Ultegra & Dura Ace chains barely elongated after ~3500 miles (5600 km)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Historically, I have been replacing chains at ~3000 miles (4800 km). Some have seen more foul-weather and/or races than others. I never checked to bother elongation.
Recently, picked up KMC digital chain checker http://kmcchain.us/extra-products/digital-chain-checker.
I was surprised to see such small elongation after ~3500 miles (5600 km). I read and heard stories from folks reaching >0.8mm elongation threshold at 1800 miles (3000 km)

At this rate, I can run my chains to at least 5000 miles (8000 km)? Yes, I understand that many variables are involved when it comes to >0.8mm elongation threshold.
I have verified the accuracy of elongation by putting KMC digital chain checker on the brand new chain to display 0mm. So, everything is accurate in this department. I think major contribution to such longevity is frequent clean/lubricate with Rock 'n' Roll Gold.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

alanyu

by alanyu

Each chain has its own zero point. There is no piont taking another new chain as a reference. Details can be found in the pdfs of ZFC.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The chain might be even less elongated that indicated. The KMC digital chain checker measures roller inner to inner instead of inner to outer, so it doesn't isolate out roller wear. Also check multiple sections of the chain just in case.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

alanyu wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:37 pm
Each chain has its own zero point. There is no piont taking another new chain as a reference. Details can be found in the pdfs of ZFC.
Yes, I'm aware of this methodology https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/wp-c ... itypg2.pdf
To conclude, Campy, YBN and Ultegra chain are more in alignment with KMC digital chain checker vs pure elongation. Thus, using brand new Ultegra as baseline is good example to find delta.

Source: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-bes ... comparison
"Dura-Ace chain sample coming out of the box with a measured .12mm “wear” on the KMC digital chain checker, whereas the batch of Ultegra chains started at .05/.06mm measurable “wear”.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:53 pm
The chain might be even less elongated that indicated. The KMC digital chain checker measures roller inner to inner instead of inner to outer, so it doesn't isolate out roller wear. Also check multiple sections of the chain just in case.
I did check at least 4 sections. It's surrpisingly low to me. Are you saying that both chains have even shorter elongation from inner to outer? I fail to understand how riders destroy their chans with low mileage? Failure to clean/lubricate due to laziness? This effort takes ~120 seconds :wink: Contamination is the enemy!

Race bike with Ultegra chain 0.23 - 0.27mm
Training bike with Dura Ace chain 0.28 - 0.30mm

PoorInRichfield

by PoorInRichfield

Dang,a digital chain stretch meter... I didn't even know such tool existed.

I hope your findings are wrong as I'm counting on the chain that came with my bike to wear out so I can justify a new and lighter chain $$$ :wink:

Aeo

by Aeo

How is the side-to-side movement of the chain compared to a new chain? Hard to measure, more of a feel test unfortunately...
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

DaveS

by DaveS

Any tool that adds roller wear into the measurement exaggerates the elongation.

True elongation is best measured with a precision 12 inch rule.

A Campy chain can show little elongation after 6,000 miles, but if you check the roller wear and side clearance you'll find that it should have been tossed at half that mileage. Even with little elongation, using a chain for that long will cause new-chain skip.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Wouldn't you want to measure chain wear including roller wear? My understanding is that elongation plus roller wear equal chain pitch. And pitch is what determines how well the rollers interface with the chairings and cassettes. I have the Park chain checker that checks inner to inner distance.

It was reported that Shimano chains come with looser roller tolerances. And Shimano chains do test out to be the fastest when new. So the theory goes that the loose roller tolerance is done on purpose to give the fastest chain possible.

I used to use R&R Gold. But after switching to wax anything else besides wax is just plain disgusting! When I work on friends' bikes I'm amazed at how disgusting a drivetrain is when lubed with a drip lube.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

DaveS wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:39 pm
Any tool that adds roller wear into the measurement exaggerates the elongation.

True elongation is best measured with a precision 12 inch rule.

A Campy chain can show little elongation after 6,000 miles, but if you check the roller wear and side clearance you'll find that it should have been tossed at half that mileage. Even with little elongation, using a chain for that long will cause new-chain skip.

Here you go :beerchug:
~3500 miles (5600 km) later with KMC digital chain checker showing 0.30mm

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well lucky you. I dont get anywhere close to that with a well maintained drive train.

Mileage has to do with the curvature of the chain over the sprockets as well as maintenance. Therefore how many mile is lacking context.

If you rode in 53 12t all the time your would get fewer miles from your chains.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:55 am

If you rode in 53 12t all the time your would get fewer miles from your chains.

And? Hardly anyone who actually knows what they are doing rides at the cadences you do. So not only are you losing efficiency, you’re wearing chains/cogs faster and ineffectively splitting your aerobic/anaerobic/neuromuscular workloads, and destroying your knees. Great.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I've had similar experiences with shimano chains. Still very usable after 4-5000 miles. I recently put a KMC X11SL on my newest bike. I'm curious to see how it holds up.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

GeoffS

by GeoffS

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:28 am
Wouldn't you want to measure chain wear including roller wear? My understanding is that elongation plus roller wear equal chain pitch.
No, because when the chain is wrapped around the gears under load, the rollers are all shifted across in the same direction. Roller wear therefore only impacts how far the rollers shift relative to the pins, but has no impact on chain pitch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

That makes no sense. If the rollers become smaller/thinner then the distances between roller contact points become longer. Thus the chain would want to 'ride' higher up on the cassette tooth. Roller wear has the same detrimental effect as elongation.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk