Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

thirdsun wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:28 pm
My Caledonia (Non-5) in Glacier/White, size 48 with SRAM Rival arrived. Weight is better than I feared: 8.76 Kg out of the box. I could work with that. Cables also look a lot less messy than on the product shots. Overall this looks promising.

However I also have a new Vitus Venon Evo incoming. Tough decisions that will have to be made.
Vitus Venon seems promising with huge tyre clearance but it has really long reach, especially for an endurance bike. If you don´t mind it should be a nice bike. I would prefer Cervelos lower BB and shorter chainstays but it is something you can live with and tire clearance is a huge bonus for Vitus.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thirdsun

by thirdsun

hannawald wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:55 pm
thirdsun wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 7:28 pm
My Caledonia (Non-5) in Glacier/White, size 48 with SRAM Rival arrived. Weight is better than I feared: 8.76 Kg out of the box. I could work with that. Cables also look a lot less messy than on the product shots. Overall this looks promising.

However I also have a new Vitus Venon Evo incoming. Tough decisions that will have to be made.
Vitus Venon seems promising with huge tyre clearance but it has really long reach, especially for an endurance bike. If you don´t mind it should be a nice bike. I would prefer Cervelos lower BB and shorter chainstays but it is something you can live with and tire clearance is a huge bonus for Vitus.
Yes, that's exactly my concern. It basically has the same reach as my Canyon Aeroad but 20 mm more stack. My hope is that the stack will render it comfortable. However just going by the numbers a shorter reach with a somewhat aggressive stack would be my preference (the Caledonia is pretty much perfect in that regard).
The chainstays on the Venon are also interestingly long. Can't tell how this will translate on the road.

The thing is that I got a very, very good deal on the Venon. I definitely need to try it.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Quick question: I was just going to replace the wheels on my new Caledonia but I'm having trouble trying to loose the front thru axle. It doesn't move and just gives a loud snapping noise whenever I apply force (counter-clockwise). On the rear everything is fine.

Is it possible that the (online) retailer has over tightened the front thru axle? I'm hesitant to apply more force as I don't want to damage my frame.

Is there anything special about Cervelo Aero Thru Axles (with removable handle) that I might be missing? I understand that the heads of the axles are on different sides between front and rear. On the front it's the drive side as far as I can tell.

UPDATE: Nevermind. Managed to loosen the thru axle after letting some lube run into the thread. This is a new bike. Looks like a poor assembly / setup job.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

Dsonyay

by Dsonyay

Double post
Last edited by Dsonyay on Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dsonyay

by Dsonyay

I hope this is a good place to post this question...

I'm about to buy a Caledonia 5 Ultegra Di2. I am
174cm (68.5") tall and my inseam is 800mm (31.5")

According to the Cervelo fit chart (based on height only) I should be on a size 54 (I'm smack in the middle of the range for 54). And According to the chart , I'm well out of the range for a 51.. ie, no overlap on fit.

The local store has a 51 and I seem to fit it really well. Standover height is very good (top tube is just a hair under my junk and I can easily stand flatfooted over it (barefoot). Reach is good too. Unfortunately the chainrings have been removed for an emergenCy repair on another bike, so I can't ride it til new chainrings arrive.

The bike shop manager (also an expert fitter) thinks the 54 will be too big for me. Standover height on the Cal 54 is 784 which is under my measured inseam of 800.

Unfortunately their are no 54 sizes anywhere near -- except for New Orleans (2.5 hr drive). I'm contemplating driving over there Saturday. Would probably be worth the expense. I just hate the 5 hrs of driving

Anyone here in my size and inseam? Are you on a 54? Or did you drop down to a 51?

I ride about 200 miles a week.. solo and groups.

Currently on an old Caad9 w/ 100mm stem.. size sticker was removed. pretty sure it's a size 50 based on headtube length.. only thing I could measure exactly and with ease. I am
Positioned very aggressively on that that bike and I probably should be on a 52. So kinda hard to use my current bike as a comparison.

I got back into biking last year after many many years away. I'm 61.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Dsonyay wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:40 pm

According to the Cervelo fit chart (based on height only) I should be on a size 54 (I'm smack in the middle of the range for 54). And According to the chart , I'm well out of the range for a 51.. ie, no overlap on fit.

The local store has a 51 and I seem to fit it really well. Standover height is very good (top tube is just a hair under my junk and I can easily stand flatfooted over it (barefoot). Reach is good too. Unfortunately the chainrings have been removed for an emergenCy repair on another bike, so I can't ride it til new chainrings arrive.

The bike shop manager (also an expert fitter) thinks the 54 will be too big for me. Standover height on the Cal 54 is 784 which is under my measured inseam of 800.

Unfortunately their are no 54 sizes anywhere near -- except for New Orleans (2.5 hr drive). I'm contemplating driving over there Saturday. Would probably be worth the expense. I just hate the 5 hrs of driving

Anyone here in my size and inseam? Are you on a 54? Or did you drop down to a 51?

Currently on an old Caad9 w/ 100mm stem.. size sticker was removed. pretty sure it's a size 50 based on headtube length.. only thing I could measure exactly and with ease. I am
Positioned very aggressively on that that bike and I probably should be on a 52. So kinda hard to use my current bike as a comparison.

You need a 54. You'll regret buying a 51 as your weight bias on the bike will likely give you issues with out of the saddle rear wheel lift and traction loss. I'm 176cm and have an 81cm inseam and I'm on a 54 with a 130mm stem since I have long arms but my saddle is in a good spot on the rails. my setup is about as aggressive as you'd see on a more endurance designed geo but is still comfy. I've owned my Cal 5 for 13 months and it's been a fantastic bike and it's what I do almost all my century rides on.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Here's a picture of my setup. Full Sram force but with Red Crankset and cassette. Bike is fast and really comfortable when you have your tire pressure dialed.
Attachments
IMG_1134.jpeg
IMG_1122.jpeg
IMG_1109.jpeg

Dsonyay

by Dsonyay

skinnybex wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:20 pm
Dsonyay wrote:

You need a 54. You'll regret buying a 51 as your weight bias on the bike will likely give you issues with out of the saddle rear wheel lift and traction loss. I'm 176cm and have an 81cm inseam and I'm on a 54 with a 130mm stem since I have long arms but my saddle is in a good spot on the rails. my setup is about as aggressive as you'd see on a more endurance designed geo but is still comfy. I've owned my Cal 5 for 13 months and it's been a fantastic bike and it's what I do almost all my century rides on.
I appreciate your feedback. I was also test fitted on a Domane SLR gen 4 a few days ago. Initially I thought it would be too big, but the 54 frame fit me really well. The bike fitter felt it was a perfect fit. Standover height was fine and even the reach was good. All this time I thought the 52 would have been my size.

So at first I thought the 54 Caledonia would be perfect.. but the frame geometry is a bit different than the Domane gen4 in 54. Taller standover ht.. but at 31.5" , I should still be fine I would think.

jch3n

by jch3n

Dsonyay wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:47 pm
I appreciate your feedback. I was also test fitted on a Domane SLR gen 4 a few days ago. Initially I thought it would be too big, but the 54 frame fit me really well. The bike fitter felt it was a perfect fit. Standover height was fine and even the reach was good. All this time I thought the 52 would have been my size.

So at first I thought the 54 Caledonia would be perfect.. but the frame geometry is a bit different than the Domane gen4 in 54. Taller standover ht.. but at 31.5" , I should still be fine I would think.
Standover height means nothing these days. You need to be comparing stack and reach figures. I'm not saying those are the only numbers that matter but, by and large, those are the main figures that will get you in the right ballpark.

A 54cm Domane SLR Gen 4 and 51cm Caledonia are pretty close in terms of reach, which you seem to have percieved correctly. Stack is wildly different, and a 51cm Caledonia would be objectively too low if your fitter said that the Domane was a good fit.

See the comparison here: https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geomet ... 01eb5493b,

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Dsonyay wrote:

I'm 178cm and ride a 51. Inside leg is 84cm. I also ride a 51 S3 and a 54 S3, but after 3 years on both sizes I can 100% say that the 51 is a better fit for me.

However, we are different people 😆

Dsonyay

by Dsonyay

jch3n wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:59 pm
Dsonyay wrote:

Standover height means nothing these days. You need to be comparing stack and reach figures. I'm not saying those are the only numbers that matter but, by and large, those are the main figures that will get you in the right ballpark.

A 54cm Domane SLR Gen 4 and 51cm Caledonia are pretty close in terms of reach, which you seem to have percieved correctly. Stack is wildly different, and a 51cm Caledonia would be objectively too low if your fitter said that the Domane was a good fit.

Thanks so much for your input. Very informative link. I compared 54 to 54 and they seem to match up a little bit better.

I'm going to drive to New Orleans today and take a look at the Cal in 54. I think it will fit me fine.

Yea.. fitter tends to like more aggressive style sitting positions and he knows thats how I've been riding for many years as well. Maybe I need to stress how Im interested in a more upright position now. Part of me still wants to be in the slammed position.. but Honestly it's not necessary for the riding Id do on this bike.

BTW I have been using geometry geeks and I really like the link you provided.. i love the visual it gives and the drop down menu to

Can you elaborate just a bit more on the stack differences between 51 cal and 54 Dom?

Thanks so much

Dsonyay

by Dsonyay

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:04 am
Dsonyay wrote:

I'm 178cm and ride a 51. Inside leg is 84cm. I also ride a 51 S3 and a 54 S3, but after 3 years on both sizes I can 100% say that the 51 is a better fit for me.

Wow :)

Yes.. youre a bit taller and longer legged.. and yet you prefer the 51. :). Jist going by those two measurements youd fit Well on 54 Cal (at least fron the perspective of a bike fitter looking at you on the bike). Do you feel like the 54 is just too relaxed of a frame? Do you feel you fit on the 54, but it's just not as aggressive a fit? Thanks very much for reply

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Dsonyay wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:28 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Dsonyay wrote:

Yes.. youre a bit taller and longer legged.. and yet you prefer the 51. :). Jist going by those two measurements youd fit Well on 54 Cal (at least fron the perspective of a bike fitter looking at you on the bike). Do you feel like the 54 is just too relaxed of a frame? Do you feel you fit on the 54, but it's just not as aggressive a fit? Thanks very much for reply

I've owned the 51 s3 for years and it was always a favourite bike, but I did have toe overlap. I managed I get a cheap 54 just to try and it fixed the overlap issue but I always felt the front was too tall. I rode both together for a while and always went back to the 51 for the feel, and made do with the overlap issue.

When looking for another frame I was surprised the Caledonia 5 51 is the same stack and reach as the s3 but with more trail and a longer wheel base - perfect. I do run the 22mm spacer but it looks great with my custom front end.

I get the feel I like and no toe overlap but fenders would be super tight but I have another bike for crappy weather. I'm not sure you'd have that where you are 😃. There is a pic of mine a few pages back.

As a side note - after owning my 51 s3 for around 6 months I went for a bike fit. Initially the guy was sceptical about the 51 but actually agreed with me decision by the end of the fit. Long legs and shorter arms mean I get the saddle setback I like without a shorter stem.
For the record my Caledonia 5 has a 110mm -10 integrated bar with a saddle to bar drop of 10cm.

As another side note. I also have a Reilly SPECTRE in small just to validate it's not just Cervelo sizing.

Dsonyay

by Dsonyay

Steve Curtis wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:56 pm
Dsonyay wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:28 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Dsonyay wrote:

I've owned the 51 s3 for years and it was always a favourite bike, but I did have toe overlap. I managed I get a cheap 54 just to try and it fixed the overlap issue but I always felt the front was too tall. I rode both together for a while and always went back to the 51 for the feel, and made do with the overlap issue.

When looking for another frame I was surprised the Caledonia 5 51 is the same stack and reach as the s3 but with more trail and a longer wheel base - perfect. I do run the 22mm spacer but it looks great with my custom front end.

I get the feel I like and no toe overlap but fenders would be super tight but I have another bike for crappy weather. I'm not sure you'd have that where you are 😃. There is a pic of mine a few pages back.

As a side note - after owning my 51 s3 for around 6 months I went for a bike fit. Initially the guy was sceptical about the 51 but actually agreed with me decision by the end of the fit. Long legs and shorter arms mean I get the saddle setback I like without a shorter stem.
For the record my Caledonia 5 has a 110mm -10 integrated bar with a saddle to bar drop of 10cm.

As another side note. I also have a Reilly SPECTRE in small just to validate it's not just Cervelo sizing.
Thanks! Yeah I have a LOT of toe overlap on the size 50 Caad9.... I'm in the process of moving over most of the parts to a new 52 caad10 frame I acquired for 160 bucks on ebay last year. Looking for a fork at the moment. But that's another subject.

I'm about to start my 2.5 hr drive to test ride a cal in 54. I'm positive it will fit.. just hoping it's not excessively long requiring a short stem mod or seat so low it nearly bittoms out lol

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Dsonyay wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:17 pm
jch3n wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:59 pm
Dsonyay wrote:

Thanks so much for your input. Very informative link. I compared 54 to 54 and they seem to match up a little bit better.

I'm going to drive to New Orleans today and take a look at the Cal in 54. I think it will fit me fine.

Yea.. fitter tends to like more aggressive style sitting positions and he knows thats how I've been riding for many years as well. Maybe I need to stress how Im interested in a more upright position now. Part of me still wants to be in the slammed position.. but Honestly it's not necessary for the riding Id do on this bike.

BTW I have been using geometry geeks and I really like the link you provided.. i love the visual it gives and the drop down menu to

Can you elaborate just a bit more on the stack differences between 51 cal and 54 Dom?

Thanks so much
Do not get a size 51 frame based on someone else's experience, especially since your considering a more endurance oriented frame. You'll likely regret the descision down the road and you'll end up with a bike that never really fits you properly. Pro riders obviously ride smaller frames and are so flexible and want to get in a very aero and low position more often than not but those basic rules apply to very few enthusiast riders. Your body likely falls between sizes so it's always a more difficult decision to male but I'd tell you to let your bike fitter steer you in the direction of which frame size will fit you best and also allow you to be a bit more upright which is why you'd buy a bike like the Caledonia in the first place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com