My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Xabi

by Xabi

MikeD wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:31 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:07 pm
MrStop wrote:Didn't think of that. You are probably right about the unclipping. I typically unclip my left foot most of the time.
Clipping out on the left prevents a chainring tattoo. On the right, you get them.

If he’s leaving his right leg clipped in with his left leg free while standing around shooting the shit, then there’s a higher chance of his calf randomly rubbing the chainring.
Maybe. All I know is that I used to get them many years ago and then read a Bicycling Magazine tip to clip out on the left side to prevent them. After I switched to that a chainring tattoo for me has been a rare event.
I used to get them when moving the bike through doors or walking beside the bike on narrow paths, not anymore! All bikes waxed now :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurperg

by eurperg

Rex Black Diamond Hot Wax is out now:

https://rex.fi/blackdiamondhotwax

First orders have already been shipped out to retailers. It's already in stock at r2-bike.com

Erlandal

by Erlandal

eurperg wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:48 am

First orders have already been shipped out to retailers. It's already in stock at r2-bike.com
Wonderful! Time to buy a slow cooker and a new chain then (just in time).

otnemem

by otnemem

Adam's findings are highly promising, especially for road cycling.

Erlandal

by Erlandal

otnemem wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:20 am
Adam's findings are highly promising, especially for road cycling.
Sure are. If I can get 20 000+km on a chain with 500+km intervals when it comes to rewaxing (talking mostly about dry to semi-wet riding), I'll be a happy man.
Orders have been sent for UFO Clean, Rex's wax, a slow cooker and two chains.

voicycle

by voicycle

Slight tangent here but since Adam got into cassette wear with those aluminum cogs I'm curious: do cassettes and chainrings *functionally* last forever if you're really conservative about always replacing chains early? Granted, I'm not using anything with alloy cogs, but I've got ultegra cassettes that have been through half a dozen chains and I can't find any indication of them wearing at all. I keep thinking at some point I should plan to replace them but a new one never looks noticeably different enough for me to justify it.

MikeD

by MikeD

voicycle wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:55 am
Slight tangent here but since Adam got into cassette wear with those aluminum cogs I'm curious: do cassettes and chainrings *functionally* last forever if you're really conservative about always replacing chains early? Granted, I'm not using anything with alloy cogs, but I've got ultegra cassettes that have been through half a dozen chains and I can't find any indication of them wearing at all. I keep thinking at some point I should plan to replace them but a new one never looks noticeably different enough for me to justify it.
No, the cassette and chainrings will eventually wear out. Keeping on top of chain wear will obviously make them last longer though.

bsharp77

by bsharp77

Erlandal wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:00 pm
eurperg wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:48 am

Thanks a lot for the heads up.
Wax now ordered! Eager to try it out.

johnsogr

by johnsogr

I currently use the Silca hot wax and notice quite a bit of noise, even with a freshly waxed chain when I’m in the big ring up front and the 24 & 28 tooth cogs out back (I’m running a 10-33 Force cassette with Rival AXS in “sequential”mode). Is there consensus that the XG-1290 is the “quietest” SRAM 12 sp cassette?

TLN

by TLN

I've done a first try at waxing and was pleasantly surprised how quiet my 1290 is now.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I've found that "topping" hot wax off (I'm using MSW) with Silca SS drip quetens it down quite a bit. Recently I've been using Flowerpower instead of Silca SS the past few hundered miles and it seems quieter as well.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

What's the consensus on Silca hot melt vs MSW's new formulation? Which one delivers a quieter running chain?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:33 pm
What's the consensus on Silca hot melt vs MSW's new formulation? Which one delivers a quieter running chain?
Solid wax is solid wax. If you’ve got a quieter running chain with one immersive wax brand, that means some liquid at room temp like kerosene/lamp-oil was added to give it more plasticity. That hurts efficiency and also attracts contamination.

To answer your question, both are so good that it doesn’t matter. MSW performs best until the last extreme test block while Silca Hot Melt only pulls ahead after the last block. The last block does not represent real-world usage in any way so I would probably choose MSW because it is consistently less expensive.

The new Rex wax also tested very well under ZFC’s protocol.

JLiukkonen

by JLiukkonen

Rex Black Diamond Hot Wax has arrived US. At least on New Moon webshop:https://www.newmoonski.com/product/rex- ... -15122.htm

There should be more shops in coming days. :beerchug:
www.rex.fi/en/bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xabi

by Xabi

How do I know when my silca hot melt is old? I clean my chains with boiling water(+hairdryer) before every rewax, so the wax pot shouldn't be very dirty