2021 BMC Teammachine

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

survivor

by survivor

For all the new Teammachine owner here, some reviews mentioned Teammachine lacks the last bit of aerodynamic performance on the flat, or in other words doesn't feel as fast as some of the all rounder bike like SL7 on the flat. Do you feel that way? I might be pulling the trigger on the new Teammachine soon so just want to get some feedback from the owners here. My local area is relatively flat so I preferred a bike that moves fast on the flat. As a reference I owned a Pinarello Dogma F8 and Wilier Filante SLR (which is sitting duck waiting for warranty replacement), and currently thinking of getting either the SL7, OSTRO or Teammachine while waiting for the Wilier Filante SLR warranty replacement.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

survivor

by survivor

dkvbiker wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:01 pm
maybe this review helps?
https://granfondo-cycling.com/bmc-teamm ... up-review/
Well it is granfondo reviews on the Teammachine that is quite confusing. They have one review below where they reviewed the Teammachine only and that is what they said about Teammachine which lacks the last bit of aerodynamic performance. But on the group review later on with other bikes, they said Teammachine is quick on the flat. Totally contradicting each other.

https://granfondo-cycling.com/bmc-teamm ... 21-review/

Cubist

by Cubist

survivor wrote:For all the new Teammachine owner here, some reviews mentioned Teammachine lacks the last bit of aerodynamic performance on the flat, or in other words doesn't feel as fast as some of the all rounder bike like SL7 on the flat. Do you feel that way? I might be pulling the trigger on the new Teammachine soon so just want to get some feedback from the owners here. My local area is relatively flat so I preferred a bike that moves fast on the flat. As a reference I owned a Pinarello Dogma F8 and Wilier Filante SLR (which is sitting duck waiting for warranty replacement), and currently thinking of getting either the SL7, OSTRO or Teammachine while waiting for the Wilier Filante SLR warranty replacement.
How did you experience the ride feel of the Filante before you discovered the frame problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

survivor

by survivor

Cubist wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:52 pm
How did you experience the ride feel of the Filante before you discovered the frame problem?
On the short time that I'm on the Filante (3 rides, 60 miles total), I like it. The only comparison I have is with Pinarello Dogma F8. Having said that, there are a lot of things changed with the Filante as well, for example wider tire 28mm on Filante vs 25mm on F8 and different wheels. Filante feel as fast as the F8 but much more comfortable. I cannot quantify how much of that is due to wider tire or the wheel or the Filante.

ODC

by ODC

survivor wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:19 pm
For all the new Teammachine owner here, some reviews mentioned Teammachine lacks the last bit of aerodynamic performance on the flat, or in other words doesn't feel as fast as some of the all rounder bike like SL7 on the flat. Do you feel that way? I might be pulling the trigger on the new Teammachine soon so just want to get some feedback from the owners here. My local area is relatively flat so I preferred a bike that moves fast on the flat. As a reference I owned a Pinarello Dogma F8 and Wilier Filante SLR (which is sitting duck waiting for warranty replacement), and currently thinking of getting either the SL7, OSTRO or Teammachine while waiting for the Wilier Filante SLR warranty replacement.
I have the new SLR01 (see a couple pages back) and I can say that a good wheel set makes a lot of difference.
I have the Bora ultra WTO45 wheel set because I live in Flanders (hills, cobbles, a lot of wind...) but I tried a set of Bora WTO60 and I feel the difference on flat roads when riding on higher speeds.
Like I said couple of pages back I owned a SL7 and there isn't a huge difference between the bikes. I would say take the bike you like most and fits you the best.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

If they did not quantify at what speeds the bicycle seemed to be holding back...then it is subjective...and as pointed out, it could be down to wheel/tire choice or rider's position

survivor

by survivor

rudye9mr wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:27 am
If they did not quantify at what speeds the bicycle seemed to be holding back...then it is subjective...and as pointed out, it could be down to wheel/tire choice or rider's position
That is a good point. From the reviews that stated the Teammachine lacks the last bit of aerodynamic performance is all on low profile wheel, which could explain the feeling of lacks of speed on flat.

survivor

by survivor

ODC wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:53 am
I have the new SLR01 (see a couple pages back) and I can say that a good wheel set makes a lot of difference.
I have the Bora ultra WTO45 wheel set because I live in Flanders (hills, cobbles, a lot of wind...) but I tried a set of Bora WTO60 and I feel the difference on flat roads when riding on higher speeds.
Like I said couple of pages back I owned a SL7 and there isn't a huge difference between the bikes. I would say take the bike you like most and fits you the best.
Thanks for the feedback. It is certainly great to hear feedback from owner who have rode SL7 and Teammachine. I'm currently narrowed down between SL7 and Teammachine. SL7 has the color that I wanted, Teammachine is stealth black, which ain't bad either. Teammachine is $800 cheaper considering the module already came with one piece cockpit and bottle cages while I still need to purchase the handlebar for SL7.

survivor

by survivor

Any BMC Teammachine SLR01 owner here has the Arctic Silver Prisma color? In between this color and the stealth black.

benstade

by benstade

Hinloopen wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:11 am
superyeho wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:59 pm
Hinloopen wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:39 am
Hi all, I'm the guy who did the industrial design and the 3D modeling for the 2021 Teammachine SLR01 and SLR. I'm a long time lurker, and I thought I'd weigh in on the latest few comments, so that there is no misunderstanding. The reason the rear tire clearance on sizes 58 and 61 is much more than on the smaller sizes, is because the seat stays are angled further up: their attachment point to the seat tube is higher. A circular tire, a linear seat tube which as a result moves away from said tire, and a higher attachment point mean that the seat stays are effectively longer than on the sizes 47-51 and 54-56, and thus farther apart when they pass the tire. So please don't assume just because you see a 10mm gap between tire and seat stay on a 58 or 61 frame, that you can go wider with the wheels or larger with the tires on any other frame size, or even on the fork. Hope you guys are all enjoying the bikes!
Does it mean that the 51 won´t be able to accommodate 30mm as stated? I have the 2019 model and can barely fit gp4 season 28 tires (specially on the rear, they fit but are very tight)
that model was specced to 28mm max
For me , having the option to go with a 28 tire (blows up to 30 or so , no?) would be very helpful
Anyone here with a 51cm frame (2021) can confirm?
thanks
Hi, sorry for the late reply. Every frame size will accomodate 30mm tires. If you look closely at the 51 and 47... Like, really closely... You can see a very subtle bend in the seat stays around the widest point of the tire. It's nearly invisible. It wouldn't be acceptable to compromise this on the smaller frames.
Hi Hinloopen, thanks for the advice on tire clearance, great to hear it from someone who actually designed this great frame. I own a 2019 SLR01 and will upgrade to 28 as well, maybe even try out 30. Any suggestions on tires for a nice tubeless setup? Best Ben

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Hey guys,
Bike24 is offering this SLR frameset and i kind of like it. It says ICS cockpit in the description, though complete bikes with this frame have cables not fully integrated. Is it possible to build this up with full integration?
Can you use different stems and still run cables into headtube or is there no spacer for this coming with the bikes?

https://www.bike24.de/p1521639.html

slake21

by slake21

eins4eins wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:47 am
Hey guys,
Bike24 is offering this SLR frameset and i kind of like it. It says ICS cockpit in the description, though complete bikes with this frame have cables not fully integrated. Is it possible to build this up with full integration?
Can you use different stems and still run cables into headtube or is there no spacer for this coming with the bikes?

https://www.bike24.de/p1521639.html
You would need an SLR01 fork to internally route the cables.
The SLRs (without 01) have regular round steerers.

Blc520

by Blc520

Hi guys, just picked up my new 2022 Teammachine .. it's come with the larger top cone but I want to change it to the smaller one, can someone confirm if I'm going to have to disconnect the brake hoses and re do the bar tape to do this? Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

slake21

by slake21

Blc520 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:16 pm
Hi guys, just picked up my new 2022 Teammachine .. it's come with the larger top cone but I want to change it to the smaller one, can someone confirm if I'm going to have to disconnect the brake hoses and re do the bar tape to do this? Thanks
There's no other way sadly