My adventures in chain waxing: goals, reviews, suggestions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeD

by MikeD

I can't see how you can burn the wax by heating it in a Crock Pot at the low setting. The temperature can't get near high enough. It's probably just contaminated from too many waxings over time. Time to change it out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The white stuff = bubbles formed from water in the wax. Don’t worry about that bit specifically. The brown tint is probably just contamination from many rewaxings. Overheated wax turns yellow, not brown.

BBres

by BBres

Do you find any differences between the last version of UFO Drip (the black bottle) vs the newest version (the purple/brown-ish bottle)?

MagicShite

by MagicShite

^the V3 is significantly "dirtier".

The V2 was the best IMO.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

I'm having problems with Silca SS drip. Using it on 2 bikes, both running 12sp DA chains and all great to begin with. Got about 250 miles on each before I even thought about re lubing.

Since then, the noise has been really bad, so much so I'm finding I'm re applying much sooner (after about 100 miles) just to quieten the bikes. I know wax is louder but it really doesn't sound good!

Anyone else experience this after the second lubing? I'm thinking maybe I didn't use enough boiling water to clean the links out thoroughly before the next coating, and residue is maybe preventing the 'new' lube getting good coverage.

Chains were fully stripped with Silca chain stripper prior to first applications (x3, as per Josh's YT video).

On that note, are other users doing 3 applications after a hot water clean, or does one suffice from that point?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BianchiDave wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:39 pm
I'm having problems with Silca SS drip. Using it on 2 bikes, both running 12sp DA chains and all great to begin with. Got about 250 miles on each before I even thought about re lubing.

Since then, the noise has been really bad, so much so I'm finding I'm re applying much sooner (after about 100 miles) just to quieten the bikes. I know wax is louder but it really doesn't sound good!

Anyone else experience this after the second lubing? I'm thinking maybe I didn't use enough boiling water to clean the links out thoroughly before the next coating, and residue is maybe preventing the 'new' lube getting good coverage.

Chains were fully stripped with Silca chain stripper prior to first applications (x3, as per Josh's YT video).

On that note, are other users doing 3 applications after a hot water clean, or does one suffice from that point?

- Silca advises 150-200mi for Super Secret and I agree with that distance estimate.
- You don’t need to use boiling water to clean the chains, I just use a dry rag.
- Perhaps the initial quiet running was due to the Sil-tec PTFE coating, which has been roughed up since.
- Wax is loud, get used to it.

Sub2

by Sub2

Without having the Silca crock pot thingy, how is it best to strip a new chain of grease prior to applying wax.
Does a diesel or petrol soak and scrub / agitate do it ?

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

Sub2 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:33 pm
Without having the Silca crock pot thingy, how is it best to strip a new chain of grease prior to applying wax.
Silca Chain Stripper is probably the most convenient

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Sub2 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:33 pm
The traditional way is repeated soaks in mineral spirits until all the grease is gone followed by a swish in denatured alcohol.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:58 pm
- Silca advises 150-200mi for Super Secret and I agree with that distance estimate.
- You don’t need to use boiling water to clean the chains, I just use a dry rag.
- Perhaps the initial quiet running was due to the Sil-tec PTFE coating, which has been roughed up since.
- Wax is loud, get used to it.
yeah, I see the Silca website also advises 2 drops per link, so thats maybe where I'm going wrong - just a bit too sparing with it.

I know wax is loud, but its ridiculous, like something is wrong with the bike. There isn't, no issues with chain routing and the gears are perfectly set up, straight mech hanger etc.

Finger crossed it just needs more lube

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

@BianchiDave - An immersive hot wax is going to give you a much better result in terms of lubrication and noise reduction, and it's a simple process. Use the drip-on Super Secret as a supplement to extend time / miles between immersive waxing.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

GONE4ARIDE wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:50 pm
@BianchiDave - An immersive hot wax is going to give you a much better result in terms of lubrication and noise reduction, and it's a simple process. Use the drip-on Super Secret as a supplement to extend time / miles between immersive waxing.
yes, something to consider. I was always put off waxing due to the faff of stripping chains but the Silca CS is so quick and easy, although perhaps not the most cost effective. The price of convenience I guess!

I've just cleaned the chains on both bikes and applied 2 drops per link, so we'll see how it goes from here....

jajr1999

by jajr1999

GONE4ARIDE wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:50 pm
I've been using Immersive Waxing for a while now and it really has a lot of benefits, but I think noise reduction isn't one of them. It only occurs in X combinations of chains, cassettes, chainrings, etc...

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

I'm used to, and don't mind a bit of noise. I've used Squirt for a number of years but switched to Silca as theres nothing like the same gunk build up in cassette and jockeys

6fu

by 6fu

BianchiDave wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:39 pm

After every ride longer than 100km (or two shorter ones) I wipe the chain and pulley wheels with dry rag and reapply silca ss (backpedalling for two revolutions). Remains fairly quiet. Other than that I don't clean the chain - when I wash the bike I wash the chain as well and apply lube after. The only hardcore cleaning I do is when the chain is new to get rid of the factory grease.

Maybe I reapply too often but the bottle still lasts a long time and it feels good to ride without excessive noise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com