My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Erlandal

by Erlandal

I've had my first ride with a Rex waxed chain today, it did felt great, no different than with Silca Synergetic which I used before. It is slightly noisier for sure depending on where the chain sits on the chainring and cassette, but nothing worrying.
I'll try and report later after I've had time to rewax and use it proper.
I'm running it on a 105 chain, aiming for 20-25 000+ km; I'll also be using it on a 10s Deore on my ebike, and I don't know yet what'll be my rewax cycle for this one.

MDecius

by MDecius

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:05 pm
tepextate wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:27 pm
I'm looking to get into chain waxing and had a newbie question.

I'd like to use Dura Ace chains and want to do them in batches (3-4 at at a time).

I know Shimano says that you're not supposed to re-use the quick link once you break them.

So how do you guys who use Dura Ace chains re-wax them? Do you just ignore Shimano's instructions?

Thanks for any advice!
I break and reuse Shimano's quick links many, many times before I discard them. They are pretty snug to close and I think you'll know when the time to discard them comes since they will get easier to close.
FWIW, just a quick question, were you re-using the 12-speed quick links? I just re-used one of them for the first time (only 500km on it before I removed the chain to clean in hot water), and it snapped in half on my next ride despite feeling reasonably tight to close up.
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bmrk

by bmrk

MDecius wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:51 am
FWIW, just a quick question, were you re-using the 12-speed quick links? I just re-used one of them for the first time (only 500km on it before I removed the chain to clean in hot water), and it snapped in half on my next ride despite feeling reasonably tight to close up.
When breaking it to remove the chain or when closing it did you noticed anything different?

I have reused shimano 12-speed quick links on two chains i currently have on rotation more times that i can remember, at least 10 to 15 times each and still didn't had any problem.

I am afraid i go too confident that i can keep reusing them.

jesper2913

by jesper2913

Question:

After pouring hot water over the chain a couple times, to get rid of dirt and grime after af wet ride, I noticed that there's still some wax left on the chain. When drying it with a heat gun, to get rid of the water, I noticed that the leftover wax is melting and evaporating into blue smoke leaving the workshop all smoky.

Is it possible to apply too much heat to the chain when drying it?

Is it bad for the chain to dry it that way?

voicycle

by voicycle

jesper2913 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:03 am
Question:

After pouring hot water over the chain a couple times, to get rid of dirt and grime after af wet ride, I noticed that there's still some wax left on the chain. When drying it with a heat gun, to get rid of the water, I noticed that the leftover wax is melting and evaporating into blue smoke leaving the workshop all smoky.

That sounds too hot to me! Maybe step down from a heat gun to a blowdryer? Or, since there's wax on the chain I find that there's very little risk of corrosion. I usually just hang it up to dry somewhere warm.

Also I wouldn't put a wet chain back in my wax bath, but I assume if there's still a few drops lingering then they'll evaporate before my wax melts, so even if I'm not certain my chain is dry I'll sometimes put it on the cold wax and switch the slow cooker on.

JaeOne3345

by JaeOne3345

jesper2913 wrote:
Question:

Just let the chain air dry. I haven't experienced rusting with shimano chains.

This process is simple. Keep it simple.

MDecius

by MDecius

bmrk wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:35 am
MDecius wrote:
When breaking it to remove the chain or when closing it did you noticed anything different?

I have reused shimano 12-speed quick links on two chains i currently have on rotation more times that i can remember, at least 10 to 15 times each and still didn't had any problem.

I noticed the force required to close it was a bit less, maybe 70-80% of the original? But didn't think there'd be any issue based on what I read on this thread.

It's hard for me to imagine using such a friction-fit part 15 times. But I guess I can't complain too much here in the sense that the Shimano manual is really clear that these links are intended for single use only. It's just a bit disappointing to think about spending roughly 5.- every time I want to break a chain.

Next time I remove the chain I will try to re-use again, but on a different bike perhaps so my best road rides have less chance to get spoiled.

TBH I'd be happier if I could find 12-speed chain pins to actually join the chain completely as I learned to do back in the day.
Last edited by MDecius on Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDecius

by MDecius

jazgill

by jazgill

MDecius wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:38 am
bmrk wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:35 am
MDecius wrote:

I noticed the force required to close it was a bit less, maybe 70-80% of the original? But didn't think there'd be any issue based on what I read on this thread.

It's hard for me to imagine using such a friction-fit part 15 times. But I guess I can't complain too much here in the sense that the Shimano manual is really clear that these links are intended for single use only. It's just a bit disappointing to think about spending roughly 5.- every time I want to break a chain.

Next time I remove the chain I will try to re-use again, but on a different bike perhaps so my best road rides have less chance to get spoiled.

TBH I'd be happier if I could find 12-speed chain pins to actually join the chain completely as I learned to do back in the day.
I bought some Wippermann Connex quick links which are reusable.

DaveS

by DaveS

Back in the day, chains had protruding pins and thicker outer plates that made reinstalling a partially removed pin practical. That's been a very long time ago.

I've had no problems reusing AXS links and other brands. YBN has a 12 speed link that's advertised as reusable 5 times. I have one on an AXS chain, but it's got a lot more side clearance than an AXS link.

Finding a Wipperman 12 link in the USA is difficult and expensive.

MikeD

by MikeD

jesper2913 wrote:
Question:

How about putting the chain into a small pot of boiling water? That should remove all the wax. Also, your heat gun should have a temperature setting. You probably shouldn't put it on high, if that's what you did.

MikeD

by MikeD

How do you know when the chain needs to be rewaxed? I rode the other day and heard the chain when I was in low gear (middle ring, large cog). Sounded like squeaking. At home after in the repair stand, I heard no squeaking (quiet chain). First I've observed different behavior when pedaling under load or not, but I'm new to hot wax. I swapped out the chain to a freshly waxed one anyway.

Lina

by Lina

When it starts making noise is a good time to rewax.

Erlandal

by Erlandal

Lina wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 4:52 pm
When it starts making noise is a good time to rewax.
Better to go by distance. My immersed waxed chain basically makes noise after 20km of riding. Adam from ZFC has said that noise isn't that great an indicator on whether you should rewax, unless it makes a really obvious squeaking sound.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

I think the squeak was my saddle. Just switched to a leather one I hadn't used in a long while, and I forgot it squeaks on occasion.