2021 BMC Teammachine

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tunaseng

by tunaseng

tyro13 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:27 am
Hi guys,
My computer mount from my ics cockpit broke off yesterday are there alternatives that are stronger than the original?
My handlebar is the one piece cockpit from a slr01.

Greetings from Belgium
You broke the aluminium computer mount? How did that happened?

LordPikaChu

by LordPikaChu

Hey everyone! I'm considering BMC Teammachine with ICS cockpit as my next bike and I'm trying to work out the frame sizing. But in order to do that I'd need to know some dimensions of the ICS cockpit, which unfortunately are not listed anywhere on the BMC website. And I don't want to end up with 50mm of spacers under the stem or handlebars too wide.

1. What's the effective stack of the ICS stem? The stem angle is listed as -12, that's fine. But it looks to me that BMC has opted for a stem that's mounted higher and is more inclined. Please refer to the pic below - I'm looking for the length that's painted in green, so from bottom of the stem (center) to handlebars center.

2. How is the handlebars width measured? Center to center or oustside? I'm usually riding 400mm center to center. BMC only offers the 400mm option in 90mm stem length :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaRene

by PinaRene

LordPikaChu wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:41 pm
Hey everyone! I'm considering BMC Teammachine with ICS cockpit as my next bike and I'm trying to work out the frame sizing. But in order to do that I'd need to know some dimensions of the ICS cockpit, which unfortunately are not listed anywhere on the BMC website. And I don't want to end up with 50mm of spacers under the stem or handlebars too wide.

1. What's the effective stack of the ICS stem? The stem angle is listed as -12, that's fine. But it looks to me that BMC has opted for a stem that's mounted higher and is more inclined. Please refer to the pic below - I'm looking for the length that's painted in green, so from bottom of the stem (center) to handlebars center.

2. How is the handlebars width measured? Center to center or oustside? I'm usually riding 400mm center to center. BMC only offers the 400mm option in 90mm stem length :(
The handlebars is meassured center - center. I have a 40cm ICS Cockpit and that is 36cm on the hoods ( slightly inwards ). BMC also offers longer stems for smaller widths - and I ordered mine at Bike24 in Germany. It is called the team edition and on stock in 110 to 140mm, at least the red one. They also have the white /b lack one and completely black one like I have. The stack I have to meassure , but I will do that for you.

https://www.bike24.com/p2487579.html?so ... ku=1662735

card0s

by card0s

PinaRene wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:32 pm
BMC also offers longer stems for smaller widths - and I ordered mine at Bike24 in Germany. It is called the team edition and on stock in 110 to 140mm, at least the red one.
Also, if buying new, BMC can replace the handlebar/stem for the size you want.
I bought my frameset, new, via an online store and they sent the handlebar/stem back to BMC and got a replacement with the size I requested.

Jz91

by Jz91

hi guys,

I'm on an endless quest for a new bike...so I was wondering whether it might make sense to get this bike in early '23 halfway through its life cycle.

Considering it was presented in summer 2020, I'm having some doubts.

RDY

by RDY

Using the ICS system on the standard SLR (not SLR01) frame, I assume one can fully internally route all cables (including front caliper hose) through the stem / spacers / headset? Or does the front caliper hose have to stay external?

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

RDY wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:20 pm
Using the ICS system on the standard SLR (not SLR01) frame, I assume one can fully internally route all cables (including front caliper hose) through the stem / spacers / headset? Or does the front caliper hose have to stay external?
You need the SLR01 fork too because the cables are routed on the sides of the D-shaped steerer

RDY

by RDY

StiffWeenies wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:39 pm
RDY wrote:
You need the SLR01 fork too because the cables are routed on the sides of the D-shaped steerer
Thanks.

That's not something they publicise when claiming that the normal SLR is compatible with the ICS system :roll:

That's the end of that idea. I'd like to use the ICS MTT stem, since roads are so shitty, and I'm not sure how well a 3D printed ICS to ACR or DCR spacer would work on other bikes - and one doesn't yet exist, so I'd need to produce it.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

RDY wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:58 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
RDY wrote:
Thanks.

That's not something they publicise when claiming that the normal SLR is compatible with the ICS system :roll:

That's the end of that idea. I'd like to use the ICS MTT stem, since roads are so shitty, and I'm not sure how well a 3D printed ICS to ACR or DCR spacer would work on other bikes - and one doesn't yet exist, so I'd need to produce it.
The Red rear brake on mine feels perpetually spongy despite one rehosing and countless rebleedings. You also can't run the bars as slammed as setups where the cables are routed in front of the steerer. It's honestly not a good cable routing system which is understandable because it dates back to the very first fully integrated disc bike ever launched.

I think the FSA ACR spacer should be fine, coming from a big company it better be dependable. I believe you'd still need the SLR01 fork for that application though.

RDY

by RDY

StiffWeenies wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:24 pm
RDY wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:58 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
RDY wrote:
Thanks.

The Red rear brake on mine feels perpetually spongy despite one rehosing and countless rebleedings. You also can't run the bars as slammed as setups where the cables are routed in front of the steerer. It's honestly not a good cable routing system which is understandable because it dates back to the very first fully integrated disc bike ever launched.

I think the FSA ACR spacer should be fine, coming from a big company it better be dependable. I believe you'd still need the SLR01 fork for that application though.
a) I'm not sure about its impact on brake hose functionality with routing.

b) Forks are difficult to get hold of and make the whole enterprise a lot more expensive. And the cost of the SLR01 framesets are ludicrous IMO. So I meant using the ICS MTT stem with any other frame using the IS52 / IS52 standard and an ACR or DCR headset and top cover / spacers - I.E. I'd need to get an ICS (stem side) to ACR / DCR (headset side) adapter made. Tbh I'm surprised they don't exist already.

RDY

by RDY

@StiffWeenies - I meant to ask, is the latest TeamMachine SLR01 still using the ******* up bolt threaded into foam in the steerer thing? Or did that change after the fork failures and recall?

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

RDY wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:20 pm
@StiffWeenies - I meant to ask, is the latest TeamMachine SLR01 still using the ******* up bolt threaded into foam in the steerer thing? Or did that change after the fork failures and recall?
Mine had it

RDY

by RDY

StiffWeenies wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:22 am
RDY wrote:
Mine had it
I looked at the MY21 manual (assume no change for '22 / '23). Oof ... that thing looks so dangerous. I dunno how they got away with sticking to that after the recall, and not using a bonded insert. Crazy. What's your view on it?

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

RDY wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:13 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
RDY wrote:
Mine had it
I looked at the MY21 manual (assume no change for '22 / '23). Oof ... that thing looks so dangerous. I dunno how they got away with sticking to that after the recall, and not using a bonded insert. Crazy. What's your view on it?
I bought it back when I knew a lot less about how bikes worked. Thankfully I handed off assembly to the LBS mechanic instead of attempting to do it myself. One overtorque and the foam will break off.

RDY

by RDY

StiffWeenies wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:02 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:13 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
RDY wrote:
Mine had it
I bought it back when I knew a lot less about how bikes worked. Thankfully I handed off assembly to the LBS mechanic instead of attempting to do it myself. One overtorque and the foam will break off.
Or presumably any significant compression or decompression of the front end ... it's frankly unbelievable that they 1) thought it would be a good idea and then put it into production and 2) have been able to get away with it without the cycling community and media screaming bloody murder ... and that's AFTER a recall which had a high probability of mortal consequences during failure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com