2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 317

ads

by ads

OtterSpace wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:42 am
ads wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:45 am
Where's the most efficient place to save weight from here?
wheels, tires & tubes, crank, seat, handlebars/stem, bar tape, seatpost, rotors & lockrings, compression plug, chain as a general ordering of where the most weight can be saved starting from dura ace r9270 off the top of my head so the order might be slightly off.

Most cost efficient places to save weight ($/g) is generally tires & tubes, bar tape, seat, and compression plug.

If you are open to selling your old crankset it can become a fairly cost effective place to save weight as well.

The sram crank + shimano rings setup is the best balance of weight and shift quality but you can drop a lot more weight with worse shift quality by using different chainrings. For a 12s group you want to use r9200 chainrings not r9100 chainrings.
Thanks mate. I'd stick with the stock alpinists and the 24g ridenow tubes I think. I'd want day-to-day tyres so either Power Cup, Turbo Cottons or GP5k, all similar weights.

Looks like SRAM Red arms save around 200g over Dura Ace which could be worth a look. Would probably leave the rest for comfort reasons.

Would probably end up looking for a +/-40mm depth wheelset for this bike as think it really suits the frame. Any recommendations there? I like the Enve 3.4 but it's bloody expensive!

ads

by ads

e4rthm0ver wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:58 am
For me main selling point other than weight & looks was ease of use/servicing/getting parts: standard round seatpost and clamp, no internal routing, normal headset
Yeah another good point. I love spannering apart from when it gets awkward/fiddly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

ads wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:47 am
Would probably end up looking for a +/-40mm depth wheelset for this bike as think it really suits the frame. Any recommendations there? I like the Enve 3.4 but it's bloody expensive!
I am very partial to Berd spoke wheels and am currently waiting on parts to build up my 4th set in the coming months so my wheel recommendations are not exactly in line with other posters. However, they fit the ethos of this bike more than most given the round section tube shapes and focus on comfort for both Berd and Aethos. Berd spokes drop a lot of weight, only work with hubs that allow easy straight pull lacing, have lower lateral stiffness, are not bladed, can take a real beating, but most importantly they absorb a lot of road buzz that I'd liken to dropping to 2/3rd of your current riding pressure. Due to this you mostly find them on gravel and mtb bikes and not road bikes.

If you are interested I recommend Extralite HyperSmart3 hubs which are compatible with their lacing needs. For Disc I go 28 hole instead of 24 hole to partially mittigate the drop in lateral stiffness and always go black spokes. If you are worried about loss of aero from non bladed spokes you could do a rear wheel build only where comfort is more impactful and aero matters less. Rims wise I go with whatever is the best option for your width, depth, and rider weight specification from lightbicycle so something like the AR45, AR46, or WR45 for 28 hole or AR465 if going 24 hole.

I've had Berd build all my wheelsets too so that I am confident they are built correctly. After tax and credit card cashback my super wide WR44 build with 40mm wide external rims cost me $1936.10 and weighs 1205g. After tax and credit card cashback my AR55 build cost me $1579.26 with an expected weight of around 1219g. My shallow rim tubulars came in at 752g but those are not exactly comparable.

ads

by ads

Never heard of those guys and that is very interesting. Rims in the depth that I'd like with the weight i'd want and at the price I'd want...

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

My build more or less finalized for now. Sitting at 6.69kg (nice) ready to ride with pedals, cages, bartape, wahoo/light mounts.

No weight dropping plans outside of lighter tires for the summer (right now I have pretty heavy corsa pro controls on)

Seth26

by Seth26

e4rthm0ver wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:31 pm
My build more or less finalized for now. Sitting at 6.69kg (nice) ready to ride with pedals, cages, bartape, wahoo/light mounts.

No weight dropping plans outside of lighter tires for the summer (right now I have pretty heavy corsa pro controls on)
niceee

pixelcorvo

by pixelcorvo

What groupset is? And crankset?
The Wheels are DT ARC 1100 50mm?
Nice buid!!!

Enviado desde mi M2006C3MG mediante Tapatalk

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Ultegra 12 speed groupset
Galfer rotors 160/140mm
Rotor aldhu carbon crank 165mm
power2max powermeter
Praxis buzz 52/36 chainrings
Dt Swiss ERC1100 45mm wheels
Deda pista 140mm stem
36cm prime primavera x-light handlebar
Deda traforato bartape
Darimo T1 loop seatpost
Selle Italia superflow carbonio saddle
AliExpress „carbonworks” bottlecages
Framesandgear wahoo mount & direct mount RD hanger

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Hot!

May I ask: How works shifting with the Praxis buzz chainrings? I have a smilarly equipped bike (Sram AXS, Shimano Ultegra 12sp chain and cassette, Rotor 3d+ Power2max crank), and i am although considering the Praxis buzz chainset, alternatively Stone chainset from Ali-express.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... pt=glo2deu

Thank you, regards,

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Shifting is good, no complaints. I’ve been running this setup since beginning of this year (on different frame)

pixelcorvo

by pixelcorvo

e4rthm0ver wrote:Ultegra 12 speed groupset
Galfer rotors 160/140mm
Rotor aldhu carbon crank 165mm
power2max powermeter
Praxis buzz 52/36 chainrings
Dt Swiss ERC1100 45mm wheels
Deda pista 140mm stem
36cm prime primavera x-light handlebar
Deda traforato bartape
Darimo T1 loop seatpost
Selle Italia superflow carbonio saddle
AliExpress „carbonworks” bottlecages
Framesandgear wahoo mount & direct mount RD hanger
Ah!! Ok.
My posible build:
-Aethos PRO frame 10R size 52
-Ultegra di2 12v groupset
-Crankset : I don,t know...(
-Stem and Handlebar( I try to integrated)
- Farsports 45 Hyper tubeless( 1180grs )
- Elita saddle( AliExpress)
-Bottle Cage AliExpress...

That,s is my frame to build and the integration.,
IMG-20231206-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20231211-WA0021.jpg

kode54

by kode54

What fork are you using for the integrated cables?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

pixelcorvo

by pixelcorvo

kode54 wrote:What fork are you using for the integrated cables?
good morning. The previous owner used the Aethos fork. He made a small window in the fork tube at the height of the head cover outlet, to direct it to the handlebars prepared for it.
But I'm going to leave it with the cables outside.Image

Vik61

by Vik61

Custom color scheme by ddcustom

Canyon Grizl
Trek Supercaliber

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ads

by ads

e4rthm0ver wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:31 pm

nice build mate. are those rims the erc 45mm or arc 50mm?