Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ypuh

by Ypuh

I had a squeaking from the bikeshop, but believe it was due to the incredibly poor plastic fantastic €30 BBB Shimano bottombracket that my frame came with. Replaced it with a Hambini BB (before prices went x3) and never looked back.

If I ever decide to upgrade to a Caledonia-5 I'll just carry over the BB. The peace of mind is definitely worth it and as an added bonus it makes the BB feel stiffer too and bearing replacements a breeze. BBInfinite makes them too and I assume others have followed.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

paulpongco

by paulpongco

for those with the caledonia 5, I have not finalized my bike fit and I want to initially set the stem spacers to a maximum during initial build. If I cut the steerer tube once i finalize my fit, can the fork insert (which is glued) be still removed and re-used? If it cannot, how do you go about? thanks

kode54

by kode54

Yes. Read how it’s done a few pages back. It’s a light epoxy and can be backed out with a spacer and M6 bolt. A little elbow grease will break the bond and you can Re glue it once you cut it to size.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

The newer shipped Caledonia-5s come with an expander plug vs epoxy method. So you should be able to get the newer expander.

I had the bonded one. It just recently came loose. Seems to be a slightly common issue. I just asked Cervelo if I can either A) get some new epoxy from them or B) tell me what kind I can buy or C) send me an expander plug. They specifically didn't answer A or B and just said we will do C.

When removing mine, it was still pretty tough to get out. I used several spacers above the stem and just kept tightening slowly.

This was why my headset/stem kept coming loose.
Not a D steerer issue per se, more of a epoxy insert issue, that Cervelo has been using for a long time and it looks like is moving away from.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Also will add, if you have to remove the bonded insert, it will take a while to sand and clean out any left over epoxy inside.

paulpongco

by paulpongco

Thanks for the responses. I also dropped Cervelo support a chat and they recommended FKI-CL005-517A (D shaped compression plug). Will get this installed instead. A few more days of delay before I can start my build..

paulpongco

by paulpongco

Me again. Any leads on zero offset SP24 Seatpost for the Caledonia 5? Saw the Darimo option but I'm not a fan of the T1 loop. Thanks

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

paulpongco wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:13 pm
Me again. Any leads on zero offset SP24 Seatpost for the Caledonia 5? Saw the Darimo option but I'm not a fan of the T1 loop. Thanks
There's three options.
Cervelo's own version.
Darimo
And some other eBay brand that's pretty cheap.

I just swapped and went to Cervelo branded.

The main issue with these seatposts is they do not allow for much fore/aft adjustment because the clamp spacing is very wide. So you can only do about 15mm adjustment.

I found someone local to swap with.

There's one used one on pink bike for sale.

You can also lighten it up with JL eBay rail clamps.

sportsgravel

by sportsgravel

has anyone had any success finding a 140mm stem to suit the 5 series internal routing? looking to go a little longer and try some different bars.

paulpongco

by paulpongco

I wanted to share how I temporarily moved to 130mm stem on my caledonia 5. Good thing i am on DA9200 and found this deda stem while waiting for ST31 130mm.

Vinsanyon

by Vinsanyon

paulpongco wrote:I wanted to share how I temporarily moved to 130mm stem on my caledonia 5. Good thing i am on DA9200 and found this deda stem while waiting for ST31 130mm.

Are you using a normal round shape stem?

How does it hold up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulpongco

by paulpongco

Vinsanyon wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:05 am
paulpongco wrote:I wanted to share how I temporarily moved to 130mm stem on my caledonia 5. Good thing i am on DA9200 and found this deda stem while waiting for ST31 130mm.

How does it hold up?

Yes normal stem. Deda is hallow on the inside so the hydraulic cables can pass through easily..

sportsgravel

by sportsgravel

paulpongco wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:48 am
Vinsanyon wrote:

How does it hold up?

Yes normal stem. Deda is hallow on the inside so the hydraulic cables can pass through easily..
Is this using the standard cervelo handlebar as well?

paulpongco

by paulpongco

sportsgravel wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:52 pm
paulpongco wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:48 am
Vinsanyon wrote:

How does it hold up?

Is this using the standard cervelo handlebar as well?
yes, the one that came with the cal5

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jayjay

by jayjay

Are the models/colors on the Cervelo website already for 2023?