My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

calicyclist wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:57 am
Silly question here but something that drives me crazy about waxing ... how do ya'll take the chain out of the crockpot and hang it up without dripping wax all over the place? I do it all outside so it's not a huge deal but I still end up dripping stuff on my shirt half the time as well as the table the crockpot is on, etc. Feel like there is something I must be missing.
You're overthinking this. Just use an old shoe box or something with the lid off. Even a piece of flat card board would work. Pull the chain out of the wax and let some of the residual wax drip back into the pot, then immediately hold the box/cardboard under the chain as you walk it over or place it where you intend to let it hang. Keep the box/cardboard under it.

TheBelgian

by TheBelgian

I use a metal wire through the chain, pull it out with that when it's done and I have Cyclowax' chain hanger (from when I bought their kit) that's installed above the pot, and I hang the wire on there. If you have to move the chain elsewhere you'll be spilling wax for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drc

by drc

I just use a photography tripod standing over the wax melting pot. A lot of tripods have a hook underneath to hang something heavy for stabilization. One chain cools down over the pot while the next chain is in there.

BudhaNL

by BudhaNL

I do 3 chains at the same time. First I put the chains on a steel wire to handle them easily. I let the crockpot warm up & clean the chains with boiling water, then into the hot air oven at about 80°C on baking paper to dry. Then 3 warm chains go into the crockpot, stir them around for a couple of minutes, and get them out by the wire that I kept outside the pot. They dry on that baking paper I used previously.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I decided to buy a dedicated crock pot and start waxing again with the remaining AB graphenwax I have. After reading up on ZFC, should I expect my chain to disintegrate within 1000 miles?? Seems he's pretty down on AB wax, though high on their drip product.

Anyone use AB graphenwax long term and can give their opinion?
Basso Palta II - SRAM Force AXS 2x - Road/Gravel/Commute
Wilier Cento10AIR - retired
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Collecting dust

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

superpiki

by superpiki

Do you have any experience with waxing a rainbow SRAM Red flat top 12-speed chain? Are there any pros or cons over a regular silver chain in regards to waxing?

Lakal

by Lakal

JMeinholdt wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:53 pm
I decided to buy a dedicated crock pot and start waxing again with the remaining AB graphenwax I have. After reading up on ZFC, should I expect my chain to disintegrate within 1000 miles?? Seems he's pretty down on AB wax, though high on their drip product.

Anyone use AB graphenwax long term and can give their opinion?
No long term use but the chain made a lot of noise after 60-80km. Tried to rewax three times with the same result. Replaced it with MSW and the problem was gone.

warthog101

by warthog101

calicyclist wrote:
Silly question here but something that drives me crazy about waxing ... how do ya'll take the chain out of the crockpot and hang it up without dripping wax all over the place? I do it all outside so it's not a huge deal but I still end up dripping stuff on my shirt half the time as well as the table the crockpot is on, etc. Feel like there is something I must be missing.

On another note, I recently started trying the FlowerPower wax as a top up and, as mentioned in this thread, it is so dirty it is gross. I use wax-based lubes to have a cleaner drive train but with FlowerPower, it's almost the same level of black gunk everywhere as with regular wet or dry lube. Switching back to UFO for top up.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

calicyclist wrote:

On another note, I recently started trying the FlowerPower wax as a top up and, as mentioned in this thread, it is so dirty it is gross. I use wax-based lubes to have a cleaner drive train but with FlowerPower, it's almost the same level of black gunk everywhere as with regular wet or dry lube. Switching back to UFO for top up.

I wax 4 chains at once, all neatly threaded onto coat hangers bent into swisher tools, let the pot cool to 145F and then pull them out one by one. It only takes holding the chain over the pot for a minute for it to stop dripping.

And yes it’s been repeatedly stated that Flower Power runs dirty and also it’s not a paraffin base so it will contaminate the wax in your slow cooker.

TheBelgian

by TheBelgian

superpiki wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:59 pm
Do you have any experience with waxing a rainbow SRAM Red flat top 12-speed chain? Are there any pros or cons over a regular silver chain in regards to waxing?
Since the wax isn't sticking to the outside of the chain, it shouldn't matter.

izy

by izy

superpiki wrote:
Cons since the links have holes in them at the pins my OCD made meanually push out the wax on each link there

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

izy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:50 am
superpiki wrote:
Cons since the links have holes in them at the pins my OCD made meanually push out the wax on each link there
This. Having a chain with hollow pins is practically pointless for waxing unless you want to spend the time to clean out each of the pins every time you wax. If you don't, it defeats the weight saving purpose.
Basso Palta II - SRAM Force AXS 2x - Road/Gravel/Commute
Wilier Cento10AIR - retired
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Collecting dust

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

by 208

izy wrote:
superpiki wrote:
Yeah I do this too

ArtV

by ArtV

JMeinholdt wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:41 pm
izy wrote:
superpiki wrote:
This. Having a chain with hollow pins is practically pointless for waxing unless you want to spend the time to clean out each of the pins every time you wax. If you don't, it defeats the weight saving purpose.
I am OCD enough to push the wax out of the hollow pins as well. But I have to ask, is anyone waxing their chain for weight savings? I'm as 'weight weenie' as anyone but I can't imgine that tiny bit of wax that is in the hollow pins actually impacts anything performance wise.........

voicycle

by voicycle

ArtV wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:55 pm
JMeinholdt wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:41 pm
izy wrote:
superpiki wrote:
I am OCD enough to push the wax out of the hollow pins as well. But I have to ask, is anyone waxing their chain for weight savings? I'm as 'weight weenie' as anyone but I can't imgine that tiny bit of wax that is in the hollow pins actually impacts anything performance wise.........
Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 19.16.42.png
Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 19.16.42.png (32.53 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 19.17.00.png
Didn't look beyond the first two google hits, but I'm sure it's not that hard to find more accurate data and do the math if one were so inclined...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com