Cervélo Caledonia 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AsphaltAddict
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:57 pm

by AsphaltAddict

Fellow Caledonia owners,
I need to replace the headset bearings on my (non-5, regular, with cables visible) Caledonia. The bearings make a grinding sound and rolling them in hand feels gritty instead of smooth, after only 5000 km and regular greasing.

As from the website, it says Caledonia uses FSA IS-2 headseit bearings, the manual gives me the bearing angles + diameter, but nothing more (see picture)

Edit: I have found out the bearing diameters and IS-numbers for both the lower and upper bearing, see 2 posts below, also Ritxis gave the crucial hint. :thumbup:
Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-29 um 11.48.20.png
Last edited by AsphaltAddict on Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Ritxis
Posts: 1146
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:00 pm
Location: San Sebastian

by Ritxis

AsphaltAddict wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:36 pm
Fellow Caledonia owners,
I need to replace the headset bearings on my (non-5, regular, with cables visible) Caledonia. The bearings make a grinding sound and rolling them in hand feels gritty instead of smooth, after only 5000 km and regular greasing, so the OEM bearings are crap, I am disappointed.

As from the website, it says Caledonia uses FSA IS-2 headseit bearings, the manual gives me the bearing angles + inner/outer diameters, but nothing more (see picture)
I want to replace the FSA however with a better quality Cane Creek headset bearings, since I am disappointed with FSA bearings.

Which one of Cane Creek headsets would the Caledonia?
Which would you choose, if you had to replace your Caledonia headset bearings?
Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-29 um 11.48.20.png
Are you sure the problem is the bearing? On my 2 bikes I use FSA in 1 1/8 and 1 1/2" and they don't give me problems...on friends' bikes I have ridden 1 1/2" both up and down and the same without problems whether they are FSA normal ones or the red FSA SL ones...I got a small OEM batch from a former PRO team and they are the ones I use

the FSA reference if you want to look for another brand it would be this one MR127 (073E-RS)

AsphaltAddict
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:57 pm

by AsphaltAddict

Ritxis wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:04 pm
AsphaltAddict wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:36 pm
Fellow Caledonia owners,
I need to replace the headset bearings on my (non-5, regular, with cables visible) Caledonia. The bearings make a grinding sound and rolling them in hand feels gritty instead of smooth, after only 5000 km and regular greasing, so the OEM bearings are crap, I am disappointed.

As from the website, it says Caledonia uses FSA IS-2 headseit bearings, the manual gives me the bearing angles + inner/outer diameters, but nothing more (see picture)
I want to replace the FSA however with a better quality Cane Creek headset bearings, since I am disappointed with FSA bearings.

Which one of Cane Creek headsets would the Caledonia?
Which would you choose, if you had to replace your Caledonia headset bearings?
Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-29 um 11.48.20.png
Are you sure the problem is the bearing? On my 2 bikes I use FSA in 1 1/8 and 1 1/2" and they don't give me problems...on friends' bikes I have ridden 1 1/2" both up and down and the same without problems whether they are FSA normal ones or the red FSA SL ones...I got a small OEM batch from a former PRO team and they are the ones I use

the FSA reference if you want to look for another brand it would be this one MR127 (073E-RS)
I am pretty sure it is the bearing, however maybe I did FSA unjust and just received a bad item, maybe they are good as a brand. I edited the upper post before FSA sue me.

However when built in, freshly greased and turning the handlebars in the air, it makes this gritty, grinding sound and a crunching noise, so the bearings definitely need replacement.

Thanks for the reference MR127! I could find them on a German bearings store even cheaper than FSA or Cane Creek and will try these.
With some research, I have now the numbers for both:
  • MR127 / IS-52 is the lower headset bearing of the Caledonia = 1 1/2" with 36°/45° angles and inner/outer diameter + height: 40 x 51.8 x 8 mm
  • MR 122 / IS-41 is the upper bearing = 1 1/8" with 36°/45° angles and inner/outer diameter + height: 30.2 x 41 x 6.5 mm

jch3n
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:34 pm

by jch3n

Just finished this build. Standard 56cm Caledonia, 7.1kg.

On a side note, is anyone able to confirm that the Cervelo bottle boss cover plate (Part# CVR-WB) is reusable? The cover that came with the frame, for the top tube bottle cage/bag mount, is just stuck on with adhesive, rendering it basically a one time use item. Like wtf, Cervelo?

IMG_6967.jpg

kafreeman
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:46 pm

by kafreeman

jch3n wrote:Just finished this build. Standard 56cm Caledonia, 7.1kg.

On a side note, is anyone able to confirm that the Cervelo bottle boss cover plate (Part# CVR-WB) is reusable? The cover that came with the frame, for the top tube bottle cage/bag mount, is just stuck on with adhesive, rendering it basically a one time use item. Like wtf, Cervelo?

IMG_6967.jpg
Nice bike, what is the crank combo?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk


jch3n
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:34 pm

by jch3n

kafreeman wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 4:15 am
Nice bike, what is the crank combo?
Red D1 crank arms and Alugear 2x Aero DM chainrings

thirdsun
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:20 pm

by thirdsun

jch3n wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 12:49 am
On a side note, is anyone able to confirm that the Cervelo bottle boss cover plate (Part# CVR-WB) is reusable? The cover that came with the frame, for the top tube bottle cage/bag mount, is just stuck on with adhesive, rendering it basically a one time use item. Like wtf, Cervelo?


IMG_6967.jpg
Yeah, I was surprised too. I'm using the cover right now, but will remove it if I ever need to use a top tube bag. Luckily it looks half decent without the cover too. Still a strange cover design.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

kafreeman
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:46 pm

by kafreeman

I'm surprised mine is still hanging on after three years

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk


AsphaltAddict
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:57 pm

by AsphaltAddict

My standard (non-5) Caledonia seat post clamp made problems:
  • Recently, after tightening the clamp with a torque wrench set to the proposed 6 Nm the screw tore with a bang before reaching the 6 Nm (I had re-adjusted my saddle quite often, however that should not make the screw tear apart)
  • I replaced the screw with a standard one ... that, too, after 2 or 3 uses tore
  • as I inspected the seatpost clamp, there were metal shavings, also the inner thread does not grip the screw correctly any more, it turns freely and thus does not tighten any more
I wanted to replace it with a standard round 31.8 seatpost clamp, however this is not possible, since Cervelo added a flat side to the clamp/seat tube making the shape proprietary (see image). Those manufacturers with their proprietary parts ... ugh!
Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-09 um 13.18.02.png
I had to order it expensively from an Austrian online shop, since no online shop in whole Germany seems to this exact replacement part.
It was over 40 Euros including shipping + tax (!) for that cheap, apparently low-quality aluminium build (same quality as those 5 EUR-clamps you get everywhere).

Did you experience similar problems or is it just I adjusted my saddle height too often, maybe a dozen times (thus, loosen and re-tighten the seatpost clamp too often)?

jayjay
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:07 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

by jayjay

Never had a problem with my clamp

jch3n
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:34 pm

by jch3n

AsphaltAddict wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 am
after tightening the clamp with a torque wrench set to the proposed 6 Nm
6Nm is much too much in my opinion. I've never tightened a standard(ish) external seatpost clamp more than 4Nm, on any bike, and I've haven't had any issues with stripped threads or seatposts slipping....

EDIT: I think it's also worth pointing out that the torque figure printed on seatpost clamps and other parts is usually the MAX torque. It doesn't mean you have to use that specific torque.

AsphaltAddict
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:57 pm

by AsphaltAddict

jch3n wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm
AsphaltAddict wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 am
after tightening the clamp with a torque wrench set to the proposed 6 Nm
6Nm is much too much in my opinion. I've never tightened a standard(ish) external seatpost clamp more than 4Nm, on any bike, and I've haven't had any issues with stripped threads or seatposts slipping....

EDIT: I think it's also worth pointing out that the torque figure printed on seatpost clamps and other parts is usually the MAX torque. It doesn't mean you have to use that specific torque.
Thanks, that's valuable information!
It says 6 Nm on the Cervelo seatpost clamp, so they are actually doing their customers a disservice. When the replacement clamp will be delivered, I will try with 4 or 4.5 Nm, since I always use carbon paste on the seatpost.

thirdsun
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:20 pm

by thirdsun

AsphaltAddict wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 7:29 pm
jch3n wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 6:00 pm
AsphaltAddict wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 9:02 am
after tightening the clamp with a torque wrench set to the proposed 6 Nm
6Nm is much too much in my opinion. I've never tightened a standard(ish) external seatpost clamp more than 4Nm, on any bike, and I've haven't had any issues with stripped threads or seatposts slipping....

EDIT: I think it's also worth pointing out that the torque figure printed on seatpost clamps and other parts is usually the MAX torque. It doesn't mean you have to use that specific torque.
Thanks, that's valuable information!
It says 6 Nm on the Cervelo seatpost clamp, so they are actually doing their customers a disservice.
It's my understanding that those values should be regarded as the maximum.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

de lars cuevas
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:28 pm
Location: the Netherlands

by de lars cuevas

Caledonia 61 + Ekar 9/36 + Ratio 42t + Reserve 34/37. :D
DSC_0152.JPG

Post Reply