Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I can't see the picture.
I made a modded front end for mine, so it's easy to get it to work.

kofsw4

by kofsw4

Sorry, just edited to add the pic properly but it's just a standard SL7 guide spacer.

Could you share a pic of what you've done? Apologies if it's further up the thread already, I 've been through and didn't see it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

kofsw4 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:47 am
Sorry, just edited to add the pic properly but it's just a standard SL7 guide spacer.

Could you share a pic of what you've done? Apologies if it's further up the thread already, I 've been through and didn't see it.
I'm waiting on a new rear hose so mine is in parts right now. Once the hose is with me and I can do a final build I'll post some pics.

Just checked out the sl7 pic. The soloist and C-5 can be routed in the same way depending on the bars you use.
I'm not sure if the soloist spacers are compatible, but the C-5 ones are easy enough to shape.

Steve K

by Steve K

kofsw4 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:07 pm
Does anyone know of any way that a C-5 can be built such that the handlebars can easily be removed and twisted vertically and placed behind the head tube for travel or is this impossible?
No first-hand experience, but Deda Superbox stem and the Caledonia-5 top cover adapter should give the most amount of slack while maintaining a relatively integrated look.

kofsw4

by kofsw4

The Superbox looks like a neat idea although the plastic top cap/adaptor alone is €80!

I've also found this where a guy has trimmed a regular round spacer to allow space for the hoses to route out although I'm not sure he ever rode it and I'm not sure what trimming the carbon fibre like he has done would do for the structural integrity of the spacer!

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/cer ... s/72519/18

kofsw4

by kofsw4

Steve Curtis wrote:
kofsw4 wrote:

I'm waiting on a new rear hose so mine is in parts right now. Once the hose is with me and I can do a final build I'll post some pics.

Just checked out the sl7 pic. The soloist and C-5 can be routed in the same way depending on the bars you use.
I'm not sure if the soloist spacers are compatible, but the C-5 ones are easy enough to shape.
Please do post pics and list of your setup. I picked up a purple carbon Cal5 frame and while it's very nice, I couldn't help but be disappointed with the weight of the 100mm alloy stem (213g) and 42cm carbon bars (324g) - 536g cockpit on a bike of this value is a bit ridiculous.

I also measured fork (trimmed with 25mm spacers plus low headset cap) at 352g and seatpost at 207g. The thru axles are also very heavy at 70g rear and 60g front so likely will also be replaced.

Size 54 frame with dub BB and both derailleur hangers is 1090g.

jayjay

by jayjay

324g for carbon bars is insane :shock:

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

kofsw4 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:43 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
kofsw4 wrote:

Please do post pics and list of your setup. I picked up a purple carbon Cal5 frame and while it's very nice, I couldn't help but be disappointed with the weight of the 100mm alloy stem (213g) and 42cm carbon bars (324g) - 536g cockpit on a bike of this value is a bit ridiculous.

I also measured fork (trimmed with 25mm spacers plus low headset cap) at 352g and seatpost at 207g. The thru axles are also very heavy at 70g rear and 60g front so likely will also be replaced.

Size 54 frame with dub BB and both derailleur hangers is 1090g.
My 51 was 953g for just the frame. Fork was 330 cut. Sram dub bb was 75.

The seatpost is easy to tune. Mine was 211g stock but just the carbon post was 144g so I changed the mounting system for a total weight of 173 grams without chopping it.

Currently 6.76 with stock axles. I still need to ride it to confirm the fit and chop the steerer / spacers.
I'd imagine there is an easy 200g to drop once I've finalised my fit, changed axles and possibly more if I choose a RED cassette over the force 10-36 .

kofsw4

by kofsw4

Wow, that's really nice! Glad to see that it can be done and thanks for the tips on the seatpost, will definitely have a look.

What bar/stem is that? Seems to fit really well with the aero spacers. Would love to see a close up of the front end.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

kofsw4 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:05 pm
Wow, that's really nice! Glad to see that it can be done and thanks for the tips on the seatpost, will definitely have a look.

What bar/stem is that? Seems to fit really well with the aero spacers. Would love to see a close up of the front end.
I modified the cervelo spacers. I bonded 2 5mm spacers on top of each other, and the two halves together so they're now once piece.
I then milled the top flat so it would fit any stem or integrated bar.

This pic was taken with an additional 5mm spacer when I was trying to work out the fit.

A bad picture of the hose entry/exit

Once I've ridden it a few times, and worked out the saddle to bar drop, I'll either just remove one 5mm or I'll remove both and mill the main 22mm spacer flat.

I'm 5,10 but like the 51 as it's the same stack and reach as my 2016 S3. ( which I adore 🥰 )

The integrated bar is from Ryet but it's a total pile of shite. I'm just using it to set things up while I look for an alternative.

I used the original TI bolts but changed the clamp to two yokes I found on AliExpress and a KCNC cradle I had in my parts bin.

kofsw4

by kofsw4

That's brilliant, you've simultaneously solved the issues of weight and being able to easily remove the stem while still keeping everything neat. I'm going to do exactly the same and have a go at modding a couple of the spacers. Any ideas on the replacement cockpit yet?

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

kofsw4 wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:57 am
That's brilliant, you've simultaneously solved the issues of weight and being able to easily remove the stem while still keeping everything neat. I'm going to do exactly the same and have a go at modding a couple of the spacers. Any ideas on the replacement cockpit yet?
Yep, I'm a problem solver 😂

No idea yet, but I'll keep looking around for something suitable. The Ryet is total garbage, but worked as a proof of concept.

I used gorilla two part epoxy on mine. You could also use a belt sander to "mill" the spacers flat. It's easy enough to do with various tools. Even a file would be ok, but time consuming.

hannawald

by hannawald

jayjay wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:59 pm
2022 Caledonia 5 came with carbon stem and lighter bars, something like 270g if i recall correctly. Stem is around 150g maybe. Not light but better then older versions. There is a possibility to use fsa acr stem, not particularly light as well. Nice to see somebody experimenting with cockpit. One of the downsides owning bike like Cervelo is not many people share their experience, not many alternatives for components, low availability of some parts.
I am concerned what would standard round hole stem do with d-shaped steerer. Colnago uses a plug for upper part of the stem to better support the stem against the steerer.
So far the bike feels good and looks good, I have 2 concerns with it. Cable is rattling inside, even just turning the bars, my mechanic couldn't solve it. Another issue is with my headset becoming loose. If I tighten the expander to max torque which is 8NM, it expands the steerer so much I can't move the stem. If I do less, like 6,5Nm, the headset is slightly loose after couple of rides. I asked Cervelo if they can provide me with the old style glue in expander but they don't have it any more.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

hannawald wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:57 pm
jayjay wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:59 pm
2022 Caledonia 5 came with carbon stem and lighter bars, something like 270g if i recall correctly. Stem is around 150g maybe. Not light but better then older versions. There is a possibility to use fsa acr stem, not particularly light as well. Nice to see somebody experimenting with cockpit. One of the downsides owning bike like Cervelo is not many people share their experience, not many alternatives for components, low availability of some parts.
I am concerned what would standard round hole stem do with d-shaped steerer. Colnago uses a plug for upper part of the stem to better support the stem against the steerer.
So far the bike feels good and looks good, I have 2 concerns with it. Cable is rattling inside, even just turning the bars, my mechanic couldn't solve it. Another issue is with my headset becoming loose. If I tighten the expander to max torque which is 8NM, it expands the steerer so much I can't move the stem. If I do less, like 6,5Nm, the headset is slightly loose after couple of rides. I asked Cervelo if they can provide me with the old style glue in expander but they don't have it any more.
It's fine to use the round stem with a D steerer. I spoke to Cervelo about that, and it was designed to function together.
As for cable rattle, there is plenty of room for foam cable cover so maybe there needs to be more slack in the cable so it's sits nice inside the frame. Hard to diagnose without looking at it.

Indeed you are correct. I couldn't see any modded Cali 5's when I looked at modding the front end. It's actually a very easy frame to mod. Probably easier now with the soloist parts available to mix n match.

Which steerer bung do you have? There are two bung in styles. The black R5 new version and the older long silver version which is terrible.
The new black bung is a nice secure design but is 30g 🤨.
These are available direct from Prima sport. The European importer for Cervelo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

I have a foam cable so hard to say what is wrong with the cable, it doesn't have the bb hole at the bottom so it is a bit unclear...i am sure it has a solution...it's just that 2 mechanics didn't solve it, but they were lazy to dismantle everything and start from scratch.
My expander is the black one. I might use more carbon paste on that probably. I have seen some Jumbo Visma mechanic assembling Soloist and he used plenty of carbon paste.
Do you tighten it with full 8Nm to the fork?