My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MikeD wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:35 pm
I think the squeak was my saddle. Just switched to a leather one I hadn't used in a long while, and I forgot it squeaks on occasion.
In dry weather I run my waxed chain for 400km, then top it off with UFO Drip for another 250km, then again for an additional 250km before I rotate in my next immersively waxed chain.

In wet weather, distance pretty much doesn’t matter. I top off with UFO Drip after just one ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

MDecius wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:51 am
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:05 pm
tepextate wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:27 pm
I'm looking to get into chain waxing and had a newbie question.

I'd like to use Dura Ace chains and want to do them in batches (3-4 at at a time).

I know Shimano says that you're not supposed to re-use the quick link once you break them.

So how do you guys who use Dura Ace chains re-wax them? Do you just ignore Shimano's instructions?

Thanks for any advice!
I break and reuse Shimano's quick links many, many times before I discard them. They are pretty snug to close and I think you'll know when the time to discard them comes since they will get easier to close.
FWIW, just a quick question, were you re-using the 12-speed quick links? I just re-used one of them for the first time (only 500km on it before I removed the chain to clean in hot water), and it snapped in half on my next ride despite feeling reasonably tight to close up.

I found with my Red Flatop quicklink that if I waxed it before installation that there was way to much resistance to snap together so I cleaned the wax off and it went together as it should. Once it was installed I sprayed some moto chainwax lube on the link and also the complete chain and its been fine that way. I have about 1500 km on a couple different chains in rotation since Jan with np whatsoever.
I think that with the 12sp quicklinks being as narrow as they are makes for less clearances on the outer/inner plates and I am sure this is why the 12sp chains hold less wax but mine are still going as far as I need in distance. They certainly are not like the 11/10 sp chains of times gone by.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Prippo

by Prippo

What is the best way to store waxed chains that are in rotation? Would it be a good idea to hang it or store it in a paper bag? Should it be cleaned, cleaned and rewaxed or stored as is and clean/rewax just before putting it back on the bike? Reason for asking is that I messed up really bad with my last chain and stored it in a plastic bag which made it rust.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Prippo wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:56 am
What is the best way to store waxed chains that are in rotation? Would it be a good idea to hang it or store it in a paper bag? Should it be cleaned, cleaned and rewaxed or stored as is and clean/rewax just before putting it back on the bike? Reason for asking is that I messed up really bad with my last chain and stored it in a plastic bag which made it rust.
If you let the chain cool off properly and did everything right during prep and waxing this should not have happened and you probably messed up during the aforementioned steps.
I keep it in plastic bags.

Prippo

by Prippo

Eterna7m wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:33 am
Prippo wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 4:56 am
If you let the chain cool off properly and did everything right during prep and waxing this should not have happened and you probably messed up during the aforementioned steps.
I keep it in plastic bags.
I see that I was a bit unclear. The chain that rusted had been used and I took it off to change the crankset and didn't bother putting it back on since winter was approaching.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have definitely gotten surface rust on various freshly waxed chains while storing them in open air inside a garage. It is quite humid here though, especially in the winter.

voicycle

by voicycle

Prippo wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:00 am

I see that I was a bit unclear. The chain that rusted had been used and I took it off to change the crankset and didn't bother putting it back on since winter was approaching.
Guessing there was already salt on the roads? Or at the very least a bit of water? That will do it!

A freshly waxed chain which has fully cooled in a dry indoor environment should be plenty dry to put into a (dry) plastic bag and be perfectly fine for months. As Tobin points out though, the right (wrong) environment can start to corrode even an unused wax chain. Three drops of water and a couple grains of table salt might be enough in a plastic bag.

ZFC Adam suggests after a wet ride you should wipe down the chain, then remove and wrap it up in a microfiber cloth and store it somewhere indoors until you're ready to deal with it again.

C36

by C36

When drying my chains use to be hard. Yesterday I waxed 4 chains, all prepared the same way (this time did full clean up: boiling, 3 white spirit bath, 1 alcool bath that stayed crystal clear).
2 chains are “hard”, 2 chains are relatively free to articulate (you feel some resistance but no link is stiff).

First time it happen, is it a sign chain may not be as cleaned as expected and the wax may have a poorer bond to the chain? Any other reason?

TLN

by TLN

I've cleaned one of the cassettes that I have with UFO to use with waxed chain and left not-mouned. Few days later I've noticed some rust marks that I'm trying to get rid of with vinegar.
What would be the right procedure to store/keep clean cassette/chain so I avoid rust marks and don't have to add any lubrication.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

TLN wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 5:53 pm
I've cleaned one of the cassettes that I have with UFO to use with waxed chain and left not-mouned. Few days later I've noticed some rust marks that I'm trying to get rid of with vinegar.
What would be the right procedure to store/keep clean cassette/chain so I avoid rust marks and don't have to add any lubrication.
Get some large dessicant packs and put them in with the chains in a sealed container. Look for the kind that you can 'recharge' by heating them in the microwave.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

Erlandal wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:55 pm
I've had my first ride with a Rex waxed chain today, it did felt great, no different than with Silca Synergetic which I used before. It is slightly noisier for sure depending on where the chain sits on the chainring and cassette, but nothing worrying.
I'll try and report later after I've had time to rewax and use it proper.
I'm running it on a 105 chain, aiming for 20-25 000+ km; I'll also be using it on a 10s Deore on my ebike, and I don't know yet what'll be my rewax cycle for this one.
What's your impression of the rex wax? The promise of longer intervals before needing to re-wax is very tempting.

Erlandal

by Erlandal

whataboutEee wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 11:48 pm
Erlandal wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:55 pm
I've had my first ride with a Rex waxed chain today, it did felt great, no different than with Silca Synergetic which I used before. It is slightly noisier for sure depending on where the chain sits on the chainring and cassette, but nothing worrying.
I'll try and report later after I've had time to rewax and use it proper.
I'm running it on a 105 chain, aiming for 20-25 000+ km; I'll also be using it on a 10s Deore on my ebike, and I don't know yet what'll be my rewax cycle for this one.
What's your impression of the rex wax? The promise of longer intervals before needing to re-wax is very tempting.
It's been great so far, but I have to admit I do rewax every 250-300km as advised by Adam from ZFC, as I'm too scared to try and run my chain untouched for 800+km.

TLN

by TLN

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 7:35 pm
TLN wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 5:53 pm
Get some large dessicant packs and put them in with the chains in a sealed container. Look for the kind that you can 'recharge' by heating them in the microwave.
Got some rust remover, left it there for 10-15 minutes and rinsed it. Seems that it taken care of all the rust.

On the flip side, it looks like my cassette is ruined. Now trying to guess, what I did wrong:
UFO -> Left drying -> Got rust -> Vinegar -> Seems that cassette is destoyed.
I've just cleaned cassette with rust remover and brushed lots of metal flakes with brush.

Cassette is dring under the sun at the moment. I got a bigger cassette coming, but trying to figure out what was my expensive mistake here.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

TidyDinosaur

by TidyDinosaur

I once put a cassette and chain in the dishwasher... They never were the same since then...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xabi

by Xabi

Do you think that the new ceramic speed winter wax will make life easier for us in winter season?

400km in dry weather is enough for me, 3-4 chains a month, in winter I rewax every wet ride, or two if I top up, which is not very convenient.