My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mocs123

by Mocs123

You don't even have to do that, just drop it into melted wax. Any old wax will melt at that point.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

I'm sure this has been answered many times already, but do you first drop it into a pot of any old random wax to remove any contamination before you drop it into the main wax pot?

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

No, boiling water does that.

basilic

by basilic

For best results, start with a new chain, strip of factory lubricants, then wax. Even if you didn't wash it with boiling water between waxes, the chain will keep what feels like forever (>>15000 km). Rinsing with hot water before waxing may improve on that (I don't bother).
If the chain has been used, lubed with oil, it's contaminated inside the rollers, and you'll never get that out. It'll work fine with wax, but won't last as long.

man1ac

by man1ac

Is there some decent guide on waxing I could follow? Wanna try it coming from wet lubes.
Have the Ultrasonic Cleaner anyway and just ordered some MSW.
I'd start with my Ultegra chain (approx 5000km on it. No wear measurable), clean it with the ultra sonic and chain cleaner.
Then a fine acetone bath to get everything out, then bathing in hot wax..

What I don't get:
After waxing I'll run the chain for like 200-300km (only nice weather) and then I need to do it all over again?

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Eterna7m wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:26 am
The guy above us literally just said not to use boiling water. Hence my question on how you get rid of the "contaminated" wax.

Erlandal

by Erlandal

Torbjorn wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:33 pm
Eterna7m wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:26 am
The guy above us literally just said not to use boiling water. Hence my question on how you get rid of the "contaminated" wax.
If you just rode in really filthy conditions, you can pour boiling water onto your chain in order to prevent bringing too much shit into your wax bath.
Otherwise, you can just drop your chain in the bath and be on your way.

matcav

by matcav

man1ac wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:44 pm
After waxing I'll run the chain for like 200-300km (only nice weather) and then I need to do it all over again?
in good weather conditions, my chain usually stands good for 4/500km - shorter if it's wet/dirty rides.
then yes, I usually take it out, and install another one (I have two chains rotating on the same drivetrain) already prepared. If both did their turn, I put them in a container with boiling water, rinse them a couple of times, dry, and go for another wax bath

man1ac

by man1ac

matcav wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:24 pm
man1ac wrote:
in good weather conditions, my chain usually stands good for 4/500km - shorter if it's wet/dirty rides.
then yes, I usually take it out, and install another one (I have two chains rotating on the same drivetrain) already prepared. If both did their turn, I put them in a container with boiling water, rinse them a couple of times, dry, and go for another wax bath
Thank you! So you dont relube with any wet-wax lube "on the fly"?

uppis

by uppis

man1ac wrote:
Is there some decent guide on waxing I could follow? Wanna try it coming from wet lubes.
Have the Ultrasonic Cleaner anyway and just ordered some MSW.
I'd start with my Ultegra chain (approx 5000km on it. No wear measurable), clean it with the ultra sonic and chain cleaner.
Then a fine acetone bath to get everything out, then bathing in hot wax..

What I don't get:
https://moltenspeedwax.com/pages/clean-your-chain That step is easier with ufo clean, they also have guide for ultrasonic cleaner but no experience with that
https://moltenspeedwax.com/pages/waxing-your-chain
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au goes really deep with waxes as well

slijkplaat

by slijkplaat

what do you people do when you have a wet ride ?
i always read that you have to rewax , but also after a 20km short community ride ?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

slijkplaat wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:47 am
what do you people do when you have a wet ride ?
i always read that you have to rewax , but also after a 20km short community ride ?
Top it up with a drip wax. UFO Drip, Silca Super Secret, etc.

kode54

by kode54

I carry a small squeeze bottle with me on wet days of the Silca one and only use it when needed to avoid hearing a chirpy chain. I also learned many years back that on a hard pack dusty dirt ride, my freshly waxed chain didn’t last as long ((70+ mi) and I was squeaking on the way home. So I take the same small one ounce bottle on those rides as well. Whe I say dusty, I mean that powdery dust that gets everywhere, even inside the frame as I noticed some when changing BB bearings out a year later.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

rolfo

by rolfo

Sorrry, but I couldn't find the answers in the post...

I had my Silca wax overheated to 140 degrees (left the crackpot on high..). Is this wax still usable or did it lose it function?

And I drive Sram AXS (force and red) chains but the drivetrain seems pretty loud when the the wax has broken in.
Same experience here? I use the Silca secret drip the fill the chain up, but rolls of as the chain is still waxed. So it doesn't seem the chain is the "raw"at that point.
Also on my "Tacx" set up which even come outside ;-)

Any info would be helpfull, thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

rolfo wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:43 pm
Sorrry, but I couldn't find the answers in the post...

I had my Silca wax overheated to 140 degrees (left the crackpot on high..). Is this wax still usable or did it lose it function?

And I drive Sram AXS (force and red) chains but the drivetrain seems pretty loud when the the wax has broken in.
Same experience here? I use the Silca secret drip the fill the chain up, but rolls of as the chain is still waxed. So it doesn't seem the chain is the "raw"at that point.
Also on my "Tacx" set up which even come outside ;-)

Any info would be helpfull, thanks!
Cant help you with the first question, but regarding the noise, I had the same issue when running Sram AXS waxed. In my experience a Red cassette helps dramatically with the noise.