My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

froze

by froze

warthog101 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:59 am
froze wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:31 am

Cbfed either.
I enjoy riding them, not maintaining them.
That's exactly my thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MDecius

by MDecius

MagicShite wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:19 pm
Golden wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:37 pm
Quick question as I'm about to try wax for the first time: Flowerpower or ufo drip for indoor riding (500-600 virtual km per week)? Preferably one application should last for a week.
UFO drip.

Flower power is not paraffin based wax, it doesn't fully solidify. Ufo Drip is better, although you'll have to deal with the initial shedding.
Why wouldn't it solidify just because it's not paraffin-based? Candles have been made from other types of wax (soy, palm, etc) for ages and they are perfectly solid until lit. Flowerpower claims that their product has a higher wax-to-water ratio than other products as well, so that should mean a thicker wax layer is formed per unit application volume.

I have never used it but can't see why its origin means it won't solidify.
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MDecius wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:17 am

Why wouldn't it solidify just because it's not paraffin-based? Candles have been made from other types of wax (soy, palm, etc) for ages and they are perfectly solid until lit. Flowerpower claims that their product has a higher wax-to-water ratio than other products as well, so that should mean a thicker wax layer is formed per unit application volume.

Well it's true. Flower Power does stay gooey at the same temperatures where UFO Drip becomes powdery, presumably the sunflower seed wax retains a higher oil content. Effetto Mariposa's own words: "The chain will not be dry to the touch - given the layer of wax that also protects the outside - but it will not be greasy or sticky and will not retain dirt."

warthog101

by warthog101

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:29 am
MDecius wrote:

Well it's true. Flower Power does stay gooey at the same temperatures where UFO Drip becomes powdery, presumably the sunflower seed wax retains a higher oil content. Effetto Mariposa's own words: "The chain will not be dry to the touch - given the layer of wax that also protects the outside - but it will not be greasy or sticky and will not retain dirt."
I just got some but haven't used it yet.
Sounds like I'll save it for the road.
Stay with squirt on the gravel bike.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

MDecius wrote:
MagicShite wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:19 pm
Golden wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:37 pm
Quick question as I'm about to try wax for the first time: Flowerpower or ufo drip for indoor riding (500-600 virtual km per week)? Preferably one application should last for a week.
UFO drip.

Flower power is not paraffin based wax, it doesn't fully solidify. Ufo Drip is better, although you'll have to deal with the initial shedding.

I was going to finish writing something exactly about this as a longer term feedback for the flower power, but I CTRL+W my tab before it's done.

At least from where I'm from (tropical country), it's humid and somewhat decent temps, around 25-35C typically. The FP is simply too "liquid". It's very easily wiped off with kitchen wipes and if you get water splash near the chain, you get dark droplets everywhere on the floor. It never solidifies and acts more like a typical wet lube. You can easily strip the entire thing clean with alcohol plus kitchen wipes.

I'm actually starting to be concerned that perhaps it is not doing it's job as a lube properly as it never truly solidifies on an acceptable level. Long term observation required.

MDecius

by MDecius

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:29 am
MDecius wrote:

Interesting - I found this text on their site and I agree it is confusing. Just a few paragraphs earlier, they write: "Creates a solid layer of wax between the moving parts of the chain, reducing friction, noise and increasing the life of the chain".

MagicShite wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:02 pm

I was going to finish writing something exactly about this as a longer term feedback for the flower power, but I CTRL+W my tab before it's done.

At least from where I'm from (tropical country), it's humid and somewhat decent temps, around 25-35C typically. The FP is simply too "liquid". It's very easily wiped off with kitchen wipes and if you get water splash near the chain, you get dark droplets everywhere on the floor. It never solidifies and acts more like a typical wet lube. You can easily strip the entire thing clean with alcohol plus kitchen wipes.

I'm actually starting to be concerned that perhaps it is not doing it's job as a lube properly as it never truly solidifies on an acceptable level. Long term observation required.
Also very interesting. The ZFC review agrees that it runs dirtier than other drip-based products like UFO, but that the price/performance ratio might make it a good choice for dry riding (or indoors perhaps) because of zero penetration issues. I am tempted to buy a test bottle for a new bike I am currently building, especially because my location makes the price to get it much lower than importing.
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It’s not confusing. MagicShite and I are actually using this lube and you obviously haven’t been. It is gooey.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

So it's significantly "less clean" to the touch compared to Silca SS drip?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Mocs123 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:27 pm
So it's significantly "less clean" to the touch compared to Silca SS drip?

It’s highly recommended that you wipe away the excess before your first ride or it will accumulate.

Lakal

by Lakal

My experience is that Flower Power Wax is a little less gooey than Squirt.

MilesG813

by MilesG813

Ok so that took some time to read but I have read all 54 pages up to this point. While I feel prepared to begin the waxing process, I am still a little confused about which type (if any) of wax would be best for my area and climate. I live in Tampa, Florida so it is very humid and hot. I do not go out riding in the rain but very often I will ride after rain so the ground will still be wet with lots of spray. Additionally I occassionally get caught in heavy showers. During the summers I will be riding in wet conditions (wet roads) once a week.

Is waxing going to be more trouble than it is worth if I need to re-dip a chain after riding in wet conditions? I really like the idea of a clean to touch chain and longevity of components but do not want to cleaning and dipping chains weekly.
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

MilesG813 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:50 pm
Ok so that took some time to read but I have read all 54 pages up to this point. While I feel prepared to begin the waxing process, I am still a little confused about which type (if any) of wax would be best for my area and climate. I live in Tampa, Florida so it is very humid and hot. I do not go out riding in the rain but very often I will ride after rain so the ground will still be wet with lots of spray. Additionally I occassionally get caught in heavy showers. During the summers I will be riding in wet conditions (wet roads) once a week.

Is waxing going to be more trouble than it is worth if I need to re-dip a chain after riding in wet conditions? I really like the idea of a clean to touch chain and longevity of components but do not want to cleaning and dipping chains weekly.
I am in Bermuda, which is probably more humid than Tampa, if that's possible.

I have been using the Silca hot melt wax for a few years after using MSW for a year before that. Either one will be fine. You don't need to overthink it.

I have ridden multiple days in a row in the 'wet roads' conditions you reference and the wax holds up very well. If I get caught in a heavy downpour, which doesn't happen that often, I simply rinse the chain with boiling water and re-wax it when it's time to re-wax the five chains I use in rotation.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I live in Southeast Tennessee so also humid just not quite as hot, and like you I generally don't ride in the rain, but ride on wet roads often (the kind that really get your bike nasty). I typically don't change chains or re-lube after riding on wet roads, maybe if I get cought in a deluge.

As you've seen, the big effort is the big clean in the begining, chain, cassette, chainrings, jockey wheels, etc all need to be completely grease/oil free, but after that I think you need 3-4 chains to rotate if you do a hot dip wax, that way you can roate a chain a week or so and just have to hot dip once a month. Hot dipping your chain isn't hard, but it does take some time. I work from home two days a week now, so it's easy for me to run to the garage, turn the crockpot on, jump on a meeting, after the meeting put my chains in, let them soak for a few minutes while I do something else, then hang them up to dry.

The other option, is to do Josh's Silca meathod, which is a hot dip wax every 1,000 miles, and a top off with a wax drip, every 125 miles. The drip wax applies just like other non wax lubes, one drop per roller.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

MilesG813

by MilesG813

Thanks, both of your comments are reassuring. So after riding on wet roads do you just wipe down and dry the chain to try to remove any contamination and prevent rusting?

I think I will be using MSW as my did and CS UFO Drip as a top off. I will definitely use multiple chains.

To the multiple chains point when you rotate a used chain out do you clean it right away or hang up as is and then clean all the chains right before re-dipping.
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

MilesG813 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:21 pm
Thanks, both of your comments are reassuring. So after riding on wet roads do you just wipe down and dry the chain to try to remove any contamination and prevent rusting?

I think I will be using MSW as my did and CS UFO Drip as a top off. I will definitely use multiple chains.

To the multiple chains point when you rotate a used chain out do you clean it right away or hang up as is and then clean all the chains right before re-dipping.
No, unless I am caught in an absolute downpour, I don't do anything with the chain when I'm done. As long as it still has some wax on it - and rides on moderately wet roads don't tend to erode the wax that much, ime - the chain will be fine.

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to bike cleaning, which is one of the reasons why I like waxed chains.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com