My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Newly waxed chain, I broke free each link and put tbe bike on my trainer. The chain is skipping over the cassette when hand spinning the cranks.

The chain is shelling it's shavings, will the skipping stop? Brand new chain, we'll cleaned, brand new cassette.

fa63

by fa63

It won't (or shouldn't) skip once under load and engaged properly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

I've got nothing worthwhile to say that hasn't already been said.

I use to hot wax my chains many years ago, first it was just hot paraffin, then later we added PTFE when it became available, I did this for about 8 years, I got tired of it, and ended up dreading lubing my chain! So when the first bottle lube came along I ran to buy it and try it, it was called TriLube, still on the market to this day, but it worked as good if not better than wax so I was sold.

The same thing with cleaning my chain, I use to remove it and so all that stuff, now I just leave the chain on the bike, get a sponge soaped up with Dawn for Dishes, non citrus version, hold the sponge in my hand wrap it around the chain and spin it backwards a bunch of times, rinse the chain with water let it dry and it's good to go. I do this at the same time I wash my bike, just wash the chain and gears last so as not to get the chain gunk on the bike frame.

The same was true with tubulars, I began to loathe tubulars, just too much work involved, so when Specialized came out with the first folding bead tire, I ran to get a pair and new rims to go along with them.

It was like I had to be some sort of religious guru to ride my bike! I'm just not that type of person, it's a hobby for me to have fun with, and it's not intended to be work in my mind. This was one of the reasons I quit racing, not only because it was becoming a lot of tedious religious guru work, but also because of the expense and time away from my family. That's just me obviously, some people like all the religious guru type of experience of hot waxing chains, and riding tubulars, getting into spreadsheets for their training, etc, but that stuff is not for me.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

froze wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:31 am

I use to hot wax my chains many years ago, first it was just hot paraffin, then later we added PTFE when it became available, I did this for about 8 years, I got tired of it, and ended up dreading lubing my chain! So when the first bottle lube came along I ran to buy it and try it, it was called TriLube, still on the market to this day, but it worked as good if not better than wax so I was sold.

The same thing with cleaning my chain, I use to remove it and so all that stuff, now I just leave the chain on the bike, get a sponge soaped up with Dawn for Dishes, non citrus version, hold the sponge in my hand wrap it around the chain and spin it backwards a bunch of times, rinse the chain with water let it dry and it's good to go. I do this at the same time I wash my bike, just wash the chain and gears last so as not to get the chain gunk on the bike frame.

The same was true with tubulars, I began to loathe tubulars, just too much work involved, so when Specialized came out with the first folding bead tire, I ran to get a pair and new rims to go along with them.

It was like I had to be some sort of religious guru to ride my bike! I'm just not that type of person, it's a hobby for me to have fun with, and it's not intended to be work in my mind. This was one of the reasons I quit racing, not only because it was becoming a lot of tedious religious guru work, but also because of the expense and time away from my family. That's just me obviously, some people like all the religious guru type of experience of hot waxing chains, and riding tubulars, getting into spreadsheets for their training, etc, but that stuff is not for me.
Thanks for letting us know. Have a good day.

froze

by froze

Sock3t wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:43 am
froze wrote:

Thanks for letting us know. Have a good day.
:laughat: :laughat:

Sock3t

by Sock3t

fa63 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:18 am
It won't (or shouldn't) skip once under load and engaged properly.
I changed jockey wheels so I need to make a quick adjustment for that but you were correct - after breaking the rest of the wax off the chain is primo and doesn't skip at all.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

I ordered some pre-waxed chains from Molten Speed wax. Is there any problem dipping these in my Silca pot when they need to be re-waxed?

Also, MSW sent me a puck of wax. Can I just throw this in with my Silca wax or leave it on the shelf for when I need more wax?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Sock3t wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:21 am
I ordered some pre-waxed chains from Molten Speed wax. Is there any problem dipping these in my Silca pot when they need to be re-waxed?

Also, MSW sent me a puck of wax. Can I just throw this in with my Silca wax or leave it on the shelf for when I need more wax?

You’re better off using just enough wax to immerse your chain than adding more. You will partially contaminate the new wax while also increasing the time it take for the slow cooker to melt your wax.

Golden

by Golden

Quick question as I'm about to try wax for the first time: Flowerpower or ufo drip for indoor riding (500-600 virtual km per week)? Preferably one application should last for a week.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Golden wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:37 pm
Quick question as I'm about to try wax for the first time: Flowerpower or ufo drip for indoor riding (500-600 virtual km per week)? Preferably one application should last for a week.
UFO drip.

Flower power is not paraffin based wax, it doesn't fully solidify. Ufo Drip is better, although you'll have to deal with the initial shedding.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Either should work fine as long as you clean your chain correctly. UFO drip is supposed to be the best drip wax lube, but it's expensive. I've used Silca Super Seceret and am just trying Flowerpower.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Lakal

by Lakal

Golden wrote:
For indoor riding, Flowerpower is fine.
You could also consider Rex Black Diamond if you are only using the bike for indoor riding. It is a "wet" wax lube but it will last a lot longer and be more quiet.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Golden wrote:
I offer no recommendation on the lube you should use, bur man oh man is that a lot of indoor riding. I go crazy in a small fraction of that.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Anyone who rides 600km indoors per week should consider a smartbike if they have room. And with that kind of volume, I can't imagine the setup being anything but permanent either.

warthog101

by warthog101

froze wrote:

Cbfed either.
I enjoy riding them, not maintaining them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com