My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aeo

by Aeo

Disgusting behaviour by Ceramicspeed, discontinued the original UFO Cleaner which was 25€ per 1 litre.
Just to bring it back in a 500 ml bottle at the same price point.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Oh, that just makes sense. Now that there is a Silca alternative priced at 44€/473ml (https://silcavelo.eu/products/chain-stripper), how could we trust such a cheap solvent to do the job effectively? Surely you must be leaving watts on the table if the solvents you use are cheaper than a very fancy wine.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I'm not rich enough to even consider buying stuff like that.
Also smart enough to know that there are alternatives that are 99% the same ....

GaBa

by GaBa

Aeo wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:49 pm
Disgusting behaviour by Ceramicspeed, discontinued the original UFO Cleaner which was 25€ per 1 litre.
Just to bring it back in a 500 ml bottle at the same price point.
I agree! Luckily I got 2 1 litre bottles so I have stock for stripping many chains.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I can buy a gallon of very concentrated citrus degreaser for $12 at Home Depot.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

blaugrana wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:38 pm
Oh, that just makes sense. Now that there is a Silca alternative priced at 44€/473ml (https://silcavelo.eu/products/chain-stripper), how could we trust such a cheap solvent to do the job effectively? Surely you must be leaving watts on the table if the solvents you use are cheaper than a very fancy wine.
That sounds too good to be true tbh. One bottle of chemicals to entirely wipe out all factory grease in 5 minutes?
What kind of "bio" chemicals do they use that are superior to anything we already buy from the gas station.?

When prepping my chains (done like 15) I have used lamp oil for a week (is that correct term? At least in Swedish), Methylated Spirits for another couple of days (also a thing in Sweden, mix of ethanol and methanol),, then Shimano citrus deagreaser bath another couple of days and to finish of I put it in a jar spray regular chain degreaser n such and shake it.

I don't change chemicals between each chain. I have done all the chains in the same chemicals,,, I can see the lamp oil not being very fresh anymore. But still works.

For 3 chains a friend used his autoclave, that was nice :D

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Still using MSW slow cooker and now topping up with Silca super secret driip on, and wow the Silca drip on is really really good!

I usually do 300km on a fresh chain. Previously with Squirt I could squish another 200km before it was a mess.

With Silca I can do 300km + another 300km drip on easily, and the chain doesn't clog up like before so could technically clean it and drip another 300km (up to 900km) because the wax is just that good!

Lakal

by Lakal

eucalyptus wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:06 pm
blaugrana wrote:
That sounds too good to be true tbh. One bottle of chemicals to entirely wipe out all factory grease in 5 minutes?
What kind of "bio" chemicals do they use that are superior to anything we already buy from the gas station.?

When prepping my chains (done like 15) I have used lamp oil for a week (is that correct term? At least in Swedish), Methylated Spirits for another couple of days (also a thing in Sweden, mix of ethanol and methanol),, then Shimano citrus deagreaser bath another couple of days and to finish of I put it in a jar spray regular chain degreaser n such and shake it.

I don't change chemicals between each chain. I have done all the chains in the same chemicals,,, I can see the lamp oil not being very fresh anymore. But still works.

For 3 chains a friend used his autoclave, that was nice :D
Ufo clean has the same ability. It is discussed earlier in the threat I think.
I have used the same 400ml for 7 chains. Let it soak for 10 minutes, shake the bottle, and clean with water.
Here is the guide from ZFC: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-c ... ise-v2.pdf

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

eucalyptus wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:06 pm
blaugrana wrote:
then Shimano citrus deagreaser bath another couple of days and to finish of I put it in a jar spray regular chain degreaser n such and shake it.
Just FYI, it is not advisable to leave the chain to soak for hours in water-based solvents such as e.g. a citrus degreaser, as it will promote hydrogen embrittlement in the steel, which can cause microcracks and eventually chain failure. A few minutes with some shaking before rinsing should be sufficient to degrease the chain.

voicycle

by voicycle

robeambro wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:24 pm
Can anybody suggest a suitable "mini drip bottle" (pony bottle, whatever we want to call it) to carry drip lube for eg a long race? Even if you could suggest the right "keyword" to use when searching for this product.
Try searching for eyedrops or vape juice bottles. Or search by the volume you're looking for and include the word 'drops' or 'drip' or 'dropper' (though you may get some results with a glass bulb dropper rather than just a squeeze bottle). I think the ones I use must be either 10mL or 15mL bottles but I just looked and they don't say on them.

My SO vapes so I just collected a bunch of those bottles and rinsed them out - perfect tool for the job and I've now got a bag of a couple dozen of them in a drawer. Only issue I've encountered is that it's easy to just rip the tip off of the dropper nozzle when trying to remove it for refilling. Solution is to put a knife at the seam between nozzle lid and bottle and then pry the nozzle lid out from its base. No idea if this would still be an issue with other similar containers or not, but that's the solution if you encounter the same problem.

EDIT: I just realised who I was replying to. Hello neighbour! Let me know if you want a couple bottles from my stash. Happy to bring some spares out on a ride to give to you.

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

robeambro wrote:
Can anybody suggest a suitable "mini drip bottle" (pony bottle, whatever we want to call it) to carry drip lube for eg a long race? Even if you could suggest the right "keyword" to use when searching for this product.
Like this ?:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094FSGC6Y

robeambro

by robeambro

voicycle wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:52 pm
robeambro wrote:
Try searching for eyedrops or vape juice bottles. Or search by the volume you're looking for and include the word 'drops' or 'drip' or 'dropper' (though you may get some results with a glass bulb dropper rather than just a squeeze bottle). I think the ones I use must be either 10mL or 15mL bottles but I just looked and they don't say on them.

My SO vapes so I just collected a bunch of those bottles and rinsed them out - perfect tool for the job and I've now got a bag of a couple dozen of them in a drawer. Only issue I've encountered is that it's easy to just rip the tip off of the dropper nozzle when trying to remove it for refilling. Solution is to put a knife at the seam between nozzle lid and bottle and then pry the nozzle lid out from its base. No idea if this would still be an issue with other similar containers or not, but that's the solution if you encounter the same problem.

EDIT: I just realised who I was replying to. Hello neighbour! Let me know if you want a couple bottles from my stash. Happy to bring some spares out on a ride to give to you.
Haha thanks neighbour. I'll have a think, thanks for the offer! I'm wanting to get something for Stone Circle.. Hopefully that won't see me end up in hospital like DR200 :D

robeambro

by robeambro

mvnsnd wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:24 pm
robeambro wrote:
Like this ?:

Yep that's what I'm after - the only reason why I asked is that I don't know whether some may have a drip hole that is too big or too small and not lend themselves to correct dosing of lube, so was hoping someone would have purchased and tested a specific item.

Xabi

by Xabi

robeambro wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:42 pm
mvnsnd wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:24 pm
robeambro wrote:
Like this ?:

Yep that's what I'm after - the only reason why I asked is that I don't know whether some may have a drip hole that is too big or too small and not lend themselves to correct dosing of lube, so was hoping someone would have purchased and tested a specific item.
Get some eye drops, empty the pot and use that. I have used with oil for long trips and works great. Wax won't be any different

man1ac

by man1ac

Quick question: I use MoltenSpeed Wax on all my chains and went into the holidays and forgot my wax at home.
Here in Portugal I dont think I can come by any solid waxes like Silca/MSW or anything. What can I do? I thought about Muc Offs Bio Dry Lube? Its wax based at least?

I dont wanna mess up the chains and have the need to clean them again...
Any other Ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com