Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maquisard

by maquisard

New thread to discuss the Cervélo Caledonia endurance bike.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/caledonia-5

Looks good, a BMC road machine copy essentially.

themidge

by themidge

Cervelo definitely got the naming right for the Caledonia - the roads of Scotland are mostly rough, full of potholes, not mountainous but not flat either, and you definitely need mudguards for half the year. So it would be the perfect n=1 bike here.

Although as already noted, the BMC Roadmachine already exists and IMO is much cooler.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

As someone who lives in Toronto, the name is laughable. Id never dare to ride those roads.

But yeah, the roads are bad in that street. Tons of industrial areas and home improvement stores. One of the busiest street in Toronto for sure.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Cervelo Caledonia..............frame design nothing seen so far (Clone attack) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

siim

by siim

Currently riding R3 disc which is the same as R-series now (just rebranded). Caledonia has very similar geo which I like and hidden cables look very pleasing to my eye. But it comes at a (high) price and frame weight has gone slightly up (my frame is 900g, Caledonia 5 is claimed 936g). My R3 clears 30c (measured 31mm) tires wihtout issues but expanding it to 32mm (which in reality means 34-35 would be not an issue) would mean I don't have to lust for a separate gravel machine anymore as my gravel-aspirations are rather tame. With two wheelsets it would make a perfect one-bike-for-all for me. Mudguard mount further extends the amount of time I could spend on this bike when compared to my R3). As a bonus, some of the colourways actually look nice. Definitely a strong contender for my next bike once it's on sale :)

bobshopsupreme

by bobshopsupreme

My initial reaction is that this looks good. I've been looking for something with fully integrated cables and decent tyre clearance and this is this is probably the best I've seen yet (at 35mm unofficial clearance according to CyclingTips). My dream bike would be either Open UP or 3T RaceMax with fully integrated cables but Vroomen doesn't seem to like that. This obviously doesn't do 650b and 40+ tyre clearance so isn't a full quiver killer for me, but would suit my all-surface riding and pavé riding here in France in the winter. And there is a red one!

Haven't seen any weights yet but if Rides of Japan can get an Open Up to the UCI limit it should be possible to get this into the low- to mid- 7kg range. I rode a mid-range Domane with 32mm tyres and 9.5 kg weight and just felt porky and slow (though comfortable).

Nohands83

by Nohands83

I think it looks good. Pleased to see reasonable (small) sized head tube on a 56cm - unlike a Domane etc.
Yes the aesthetic is similar to others but it's a good one.
I'm a convert to this style of all-road bike after riding my Mason Definition.
FYI the geo is similar in terms of fit to an R but with the higher trail, BB drop, wheelbase it will likely ride pretty differently.

chorus88

by chorus88

g32ecs wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm
As someone who lives in Toronto, the name is laughable. Id never dare to ride those roads.

But yeah, the roads are bad in that street. Tons of industrial areas and home improvement stores. One of the busiest street in Toronto for sure.
So Cervelo named the bike after the street? :unbelievable:
I would say Dufferin Street is more challenging (TTC buses & hills)
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

harblhat

by harblhat

chorus88 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:08 pm
g32ecs wrote:

Their Toronto office is located off Caledonia

Karvalo

by Karvalo

harblhat wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:13 pm
chorus88 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:08 pm
g32ecs wrote:

Their Toronto office is located off Caledonia
And Caledonia starts with a C.
I also wouldn;t want to try writing marketing copy for a bike called 'Dufferin'.

spud

by spud

My gravel bike with 72 degree steerer is a bit sluggish steering on the road, to the point where I def prefer the more neutral handling of my road bike. Tires could have something to do with the feel however. This type of bike is probably what most of us past the age of 45 should be riding.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Typical Cervelo at launch, however: from what I gather, basically all midrange groupset (Ultegra Di2 / Ultegra) bikes in "standard sizes" (52 / 54 / 56) are already shown as sold out in Germany; most of the framesets too.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Hexsense

by Hexsense

spud wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:37 pm
My gravel bike with 72 degree steerer is a bit sluggish steering on the road, to the point where I def prefer the more neutral handling of my road bike. Tires could have something to do with the feel however. This type of bike is probably what most of us past the age of 45 should be riding.
What is the fork offset though. Many gravel bikes kill the handling speed with 45mm fork offset with 72degree HTA. That result in 66mm trail which of course feel sluggish.
Cannondale SuperSix Evo size 48-54 has 71.2 degree HTA (i.e. even slacker than your gravel bike), but with 55mm fork offset it handle very fast with trail value=58mm just like road bike with 73 degree and 45mm fork offset.
Cervelo use 3 fork offset across sizes. All sizes have 58.5mm trail. This is proper trail value, just like Specialized Tarmac, Venge etc.

Plug some number of head tube angle, fork offset, wheel-tire size in and play however you like to get trail value around 58-61mm then it'll handle fast like a road bike http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/trailcalc.php

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

This looks good.

Pros:
d shaped steerer (more of this method please)
Nice stems - alum / carbon
Internal routing
Geo
Aero
Tire clearance
Fenders
No iso crap or head shock

Cons:
Bars are a little ugly with the forward wing - but likely can use ACR / DCR bars with the stem
BBright not T47 or BSA
Standard stem headset cover - TBD
Stock 20 offset seatpost (same seatpost as R5 though so can buy 0)
(Sunweb have the bike on their page with a PRO stem, but not sure which headset cover. The stock one likely wouldn't be too clean with a non-Cervélo stem. So they likely used a standard headset cover. But then will leave a little gap behind it).

Price - expensive but not as ridiculous as some others as of late

Does anyone know where to find what stem + bar sizes are used per frame size from Cervélo?

TiCass

by TiCass

What’s up with people wanting T47?
At least with BBRight, when you have misaligned bearings, you can fix it with a screw together BB or a one piece BB. With T47, you’re just stuck with your issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com