My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Golden

by Golden

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:39 am
Anyone who rides 600km indoors per week should consider a smartbike if they have room. And with that kind of volume, I can't imagine the setup being anything but permanent either.
600km is 20hours indoor for me. In the summer I usually do 300km indoor and 200km outdoors on the weekend on the same bike. Switching between indoor and outdoor setup takes like 5 minutes.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Golden wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:54 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:39 am
Anyone who rides 600km indoors per week should consider a smartbike if they have room. And with that kind of volume, I can't imagine the setup being anything but permanent either.
600km is 20hours indoor for me. In the summer I usually do 300km indoor and 200km outdoors on the weekend on the same bike. Switching between indoor and outdoor setup takes like 5 minutes.
20 hours of indoor riding... in a single week?!?

You have my admiration. You have mental strength far in excess of what I can muster.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Insane, but as long as it makes you happy!

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Mounted up a pre-waxed chain from Molten Speed Wax. It's the YBN rainbow, it's beautiful and their wax is obviously there but much cleaner than the silica wax I've been using on my dura ace chains.

I typically spend 10 hours a week on the bike and am changing my chain every week and a half or so. My goal is to dip four chains once a month.

Xabi

by Xabi

What's your opinion of mixing 250 grams of silca and 250 grams of msw just for science?

Can anything go wrong?

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Xabi wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:48 pm
What's your opinion of mixing 250 grams of silca and 250 grams of msw just for science?

Can anything go wrong?
You're just diluting all of the added stuff silca added in.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I thought the newest MSW was just as fast as Silca? My guess is they're fairly similar formula's and to be honest each are probably only very slight marginal gains over straight parafin wax. I can't imagine it helping or hurting anything.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

otnemem

by otnemem

Mocs123 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:33 pm
I thought the newest MSW was just as fast as Silca?
It is. They're neck and neck.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Mocs123 wrote:
I thought the newest MSW was just as fast as Silca? My guess is they're fairly similar formula's and to be honest each are probably only very slight marginal gains over straight parafin wax. I can't imagine it helping or hurting anything.
I got a free puck of MSW with my order of pre-waxed YBN chains. I plan to just put it in my silca wax crock-pot next time I wax chains.

I rode my pre-waxed YBN chain for the first time. Great chain - shifts were perfect and it looks beautiful.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Practical question for someone on the edge of jumping right in..... what do you do with used chains that are waiting for the next cycle of waxing to begin? If you're on a monthly cycle, do you have to store the used chains somewhere or in something so they don't rust?

C36

by C36

otnemem wrote:
Mocs123 wrote:
I thought the newest MSW was just as fast as Silca?
It is. They're neck and neck.
No MSW is ahead, less wear and last longer (and cheaper).

jlok

by jlok

Kurt1980 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:25 am
Practical question for someone on the edge of jumping right in..... what do you do with used chains that are waiting for the next cycle of waxing to begin? If you're on a monthly cycle, do you have to store the used chains somewhere or in something so they don't rust?
Didn't even think about rusting. I just leave the chains in drawer to wait for the next waxing.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Kurt1980 wrote:

I wouldn’t leave them in a humid basement or garage during the rainy season if that’s what you’re asking. I did this with freshly waxed chains and they got a little bit of surface rust on them.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Some brief 700km review on the flower power:

1. Really EASY to clean up. Alcohol + kitchen wipes just cleans up my cassette so easily comparing to squirt or even pure wax.
2. The trick to not accidentally stripping your chain is not using alcohol on the milder kitchen wipes. I can still easily wipe the chain clean after every ride.
3. Easily lasts at least 400-500km per application in my experience so far.

I will definitely use this long term. I currently don't see anything better than it for my application.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:43 am
Kurt1980 wrote:

I wouldn’t leave them in a humid basement or garage during the rainy season if that’s what you’re asking. I did this with freshly waxed chains and they got a little bit of surface rust on them.
I'm in Bermuda, where we only know high humidity, and I've never had an issue with this other than a chain that's just done an absolutely rain soaked ride. Then you have to be careful but if it's just normal usage I just keep the used chains in a container until I'm ready to do a wax cycle and it's no issue.