chinese frame + part EXPERIENCE SO FAR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

enrics87

by enrics87

none wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:55 pm
I have not been racing on road bikes for over 15 years.
I don't ride competitively on my local group rides with hilltop challenges or lampost sprints.
I do enjoy a nice steady paceline cruising for miles at 25+ mph..
I have built three Chinese carbon frame bikes since SEP 2017. All of them are cheap, under $400 (with discount/rebate).
I kept two of three since the first frame was the wrong size sent to me, I received full refund and got to keep the frame.
I sold the built bike (7.52kg) to a neighbor that I ride with regularly, he's put over 4k miles on it and I don't hear any complaints from him.

The second frame is more aero, I just liked the look of the frame and wanted to try it out.
This is time I got the correct frame size, and it went together with steep learnign curve of internal cable routing, trial & error in cable housing lengths. (8.25kg)

The third frame is a replacement frame sent to me by the seller of the first frame, this time in the correct size.
Since I really wanted to try a Cervelo S5 replica from China: (7.54kg)

For my typical riding, they serve the purpose well.
I've put about 2k combined miles on the two that I've kept since 2018.
Besides the initial setup of the bikes, they operate pretty well for day-to-day usage.
The seatpost tend to slip until you figure out a way to secure it.
The front derailler mount seems to be slip out of position in the first few miles.
Typical teething problems with newly builts.
I'm happy with my purchases of Chinese carbon frames and likely will do it again when I wear out one of them.

thank you for your feedbakc, i'm new on the field, you "recomended" about chinese frame.
my problem is about how to build it up, avoid stupid expensies for my "ignorance"
and try to compromise maybe good quality group set and frames and wheels from china.

none

by none

You need to have proper tools and knowledge to put together a bike from frame.

These frames come with zero instructions, many proprietary parts that cannot easily replace if you damage them.
Seatpost, seatpost wedge, cable covers, derailleur hanger, small bolts & hardwares, all seem to be difficult to order with manufactuer when you need replacement.

Luckily, after working in different bike shops for over two decades, I have enough collection of random parts, bolts and ideas that I can fix problems along the way of completing the builds.

Chinese carbon wheels are great, I've been riding on a set for over 4 years, 5k miles, zero problems, zero trueing; only the hub seal started to make noise this year.
Spray some lube and all is quiet. Brake tracks still look decent, no pitting. Consider they were $275 (free shipping) investment 4 years ago, I think they are very good value.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

The other option is to buy a used frame or bike from someone or off of eBay. You can get decent value from that as well.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

none

by none

I don't think I would trust a used Chinese carbon frame, simply because I don't know.who built it into a complete bike and how much abuse it has been through.

fastezzie

by fastezzie

I'd opt for a newish used bike over a Chinese carbon frame. If I were to buy one, look for something with "normal" parts
- Round seatpost & normal seatcollar
- BSA threaded bb
- Normal cable routing
Small details like that can make or break a bike.

none

by none

Round seatpost & normal seat collar, BSA threaded bb shell, normal cable stops on frame don't exactly provide overall frame structural advantage, perforamnce advantage nor weight advantage.

Universally, to take full advantage of using carbon fiber as frame material, manufactuers want to maximize aerodynamics & use minimal bonding, especially bonding between different materials like carbon fiber & aluminum for bb or seatpost insert.

Aeo

by Aeo

Do you want a light bike or an aero bike?

There definitely is value in Chinese bike parts. $1000 wheelset will be lighter than many $2500-3000 wheelsets by companies from the west.

You can also buy a complete bike, for example this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001033943838.html
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

enrics87

by enrics87

none wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:27 pm
You need to have proper tools and knowledge to put together a bike from frame.

These frames come with zero instructions, many proprietary parts that cannot easily replace if you damage them.
Seatpost, seatpost wedge, cable covers, derailleur hanger, small bolts & hardwares, all seem to be difficult to order with manufactuer when you need replacement.

Luckily, after working in different bike shops for over two decades, I have enough collection of random parts, bolts and ideas that I can fix problems along the way of completing the builds.

Chinese carbon wheels are great, I've been riding on a set for over 4 years, 5k miles, zero problems, zero trueing; only the hub seal started to make noise this year.
Spray some lube and all is quiet. Brake tracks still look decent, no pitting. Consider they were $275 (free shipping) investment 4 years ago, I think they are very good value.
thank you for your message, make sense, i have to find a person that knows how to build a bike with my "request" in term of body wheight and how many km i will intend to do,
the problem is that this field is still quite unesplore or many peopel don't want to say that they bought a chinese frame,
on the wheels from light carbon i had good review around,
can i ask you an opinion regards group set?
i saw that many people know dislike groupset of 10 speed like campagnolo, and as marketprice 10 speed now is an ok price to invest,
much difference from 10-11 speed? 11-12 speed my be helpful for mountains road, correct?
i'm an amateur so the miles per year are not going to be that many..
you don't suggest me to try this fram in case from LIGHT CARBON with a good groupset in case i will found someone help me to build it the bike?
thank you.

enrics87

by enrics87

Aeo wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:18 pm
Do you want a light bike or an aero bike?

There definitely is value in Chinese bike parts. $1000 wheelset will be lighter than many $2500-3000 wheelsets by companies from the west.

You can also buy a complete bike, for example this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001033943838.html
endurance bike, i was thinking full carbo.

none

by none

enrics87 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:43 am
the problem is that this field is still quite unesplore or many peopel don't want to say that they bought a chinese frame,
on the wheels from light carbon i had good review around,
can i ask you an opinion regards group set?
i saw that many people know dislike groupset of 10 speed like campagnolo, and as marketprice 10 speed now is an ok price to invest,
much difference from 10-11 speed? 11-12 speed my be helpful for mountains road, correct?
i'm an amateur so the miles per year are not going to be that many..
you don't suggest me to try this fram in case from LIGHT CARBON with a good groupset in case i will found someone help me to build it the bike?
thank you.
Personally, I don't need the highest performance groupset, Ultegra, 105 something tried & true works just fine, likely have better replacement parts availability.
I find 11-speed equipment really sensitive when it comes to wear, shifting goes out of adjustment as the chain/sprocket start to wear out or cable start to stretch.
10-speed equipment tend to be more forgiving when it comes to tolerence in shifting.
Every person have their preference on groupset & equipment, I still prefer the old SRAM Rival 10-speed group since I have a few of them in my basement.

I would suggest just start working on your own bike for now, practice the basics, change the cables, derailleur yourself for a few times, learn how to properly adjust your headset, BB, crankset, etc..
Having the right tools for the job is important, but the tools can be used over and over like the knowledge you gain along the way.
Everyone makes mistakes along the way, might as well make cheap mistakes on cheap bikes.
Make friends with your local bike shop people, bring them snacks, cookies, drinks.. just don't let them drink alchohol while working on your bike.
Drunk mechanic doesn't yeild good results.

ms6073

by ms6073

none wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:47 am
I don't think I would trust a used Chinese carbon frame, simply because I don't know.who built it into a complete bike and how much abuse it has been through.
Then might I suggest that you probably should never buy anything new or used, anywhere, ever again, as in most cases you simply don't know where it came from or who made it! :smartass:

I have a lightly used chinese open mold CX/Gravel bike (IP-105-D) built up with DA 9070 derailleurs, ST-RS785 hydro shiftes and calipers, Enve M60 wheels with brand new Schwalbe G-One gravel tire. KCNC valvess, FSA carbon bars and stem, 3T Paladio seat post, and Fabric Scoop saddle I was planning to sell, but guess I should just bin it as nobody is going to want to buy it. :beerchug:

I guess I should note that the image above is from the wholesaler just before the frame was shipped. 8)
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

none

by none

ms6073 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:51 pm

Then might I suggest that you probably should never buy anything new or used, anywhere, ever again, as in most cases you simply don't know where it came from or who made it! :smartass:

I have a lightly used chinese open mold CX/Gravel bike (IP-105-D) built up with DA 9070 derailleurs, ST-RS785 hydro shiftes and calipers, Enve M60 wheels with brand new Schwalbe G-One gravel tire. KCNC valvess, FSA carbon bars and stem, 3T Paladio seat post, and Fabric Scoop saddle I was planning to sell, but guess I should just bin it as nobody is going to want to buy it. :beerchug:
Whatever risk you're willing to take is up to you.

Have you worked at any bike shops?

Have you ever seen some abuse that people do to their bikes?

From my experience of woking in different bike shops for over two decades; I would not trust a USED carbon frame, even when it's made my big name brand manufactuers (TREK, Cannondale, Pinatello, Colnago, etc..)

Call me a snob, but I don't trust most people when it comes to bicycling equipment.. because I have the knowledge and experience.
IME carbon frames are disposable, not repairable, like helmets; that's why most carbon frame manufacturers offer crash replacement instead of repair.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

none wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:15 pm
ms6073 wrote:

Whatever risk you're willing to take is up to you.

Have you worked at any bike shops?

Have you ever seen some abuse that people do to their bikes?

From my experience of woking in different bike shops for over two decades; I would not trust a USED carbon frame, even when it's made my big name brand manufactuers (TREK, Cannondale, Pinatello, Colnago, etc..)

Call me a snob, but I don't trust most people when it comes to bicycling equipment.. because I have the knowledge and experience.
IME carbon frames are disposable, not repairable, like helmets; that's why most carbon frame manufacturers offer crash replacement instead of repair.
You've worked in shops for two decades and you route cables and wrap bars like those indicated in your photos? I don't believe you.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

none

by none

wheelbuilder wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:09 am
You've worked in shops for two decades and you route cables and wrap bars like those indicated in your photos? I don't believe you.

I wrap my own bars on MY BIKES (not customers' bikes) however I like.
BTW, handlebar wrapping has nothing to do with topic of thread.

You don't have to believe anything in my I posts, but have you got any experience to share with Chinese carbon frame builds?
Last edited by none on Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

none wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:22 am
ms6073 wrote:

I wrap my own bars on MY BIKES (not customers' bikes) however I like.
BTW, handlebar wrapping has nothing to do with topic of thread.

You don't have to believe anything in my I posts, but have you got any experience to share with Chinese carbon frame builds?
Sure........ In my experience as a shop mechanic the Chinese "open mold" frames that I have built for frugal customers have suffered from issues like poorly faced caliper mounts, headset bore sloppiness, cable stop problems, etc. Not all, but quite a few.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com