My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SunsetRider

by SunsetRider

TLN wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 5:53 pm
What would be the right procedure to store/keep clean cassette/chain so I avoid rust marks and don't have to add any lubrication.
This is kind of an out there thought but if you happen to have a vacuum sealer (for kitchen use) you could seal them up until ready to use.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

Erlandal wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 12:15 am
whataboutEee wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:48 pm
Erlandal wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:55 pm
I've had my first ride with a Rex waxed chain today, it did felt great, no different than with Silca Synergetic which I used before. It is slightly noisier for sure depending on where the chain sits on the chainring and cassette, but nothing worrying.
I'll try and report later after I've had time to rewax and use it proper.
I'm running it on a 105 chain, aiming for 20-25 000+ km; I'll also be using it on a 10s Deore on my ebike, and I don't know yet what'll be my rewax cycle for this one.
What's your impression of the rex wax? The promise of longer intervals before needing to re-wax is very tempting.
It's been great so far, but I have to admit I do rewax every 250-300km as advised by Adam from ZFC, as I'm too scared to try and run my chain untouched for 800+km.
if it gets anywhere near 6-800km, that would be a game changer. Hopefully we will get some real world results from people soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurperg

by eurperg

"How long it lasts" is a question that must be considered from two different view points. Although the wear rate jump point of Rex Black Diamond Hot Wax (4+1 blend) is 4300 km's in dry road condition single application longevity test, it will sound horrible long before that. However, the chain is is still effectively protected from wear until that point.

So while one application will last 1000+ km's in road conditions for sure, it is highly subjective when one thinks the chain needs to be re-waxed. If you want to ride a quiet chain, wax more often. If you want to wax less often, just ride it longer but be prepared for gradually increasing chain noise.

bsharp77

by bsharp77

I've been waxing now for around 4 months and absolutely love it. The cleanliness is just mind blowing coming from years of black oily mess.

I've been using GLF wax and although I've nothing to compare against it seems pretty good.
I have just received some MSW which will be next to try.
I would like to add Rex Black Diamond to the list but it's just a bit too expensive.

My question is regarding noise - is it just an inherent feature of using wax that the drivetrain will have some noise - getting worse as the wax depletes?

On a fully waxed YBN chain, it starts silent, but within 30 minutes I can start to hear a bit of noise.
I just love a silent drivetrain, but I love cleanliness more, so it's a slight disadvantage I'm willing to live with, but just wondering if there's any of the new waxes that are perhaps quieter (or stay quieter longer) than others??

It's not something I've seen Adam mention over at Zero Friction so interested to hear your thoughts.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

bsharp77 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 8:33 pm
I've been waxing now for around 4 months and absolutely love it. The cleanliness is just mind blowing coming from years of black oily mess.
The cleanliness is, for me, the greatest benefit to waxing. Bike cleanup is a cinch and I find that I don't need to do as often as when I was using oil based lubes.

Waxed chains are a little bit nosier and it'll be something you'll get used to.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

What is the expected milage (km) when waxing chains? If you are doing everything by the book and following all instructions. I can't seem to find the numbers anywhere.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jesper2913 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:01 am
What is the expected milage (km) when waxing chains? If you are doing everything by the book and following all instructions. I can't seem to find the numbers anywhere.

In dry conditions 400-500km for most hot wax products.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:14 am
jesper2913 wrote:

Sorry. My bad. I meant the total life expectancy of a chain when chain waxing.

But thanks.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jesper2913 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:30 am

But thanks.

Lots of variables. I would say to expect at least twice the mileage as you’d normally expect. If you rotate three chains, expect more like 4x the mileage…per chain.

I was rotating 5 chains (too many) and after 55000km none of the chains were even close to 0.5% elongation.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

C36

by C36

jesper2913 wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:14 am
jesper2913 wrote:

But thanks.
Stupidly long distances, so long I struggle to keep track of all the chains but if I split the 4 chains equally they have a >6k km and measuring them they all are between 0.15% and 0.2%.
The 15000km are not a stupid target.

I take the opportunity to highlight that it’s the entire drive train that last way longer (if the chain pitch is stable, the tooth doesn’t wear out nearly as fast)

GaBa

by GaBa

Would it make sense to just go by the hours spent on the bike? I am wondering since I do some riding outside and some indoors (more in the winter, during summer a bit less but still some). Otherwise I am not really sure how to keep track of how long the chaing has been in use. So I was thinking to top it off with drip wax every week (ca. 10-12 hours) and change chain every month (ca. 40-45h). Does that make sense? Because I can easily get it too complicated and honestly don't want it. I started waxing primarily because of the ease of cleaning.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

Thanks. Exactly the info I needed.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

GaBa wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:17 am
Would it make sense to just go by the hours spent on the bike? I am wondering since I do some riding outside and some indoors (more in the winter, during summer a bit less but still some). Otherwise I am not really sure how to keep track of how long the chaing has been in use. So I was thinking to top it off with drip wax every week (ca. 10-12 hours) and change chain every month (ca. 40-45h). Does that make sense? Because I can easily get it too complicated and honestly don't want it. I started waxing primarily because of the ease of cleaning.

It depends on the power/forces going through the chain, the speed of the chain and the environment in which you are riding.

I use a waxed chain for about 400km, then top off with drip wax for another 250km, and again for another 250km before swapping to the next chain in rotation.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

robeambro

by robeambro

Can anybody suggest a suitable "mini drip bottle" (pony bottle, whatever we want to call it) to carry drip lube for eg a long race? Even if you could suggest the right "keyword" to use when searching for this product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com