My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nereth

by Nereth

C36 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:13 am
As for Silca they had at least 3 revisions of the formula (from Josh if I am correct) and seems they don’t all behave the same.
I have no issues putting a drop per link on the entire distance between rings and cassette before « massaging » the rollers and nothing dropped on the floor by the time I am done…
One thing I do is shaking tue bottle very very well (takes several minutes) to ensure all the thicker additives are totally loose and well mixed. could that make the wax thicker then staying more on the chain?
Oh! Yep, I also make sure to shake well. That could be a difference. I don't shake that long but might try it out in future.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

I'm a bit pedantic and go through link per link, one drop on each. I admit it takes time.. I shake well and also, finding the right nozzle opening is key! Too large opening and the drop is too big/heavy and risk dripping off.

MikeD

by MikeD

jayjay wrote:I tried the Silca Secret Chain Lube but it is so super fluid that a lot of that stuff just drips from the rollers direct on to the ground.
This has never happened with UFO Drip or Squirt before, so I will go back to UFO Drip.

Since I need to buy new UFO Drip, should I get the "All Conditions" or "Wet Conditions"?
Which is longer lasting in dry conditions?
It needs to be thin to penetrate the chain. That's the problem with most drip wax lubes, they don't penetrate enough to lubricate properly. See the Zero Friction Cycling website.

ArtV

by ArtV

Tru-Tension BananaSlip Tungsten All Weather Lube works well. I rub it into the rollers like the instructions say for Silca Secret Chain Lube to make sure it penetrates.

Lunn

by Lunn

Purchased the new Silca system with StripChips and everything else.

This doesn't get any easier. Anybody could do this in their sleep, I've never felt the chain be better than it is now (I purchased a brand new chain for the best possible test). Everything seems like it has been thought of, the only minus I'd give Josh and Silca is it didn't come come with a way to hang the "hanger" while waiting the 10 minutes. Everything else? Perfect.

I can safely say anybody who isn't using this system is clearly sleeping on Silca and/or is just not interested in maximising their performance on their bike.

Bravo Josh and Silca!

MagicShite

by MagicShite

MikeD wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:00 pm
jayjay wrote:I tried the Silca Secret Chain Lube but it is so super fluid that a lot of that stuff just drips from the rollers direct on to the ground.
This has never happened with UFO Drip or Squirt before, so I will go back to UFO Drip.

Since I need to buy new UFO Drip, should I get the "All Conditions" or "Wet Conditions"?
Which is longer lasting in dry conditions?
It needs to be thin to penetrate the chain. That's the problem with most drip wax lubes, they don't penetrate enough to lubricate properly. See the Zero Friction Cycling website.
not exactly true, although Silca's formula is definitely the most impressive.

UFO V2 (not the new one which sucks IMO) is definitely significantly less runny than Silca.

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

Lunn wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:45 pm

I can safely say anybody who isn't using this system is clearly sleeping on Silca and/or is just not interested in maximising their performance on their bike.
Or... they are careful about where they spend money, and can get identical performance but are happy to do slightly more manual prep using unbranded hardware, for a fraction of the cost.

SunsetRider

by SunsetRider

gloscherrybomb wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:12 pm
Or... they are careful about where they spend money, and can get identical performance but are happy to do slightly more manual prep using unbranded hardware, for a fraction of the cost.
This. Or are already invested in the system they are using (in my case is the lowest overall cost according to ZFC) which is pretty much on par with Silca. For me prep is a total non-issue. I have 4 chains in rotation for the road bike and 5 for the MTB which last years and years. And when I do prep chains every few years I don't find the traditional method to be the horror story some make it out to be. I don't plan on throwing out everything I've been using since 2015 and spending hundreds of dollars on the latest and greatest which for my case would result in zero measurable gains.

oddspam

by oddspam

What is Silca mixing into their wax? Could a generic parafin wax do the same trick at a much lower price?

https://www.chemiekontor.de/en/paraffin ... r=5060-1.0

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

oddspam wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:45 pm
What is Silca mixing into their wax? Could a generic parafin wax do the same trick at a much lower price?

I tried plain parafin wax a while back. I used the exact same process as I did with the original formulation MSW I was using at the time and the plain parafin was in no way as good as the MSW. I went back to the MSW very quickly.

EtoDemerzel

by EtoDemerzel

oddspam wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:45 pm

I don't know Silca's formula but it's easy to mix your own. paraffin alone is fine but won't be as good or last as long. it's better to mix w/ teflon and moly disulfide powders
this is a good formula to use- ingredients are cheap
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/friction ... be-formula

SunsetRider

by SunsetRider

I've never used Silca but having used paraffin, old MSW & new MSW I agree with the others that New MSW > Old MSW > paraffin. In the early days I mixed PTFE with paraffin but it got to the point I just didn't want to fool with it anymore especially looking at ZFC results for the new MSW. While MSW has become pricey, it lasts a long time and it the big picture of costs in this sport the wax costs are inconsequential for me compared to everything else I spend money on.

aham23

by aham23

FYI leaving the new SILCA pot on for 24 hours at 95 degrees will not burn down your house..... :)

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

SunsetRider wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:10 pm
I've never used Silca but having used paraffin, old MSW & new MSW I agree with the others that New MSW > Old MSW > paraffin. In the early days I mixed PTFE with paraffin but it got to the point I just didn't want to fool with it anymore especially looking at ZFC results for the new MSW. While MSW has become pricey, it lasts a long time and it the big picture of costs in this sport the wax costs are inconsequential for me compared to everything else I spend money on.
Yeah the results of paraffin wax really surprise me. Let's see how it ends up, if he officially finishes the test.
Glad I checked the review of effetto and saw the information, that it's not really compatible with immersive waxing. As that's what I do. Immersive and then top off.

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Who else here just follows the thread and the industry development, but is still quite happy to simply use a drip-on wax..? According to Josh Poertner this takes one to, was it 96% of where immerse waxing does? That's good enough for me and my use case!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com