My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

ViperFFM wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:36 pm
But then they release a cleaner that is not only besser than met spritis, gasoline etc. but also fully biodegradable? Any first hand experiences here? Its just hhard to beleive when you look at their BS marketing history for OSPWs.
How many many more first hand experiences do you need than people here before you just buy a bottle and try it yourself?
If you aren't willing to try it and see for yourself, then I dunno what to tell you.

Full disclosure: I think most other Ceramic Speed products are gimmicky and a waste of money based on my experiences with them, therefore I do not use them.

I gave UFO Clean a try myself and have been pleased with it, as well as everyone else I know using it. I am not a fan of their stuff in general, but this particular product does what it says. Therefore I use it.

Do what you have to do. If you wanna use mineral spirits go for it.

Too much over thinking in this thread. Some of you want to make this more complicated than it needs to be. :noidea:

This entire process is supposed to be simple. UFO Clean adds to the simplicity.
Last edited by JaeOne3345 on Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

garbageman

by garbageman

voicycle wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:17 pm
Is it just that the chain gets noisy and rough long before it actually needs a top-up?
Yes. Freshly waxed chains are very quiet at first because of the wax coating the outer surfaces of the chain. When that layer wears off, the chain will become louder, but there is still plenty of wax in the rollers where the lubrication is needed. When you hear squeaking rather than the click-clack noise, you need(ed) to re-wax (yesterday).

Lakal

by Lakal

ViperFFM wrote:
Lakal wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:11 pm
MrStop wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:05 pm
How does UFO compare to using mineral spirits as directed by MSW and ZFC?
It is a lot easier:
https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-c ... ise-v2.pdf

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-c ... ide-V2.pdf
This whole thing is really hard to believe for me. All of a sudden, Ceramicspeed enters the market and has one of the best wax-drips. Cool, fair enough. I have no problem believing this as all waxes are within statistical error anyways.

But then they release a cleaner that is not only besser than met spritis, gasoline etc. but also fully biodegradable? Any first hand experiences here? Its just hhard to beleive when you look at their BS marketing history for OSPWs.

The thread is full of first hand experiences. I already wrote my own experience.
And the recent ufo drip is the second version. The first one had same penetration issues like squirt and smoove.
The new version is good.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I just ordered some UFO clean for some new chains I have to strip, looking forward to making the process easier!

MikeD

by MikeD

uppis wrote:
ViperFFM wrote:
Lakal wrote:
MrStop wrote:
It is a lot easier:

This whole thing is really hard to believe for me. All of a sudden, Ceramicspeed enters the market and has one of the best wax-drips. Cool, fair enough. I have no problem believing this as all waxes are within statistical error anyways.

Yes, have used it, its really good. Used to go with the long method with mineral spirits x3 and alcohol x2 (from ZFC and MSW sites). Ceramic speed works just as good with one short bath than those five combined, chain feels just as clean and MSW adheres just as nicely.
Have only used new chains and rinsed the ufo clean with one bath of alcohol because I was sceptical as well, but thats unnecessary as per ZFC. Ufo drivetrain clean also turns white when it gets in contact with water, easy to see when you have rinsed it off.
Is UFO cleaner non-corrosive? Mineral spirits is not corrosive but all water based or citris cleaners are.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Thanks for the all the reply. Im gonna put that UFO Cleaner to the test on my next chains. Looking forward
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

uppis

by uppis

MikeD wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:29 pm
uppis wrote:
ViperFFM wrote:

Yes, have used it, its really good. Used to go with the long method with mineral spirits x3 and alcohol x2 (from ZFC and MSW sites). Ceramic speed works just as good with one short bath than those five combined, chain feels just as clean and MSW adheres just as nicely.
Have only used new chains and rinsed the ufo clean with one bath of alcohol because I was sceptical as well, but thats unnecessary as per ZFC. Ufo drivetrain clean also turns white when it gets in contact with water, easy to see when you have rinsed it off.
Is UFO cleaner non-corrosive? Mineral spirits is not corrosive but all water based or citris cleaners are.
That I do not know.

Simon430

by Simon430

First time user and have a waxed chain on my indoor trainer, when do I change/rewax? I'm currently on just under 10hrs of riding time, it sounds maybe a little "dry" but I honestly can't really tell. How long should it be roughly between waxes for indoor use only?

TLN

by TLN

What do I need to do with cassette when waxing chains? In case of brand new and used cassette.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Lakal

by Lakal

TLN wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:38 pm
What do I need to do with cassette when waxing chains? In case of brand new and used cassette.
If brand New: nothing
Used: clean it with some sort of degreaser.

Lakal

by Lakal

Simon430 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:29 pm
First time user and have a waxed chain on my indoor trainer, when do I change/rewax? I'm currently on just under 10hrs of riding time, it sounds maybe a little "dry" but I honestly can't really tell. How long should it be roughly between waxes for indoor use only?
If it is a "metal to metal" noise you should rewax. But you should be able to get more than 10 hrs from a waxed chain.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

ViperFFM wrote:
Lakal wrote:
MrStop wrote:
It is a lot easier:

I deserve the flaming I'll get for this but I'll say it; if you're cleaning chains yourself you're wasting time at this point. There's a couple good shops selling pre-waxed chains that aren't overpriced like Ceramicspeed. I won't ever clean a chain again - I have zero interest in using chemical like that.

voicycle

by voicycle

Sock3t wrote:
ViperFFM wrote:
Lakal wrote:
MrStop wrote:
It is a lot easier:

I deserve the flaming I'll get for this but I'll say it; if you're cleaning chains yourself you're wasting time at this point. There's a couple good shops selling pre-waxed chains that aren't overpriced like Ceramicspeed. I won't ever clean a chain again - I have zero interest in using chemical like that.
I felt exactly the same 10 months ago. Guy sells YBN chains with MSW for an extra £14 or just stripped clean for an extra £8.

I’ve changed my tune after getting a bit more price conscious this winter though - not because of the service charge but because of the cost of the chain itself. That guy ONLY sells YBN and even the cheaper 1110 is still £40, where I can usually get an ultegra chain online for £20-25.

That made it worth dealing with spirits and a trip to my local recycling center again - at least for a few chains each winter. I’ll go back to him again once the salt is off the roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lakal

by Lakal

Sock3t wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:53 pm
ViperFFM wrote:
Lakal wrote:
MrStop wrote:
It is a lot easier:

Shops in the EU?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

Finally tried waxing four chains today.
First off. UFO degreaser is crazy good. I've used it on chains, and on cassettes, and I've never seen my own cassettes that clean.
I've just read Concise guide above, and it seems that I may missed one step. I've let chains air dry with no heatgun. Chains got some thin film on em, but sounded very "metal" and clean. Hope that did the trick.
New 11sp road chain looks great on a road bike. Very shiny and clean. Need to give it a ride, but that sounds promising.
Used 12 AXS chain looks great but I hear some noise from lower pulley for some reason. Will give that a ride tomorrow, will see if it's still there.
Other two chains are 100% new, and not installed yet, but looks promising.

I assume whenever I want to re-wax it, I'll simply have to place chain in hot water to remove all the wax and drop it into existing crockpot full of wax. But that's a future problem
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc