2020 Aethos Sub UCI weight Specialized.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

What defines the rumoured UCI Illegal Specialized

Doesn't Exist
24%
More aero than the Venge
12%
Lighter than the Tarmac SL6
44%
More aero than the Venge AND lighter than the Tarmac SL6
11%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 317

kode54

by kode54

I places an order 2 years ago. Kept calling every week. Then every other week. Then every month. I finally gave up. Good customer service by LBS Specialized dealer.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Travelbytaco

by Travelbytaco

I'll get a weight on it once it's all done......

In progress:
IMG_1210.jpeg

Upcountry

by Upcountry

New bars installed today, and with Spring coming, the roads are thawing out...
6.8kg as shown with some porky 1500gr wheels.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

Both of those are amazing, love love love those colors.

Guys I am trying to find Alpinist one piece bars or ones extremely similar, at least similar in weight. Will the Alpinist be made again?

Thanks all.

Matte86

by Matte86

mattcooke wrote:Both of those are amazing, love love love those colors.

Guys I am trying to find Alpinist one piece bars or ones extremely similar, at least similar in weight. Will the Alpinist be made again?

Thanks all.
I’m looking for an Alpinist one piece as well for my Crux, but it’s impossible to find one
I honestly don’t understand why they discounted it in favor of the 2 piece
Agree both colors are great

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Swapped tires to lighter gp5000str 25c, fresh DA cassette from ultegra, new chain (same xtr chain, no weight changes).

6.6kg with pedals, cages, wahoo/light/varia mounts

kode54

by kode54

Upcountry wrote:New bars installed today, and with Spring coming, the roads are thawing out...
6.8kg as shown with some porky 1500gr wheels.

That’s some spring color if I’m seeing it correctly. I like it. Maybe not so much with the tan sidewalls
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

PinaRene

by PinaRene

At this moment I am getting some light stuff in so I can order a frame. At this moment there are some bargains on the web - and I want to see some colors! The problem is to see them in real life, so I took the time to pass all 119 pages and saw some 100's YT movies.

Some colors really stand out and are beautiful, and so it must me a light colored frame. If you have any ideas for a nivpce color - let me know ( blue / grey clay is very nice ... the cream / gold is also nice ). My BMC is black and the Scott will be on the wall next month because the bike room is ready then. The Scott Foil is my precious... my precious and will never leave the building.

Almost all parts are in now... last week I bought a nice pair of SRAM Red eTap 22 disc shifters, almost as good as new. See the weight without a frameset .. and o yes a chaincatcher, that I have from Ali @2 or 3 grams.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

PinaRene wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:40 pm
At this moment I am getting some light stuff in so I can order a frame. At this moment there are some bargains on the web - and I want to see some colors! The problem is to see them in real life, so I took the time to pass all 119 pages and saw some 100's YT movies.

Some colors really stand out and are beautiful, and so it must me a light colored frame. If you have any ideas for a nivpce color - let me know ( blue / grey clay is very nice ... the cream / gold is also nice ). My BMC is black and the Scott will be on the wall next month because the bike room is ready then. The Scott Foil is my precious... my precious and will never leave the building.

Almost all parts are in now... last week I bought a nice pair of SRAM Red eTap 22 disc shifters, almost as good as new. See the weight without a frameset .. and o yes a chaincatcher, that I have from Ali @2 or 3 grams.

We'll have matching bikes again. Here's my light colored Aethos. White Sage 10R frameset built up at 6.3kg
Attachments
IMG_0781.jpeg
IMG_0782.jpeg

PinaRene

by PinaRene

iamraymond wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:47 pm
We'll have matching bikes again. Here's my light colored Aethos. White Sage 10R frameset built up at 6.3kg
Hey Raymond ... yup same bikes again although mine are size 54 and M for the BMC. I was also thinking about the White Sage .. but when there was a great offer on a S Works ( € 200,- more ) I bought it. It's the Maroon Red one.

Beautiful red/ purple, with blue flakes and silver 😍... Just 2 quick pictures after the build tonight. 6.4 Kg complete ( pedals / bottle cages ) with S Works Shallow handlebar and S Works stem. Top bearing cap has a gap of 1mm with me .. same with you ?? I saw some build YT video and they have the same ... ordered a Ceramicspeed bearing cap.

Last edited by PinaRene on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

PinaRene wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:43 pm
Top bearing cap has a gap of 1mm with me .. same with you ?? I saw some build YT video and they have the same ... ordered a Ceramicspeed bearing cap.
That color looks nice! I bet it'll look even better in the sun as with most of the Aethos paint jobs. My non-sworks frame is just normal paint throughout but the Sworks ones typically have some texture or pattern in the paint which really stands out in the sun.

As for the top cap, you're right. I never noticed it, but it doesn't sit flat around the top bearing. In some places there is no gap and in others there's about a 1mm. I just disassembled, cleaned and reassembled it, but it's the same outcome. I took a couple pics to show it.
IMG_1115.jpeg
IMG_1116.jpeg
And yes I need to shorten the hoses. The shop left them really long so I could adjust the fit. I need to cut them so they aren't rubbing the head tube.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Just rode with a buddy and his top cap sits better than mine.
Attachments
IMG_1122.jpeg
IMG_1123.jpeg

ice29

by ice29

I have found this small chip on the downtube of my S-Works Aethos (the one with the lightest carbon paint), I presume it's from a stone that front wheel threw onto the frame... Do you think it's just color coating, or could the carbon be impacted?

RoadDonk82

by RoadDonk82

Coming back to my old question about 17 degree stems for Aethos:
There's a new Alpinist stem (looks basically identical just with "Roval" logos instead of "S-Works"). Should be in stock by the very end of August.
Those are in fact available now but I can't find 110/120mm one with 17 degree angle. I managed to find older S-Works one 100mm/17degree but it seems longer ones (110 or 120) are not available (only 12 degrees).
Anyone aware of a place that ships to Spain (preferably to InPost lockers or some pick-up points)? I am currently there and would like to experiment with my position.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Basscadet

by Basscadet

S-works Aethos w/ SRAM Red marked down to $8500 USD on specialized.com. Unbelievable bargain for those who don't care about getting the old RED groupset.