My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SunsetRider

by SunsetRider

MrStop wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:43 pm
I have read through the past 30 some odd pages of this thread and about to give this a try on my new setup. Quick question,

For those of you with multiple chains, are you marking them for identification to track miles and wear? If so, how?
I run 4 chains on my road bike & 4 on my mtb. On both, I store them in plastic sandwich bags with a card labeled A, B, C, or D in each bag. This helps me keep track of things in my head and and when I need to set up and do a waxing session. I keep track of these in Garmin Connect where I set a distance limit so I can track when it is time to swap it out for a freshly waxed chain. When I'm on chain D I know it will be time to rewax them all when its limit is reached.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bmrk

by bmrk

SunsetRider wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:30 pm
MrStop wrote:
I have read through the past 30 some odd pages of this thread and about to give this a try on my new setup. Quick question,

For those of you with multiple chains, are you marking them for identification to track miles and wear? If so, how?
I run 4 chains on my road bike & 4 on my mtb. On both, I store them in plastic sandwich bags with a card labeled A, B, C, or D in each bag. This helps me keep track of things in my head and and when I need to set up and do a waxing session. I keep track of these in Garmin Connect where I set a distance limit so I can track when it is time to swap it out for a freshly waxed chain. When I'm on chain D I know it will be time to rewax them all when its limit is reached.
Don't keep your waxed or used and to be waxed chains concealed in plastic bags as this an invite for them to rust. keep them wrapped in a rag or absorbing kitchen paper.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

SunsetRider wrote:
MrStop wrote:

Wow! You guys go deep. I am a bit lazy about it. I rotate four but they go into one container when they're done to await a rewax and I don't know what order they go on the bike and how much mileage each has on them. I simply measure them every once in a while and if they're good to go, they keep on going.

I've been waxing my chains for almost four years and I changed out the first batch of four HG-901 chains about two years in and all seems well. But I'm not a masher and I don't push a lot of watts, so I'm pretty gentle on my equipment.

MikeD

by MikeD

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:54 pm
SunsetRider wrote:
MrStop wrote:

Wow! You guys go deep. I am a bit lazy about it. I rotate four but they go into one container when they're done to await a rewax and I don't know what order they go on the bike and how much mileage each has on them. I simply measure them every once in a while and if they're good to go, they keep on going.

I've been waxing my chains for almost four years and I changed out the first batch of four HG-901 chains about two years in and all seems well. But I'm not a masher and I don't push a lot of watts, so I'm pretty gentle on my equipment.
That's what I do too, but I just started waxing with multiple chains per bike. Two of my bikes have the same chain length and speed and I'm not even tracking what chain goes on what bike. I measure the chain before I take it off the bike; don't want to waste time effort and wax on a spent chain. I hang my chains from a nail on the wall and will probably put the freshly waxed ones at the rear.

GaBa

by GaBa

@BdaGhisallo: Four chains for only two years? That seems good to you? I kept only one campagnolo record 11s chain for much longer than one year and I did almost 10k outside + quite some turbo (~450h in a year) just last year.

I have chains and new cassette ready though and will start waxing after winter and when current chain will be completely done. I got three chains and I sure hope they will last longer than two years of my use :)

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

GaBa wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:02 pm
@BdaGhisallo: Four chains for only two years? That seems good to you? I kept only one campagnolo record 11s chain for much longer than one year and I did almost 10k outside + quite some turbo (~450h in a year) just last year.

I have chains and new cassette ready though and will start waxing after winter and when current chain will be completely done. I got three chains and I sure hope they will last longer than two years of my use :)
In truth, I binned them because I simply didn't trust my measurement. My instinct from 30 years of running oiled chains (I'd never previously got more than a year out of a chain so two years was something) were that chains that old had to be ready for replacement and, since I'd rather replace chains than cassettes and chainrings, I rotated in a new batch of chains.

I am going to be a little more trusting of my measurements this time around, though.

Maddie

by Maddie

bmrk wrote:
SunsetRider wrote:
MrStop wrote:

Don't keep your waxed or used and to be waxed chains concealed in plastic bags as this an invite for them to rust. keep them wrapped in a rag or absorbing kitchen paper.
Interesting. I'm doing this since 2018 and never had rust on one of my chains.

bmrk

by bmrk

Maddie wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:24 pm
It also depends on the amount of mineral oil in the paraffin being used. the larger the oil content, more stiction and less the probability of rust.
I had exaggerated flakiness and rust spots when using fully refined paraffin < 0.3% of oil content.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

bmrk wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:37 pm
Maddie wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:24 pm
It also depends on the amount of mineral oil in the paraffin being used. the larger the oil content, more stiction and less the probability of rust.
I had exaggerated flakiness and rust spots when using fully refined paraffin < 0.3% of oil content.
A dessicant pak in with the chains would remove any worry for those who are worried about rust.

MrStop

by MrStop

I'm thinking about using my Instant Pot and buying a seperate pot/liner. It's a 6 quart model. Is that too big? Should I try a pot-in-pot method https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pot ... stant-pot/ and get a 3 quart insert instead?

I probably going to go with MSW to start. Is 1lbs sufficient, or should I purchase 2 or 3lbs?

MrStop

by MrStop

A few more questions:

1) I'm thinking about using my Instant Pot and buying a seperate pot/liner. It's a 6 quart model. Is that too big? Should I try a pot-in-pot method https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pot ... stant-pot/ and get a 3 quart insert instead?

2) I probably going to go with MSW to start. Is 1lbs sufficient, or should I purchase 2 or 3lbs?

3) How reusable are Shimano 12-speed master links in real life? Should I switch the master links to reusable KMC or YBN models?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MrStop wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:30 am
A few more questions:

1) I'm thinking about using my Instant Pot and buying a seperate pot/liner. It's a 6 quart model. Is that too big? Should I try a pot-in-pot method https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pot ... stant-pot/ and get a 3 quart insert instead?

2) I probably going to go with MSW to start. Is 1lbs sufficient, or should I purchase 2 or 3lbs?

3) How reusable are Shimano 12-speed master links in real life? Should I switch the master links to reusable KMC or YBN models?

Get the 3qt version. 6qt is way, way, way too big.

I'd buy two pucks of MSW, but only use one to start. See if it gets full coverage on however many chains you dip at the same time. The more wax you use, the longer it takes to heat up.

No idea on Shimano master link quality. They are extremely tight to start though...

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

I’ve been using Shimano 12s chain for almost one year and reused link 5-10 times. It connects/reconnects more easily but I have no doubt about its reliability.

SunsetRider

by SunsetRider

MrStop wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:30 am
A few more questions:

I use a 1.5 qt. crockpot which just fits a single chain on the swisher. 6 qt is way too large IMHO.

A .5 lb puck of MSW gives me plenty of wax depth in the 1.5 qt pot. 2 pucks in a 3 qt. should be fine. You could start with one as see if it provides enough depth and add another if needed. I find the wax does a lot more chains than advertised. 1 lb of MSW will get you a lot of miles (km).

I reuse both Shimano and SRAM links several times and go by feel on how tight they are when installing/removing. On my 11 spd Di2 road bike I use a ConnexLink which is a tool-free link with almost infinite uses. Much prefer it to the Quick Links. Unfortunately, they haven't released a ConnexLink in 12 spd yet so I'm stuck with SRAM PowerLinks but I'm hopeful it will be coming along one of these days.

MikeD

by MikeD

If the MSW in my 1.5 qt. Crockpot is getting low, should I just add more MSW to it or dump it and start fresh. Since MSW is dark, can I can tell if it's getting dirty or not?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com