting ONLY the round hole at the bottom to be oblong just like the Shimano adapter.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ODC

by ODC

Anyone knows if there is a Roval Alpinist Seatpost with 0mm offset/setback?
On the internet and on the specialized website they mention this: With 46mm saddle rail cradle enables an offset from 0mm to 20mm.
Can i flip the rail of the seat post clamp to make it a 0mm setback seatpost?

Ytse

by Ytse

ODC wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:10 pm
On the internet and on the specialized website they mention this: With 46mm saddle rail cradle enables an offset from 0mm to 20mm.
Luckily, the Aethos uses a standard, 27.2mm diameter round shaped seat post, so you can select from a plethora of options.
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

pmprego

by pmprego

ODC wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:10 pm
Answering your question, you cannot flip it around.

PrinceEdward

by PrinceEdward

My community aethos with all device mounted other then bottlesImage

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 Pixel 6 發送

ODC

by ODC

Someone that is riding the Aethos with a 1x sram axs chainring setup and could give his experience (if possible + picture)?
Wondering if a only 46t chainring would be enough for riding in Flanders.
Is it possible to use a K-edge racing chain guard on the braze mount of the Aethos? If it’s possible, does a chain guard help with the 1x setup (No more chain drops)? When a chain guard is installed does the chain made more noise with it?

Cuypmeister

by Cuypmeister

ODC wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:55 pm
Someone that is riding the Aethos with a 1x sram axs chainring setup and could give his experience (if possible + picture)?
Is it possible to use a K-edge racing chain guard on the braze mount of the Aethos? If it’s possible, does a chain guard help with the 1x setup (No more chain drops)? When a chain guard is installed does the chain made more noise with it?
had one (1x 46t chainring) installed on my Argon18 gallium pro for small rides here in Brussels & environment. Quickly changed to a double chainring as i felt limited keeping the pace on the flats... and Belgium is in 60% of the circumstances rather flat :-)

ODC

by ODC

Cuypmeister wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:39 pm
ODC wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:55 pm
had one (1x 46t chainring) installed on my Argon18 gallium pro for small rides here in Brussels & environment. Quickly changed to a double chainring as i felt limited keeping the pace on the flats... and Belgium is in 60% of the circumstances rather flat :-)
Thanks for your answer :D
You say tay you felt limited to keep the pace on the flats, which speed are we talking about?
I live in the heart of the flemish ardennes (15minutes from Ledeberg, Valkenberg, Berendries…). So it’s really flat flat. And i’m not planning to do a lot of high speed group rides (scheldepeleton). So still in doubt for trying it.
Was it more silent then riding 2x with a front derailleur?

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Well, I think my Aethos lightweighting project may be coming to an end with these DA parts that finally came in. Any other good upgrades, without compromising performance, within WW reason of course?

Currently at about 5.6kg w cages and mount but no pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HHH

by HHH

Turrifik wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:50 am
Well, I think my Aethos lightweighting project may be coming to an end with these DA parts that finally came in. Any other good upgrades, without compromising performance, within WW reason of course?

Currently at about 5.6kg w cages and mount but no pedals.

Gorgeous!
Which colour is exactly...that beauty?

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Not sure. It was originally an Expert build with sram force I believe. I’ll have to look it up. Image

Edit: I think this is it. Satin red tint.

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/aetho ... 97221-3154

ODC

by ODC

PrinceEdward wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:52 pm
My community aethos with all device mounted other then bottlesImage

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 Pixel 6 發送
And no handlebar tape :lol:

steveadore

by steveadore

How safe is it to use the Aethos with the max. amount of spacers (35 mm) under the stem and how fragile is the frame? I'm 74 kg (working towards 71 by spring), don't put out big watts and take good care of my bikes. I plan to use it as more of an endurance bike and with my limited flexibility and body proportions I need all the spacers. Im happy to swap the compression plug for the older style Specialized one (i.e. the one that doesn't have the carved out hole on the side) or even the extra long one offered for the SL7. And I will use a 90-100mm stem, so the leverage on the steerer should not be too high. Oh, and I'm going for the regular Aethos, not the S-Works.
Still, given the light weight I'm concerned about the fragility and durability of the steerer. And of course I'm also concerned about the frame, especially as I read stories here and there about easily damaged top tubes (or the issues with the seat stays on the new Crux, which is quite similar to the Aethos). As I said, I know what to avoid (e.g. not clamping the tubes in a stand, avoiding hits to the frame etc.), so my main concern is really just freak accidents or delamination due to the lightweight construction. :)

NHWhites

by NHWhites

Hi Steveadore,

Answering question on Aethos durability: I have had my Aethos Pro since July 2021, size 54. I am also 74kg. I don't race. I use all the spacers as the geometry is the same as the Tarmac, but I don't have the flexibility or core strength to slam the stem. I have not had any issues with the frame or fork after approx 5,000 miles. I love the way this bike rides. Perfect for my needs. Comfortable, sporty and lively. One nit pick though, I am not impressed by some of the alloy bolts. They round off easily if you are not super careful. Top cap, cage bolts.

I have had a few small shimano issues: leaky left hydraulic brake lever replaced under warranty, longest Di2 wire went bad (could not find any damage to it) replaced, creaky cassette, brake rotor rub after hard breaking.

Overall it is a great bike.
2021 Specialized Aethos Pro Ultegra Di2
2019 Cannondale Topstone AL 105
2011 Cervelo R3 Rival

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com