Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Just an fyi. I'm not trying to coax someone into buying a 51, however, the cervelo ( and all other frames size charts ) are a guide and should be used as such. Buy whatever you feel comfortable on and ignore everything else. Trust your judgment not a chart.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jch3n

by jch3n

Dsonyay wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:17 pm
Can you elaborate just a bit more on the stack differences between 51 cal and 54 Dom?
Stack is height of the front end, essentially. According to the geo charts, the 51 Caledonia is 45mm shorter in stack than the 54 Domane. You would have to run a giant (and probably unsafe) stack of stem spacers on the 51 Caledonia to match the fit of the 54 Domane. If your stated intended purpose is to be more upright, the 51 Caledonia is the wrong way to go.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

jch3n wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:40 pm
Dsonyay wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:17 pm
Can you elaborate just a bit more on the stack differences between 51 cal and 54 Dom?
Stack is height of the front end, essentially. According to the geo charts, the 51 Caledonia is 45mm shorter in stack than the 54 Domane. You would have to run a giant (and probably unsafe) stack of stem spacers on the 51 Caledonia to match the fit of the 54 Domane. If your stated intended purpose is to be more upright, the 51 Caledonia is the wrong way to go.
The chart doesn't include the mandatory headset spacer on the Caledonia 5. Either 8mm or 22mm IIRC. Still lower, but not 45mm lower.

jch3n

by jch3n

It's still a spacer, mandatory or not. At that point I would be worried about the amount of steerer above the headset bearing, not so much the relative fit itself.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

But it effects the numbers you quoted. Wasn't that the point of your post?
And 45mm is within the fork spec, but not sure about looks.

Dsonyay

by Dsonyay

I road the 54 Cal today and was quite comfortable on it. I'd probably drop the handlebars down a bit more.. maybe even all the way down and still feel really good on it.

The fitter at the bike shop in New Orleans said it looked like a nice fit and I definitely could be fine tuned on it much better-- saddle adjustments, stem adjustments maybe, handlebar height, etc etc.

I rode a their 51 solisist as a sort of comparison to a size 51 Cervelo.. I kind of felt like I was towering over the handlebars.. not same geometry as Cal 51, but they didnt have a 51 Cal.

Yeah 54 Cal would be my choice.

Went to the trek dealer a couple miles away and they had an SLR Domane gen 4 size 54.. I preferred that one just a bit more.

They threw some pedals on it, adjusted the seat and the bike tech took me out on a ride around the block. He was on his Ritchey Road logic. He took me to a bumpy section so I could kinda get an idea of ride quality. Man that was a nice thing for them to do. (New Orleans Trek place on Clearview. )

So now it will be to think about these two models and make a decision. Still kinda leaning toward Domane just a Tad ... they are both great. Thanks for the advise.

Dsonyay

by Dsonyay

https://youtu.be/kw7JBbapAOM

This is a short vid of me On the Cal 54. Saddle height might be a tad high.. but i was in street shoes and no other positions were adjusted.. just an approximate saddle Height

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

It's great you got to test ride both. Worth the drive 😀

Dsonyay

by Dsonyay

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:01 am
Thanks.. if younhave time, check out the link to the video I posted of me on the Cal54.

Hoping to get some feedback.. seems to be a good fit. Only adjustment was a quick saddle height just to get me moving.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Dsonyay wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:09 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Thanks.. if younhave time, check out the link to the video I posted of me on the Cal54.

Hoping to get some feedback.. seems to be a good fit. Only adjustment was a quick saddle height just to get me moving.
Looks good to my eye. One thing I'll say about comparing the Domane to tha Caledonia regarding ride feel is tires will make a huge impression on even a short pedal around. The Rubino's that come on most Caledonia frames are overinflated and they feel like garbage IMHO. I'm sure the Domane had some Bonty Hardcase 2's on which are actually quite good with tubes wheras the Rubinos with tubes are junk. I rented a BMC Teammachine in Girona for 3 days in March and it was a horrible tire for comfort and was slow and harsh. It's durable and has good puncture resistence. Either way your buying a great bike. I'd rate the Caledonia as likely more aero and racier geo for like size unless your talking about the Domane RSL frame with the H1.5 Geo which is what Trek Segafredo race but that bike is long and low and really aggressive.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Dsonyay wrote:
Steve Curtis wrote:

I saw the clip. Only you can tell if it's the right size for you. I don't want to add to the noise.

Dsonyay

by Dsonyay

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:32 pm
Dsonyay wrote:
Steve Curtis wrote:

I saw the clip. Only you can tell if it's the right size for you. I don't want to add to the noise.
I appreciate that :)
But I value any opinion-- stuff I enjoy taking in.

Dsonyay

by Dsonyay

skinnybex wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:26 pm
Dsonyay wrote:
Steve Curtis wrote:

Looks good to my eye. One thing I'll say about comparing the Domane to tha Caledonia regarding ride feel is tires will make a huge impression on even a short pedal around. The Rubino's that come on most Caledonia frames are overinflated and they feel like garbage IMHO. I'm sure the Domane had some Bonty Hardcase 2's on which are actually quite good with tubes wheras the Rubinos with tubes are junk. I rented a BMC Teammachine in Girona for 3 days in March and it was a horrible tire for comfort and was slow and harsh. It's durable and has good puncture resistence. Either way your buying a great bike. I'd rate the Caledonia as likely more aero and racier geo for like size unless your talking about the Domane RSL frame with the H1.5 Geo which is what Trek Segafredo race but that bike is long and low and really aggressive.
When I test rode the Domane SL yesterday.. the tires were tubeless. Pretty sure they were Bontrager as you mentioned.

The Cal did have the Rubinos but i only did a few laps around parking lot. But have read they are not that great

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Dsonyay wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:40 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:32 pm
Dsonyay wrote:
Steve Curtis wrote:

I appreciate that :)
But I value any opinion-- stuff I enjoy taking in.
I never test ride bikes, I don't see the point in a quick car park spin as it doesn't tell me anything. I need a hill or a KOM sprint to see how I feel under load.

Dsonyay

by Dsonyay

Steve Curtis wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:19 am

I never test ride bikes, I don't see the point in a quick car park spin as it doesn't tell me anything. I need a hill or a KOM sprint to see how I feel under load.
I definitely agree with that thinking.
Oddly enough the local dealer said they'd loan me their 51 Caledonia (SRAM Rival) for a weekend so I could take it on a group ride or whatever.. I thought that was pretty awesome an offer. I will likely do that. Although I kinda worry about a fall or breaking a wheel etc. they've had that bike for months and it hasn't sold. 51 just seems like it may be too small for my 173 cm height looking at the geometry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com