Emonda 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mw1978

by mw1978

soonerrebel wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:12 pm
mw1978 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:43 pm
This is my emonda SL7 with Di2 :D
Last weekend I changed my stock handlebar with ZIPP Sl70.

I am contemplating purchasing an Emonda but absolutely hate the bulky Trek headset spacers. I have mocked up (in a graphics program) the look with regular round headseat spacers ABOVE the Trek supplied routing spacer. Basically the Bearing Top Cap then the Routing Spacer then about 10 mm of regular round spacers then the stem. In your pics in appears you have a regular round spacer BELOW the stem and ABOVE the routing spacer. Did it come this way from Trek or did you set it up that way? Any problems with this setup?
I'm using trek spacers and trek stem. I changed only handlebar. I went this way because I want to have choice to move with different stem length or angle. So far so good. Handlebar to saddle drop is around 9cm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

Thanks for the info!

Ytse

by Ytse

Does anyone have the confirmed weight of an Emonda SLR frameset in 56 (navy smoke blue / viper red)? Trek claims sub 700 grams but for a size 52 unpainted. My suspicion is that it's closer to 800g than 700g painted.
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

drainyoo wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:52 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
drainyoo wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:19 pm
gabriiaia7273 wrote:Can the collar be replaced or is it integral with the seat post?

Inviato dal mio SM-A525F utilizzando Tapatalk
It can’t be replaced… well I guess it can be if you force it off. It’s loose, not permanently attached to the post, but there’s a lip at the bottom preventing it from sliding off.

So remove the bolt and pry it apart?
Yeah, basically. Seems like that could be done. But then how would you get the new clamp on there? Also, most of the weight is in the cradles and ears, so not sure it’s worth it changing the clamp. I wish they still sold the lightweight cradles.
Hi,
Do you change the collar ?
Is this exist compatible dimension ?
Thanks

Paperboy

by Paperboy

Does anyone know if there are any extended expander plugs for the steer tube yet? I contacted Trek and they do not make one. They provided me with a link to Amazon for generic extended expander plugs- in other words they weren't very helpful. I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything.

jjones

by jjones

Hi - there have been a lot of updates/changes on the emonda bars/stem over the past few years with the recall and new products hitting the market, etc. I have an emonda slr frame to build up and was curious what the group consider the current ticket. There are some fairly unappealing set ups I have seen given the frame design.

I need to run about 2cm of spacers to that makes the situation worse since I can't slam the stem.

Factoring in 2cm of spacers, a goal to help manage the spacers and cables as visually friendly as possible - what are the current best options? I am open to one piece solutions or seperate stem/bars. Lighter is better, but ugly lighter is not better...

Thanks for any advice - sorry to rehash this again, but given all the changes I figured I would just ask....

hannawald

by hannawald

mw1978 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:44 pm
soonerrebel wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:12 pm
mw1978 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:43 pm
This is my emonda SL7 with Di2 :D
Last weekend I changed my stock handlebar with ZIPP Sl70.

I am contemplating purchasing an Emonda but absolutely hate the bulky Trek headset spacers. I have mocked up (in a graphics program) the look with regular round headseat spacers ABOVE the Trek supplied routing spacer. Basically the Bearing Top Cap then the Routing Spacer then about 10 mm of regular round spacers then the stem. In your pics in appears you have a regular round spacer BELOW the stem and ABOVE the routing spacer. Did it come this way from Trek or did you set it up that way? Any problems with this setup?
I'm using trek spacers and trek stem. I changed only handlebar. I went this way because I want to have choice to move with different stem length or angle. So far so good. Handlebar to saddle drop is around 9cm.
Maybe you know that but according to Trek you should run 5mm spacer above the stem. See assembly manual. But it is ugly so I understand you don't do it:)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

hannawald wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:33 pm

Maybe you know that but according to Trek you should run 5mm spacer above the stem. See assembly manual. But it is ugly so I understand you don't do it:)

If that's the stack height they've settled on, adding a 5mm spacer would be pointless. I guess they could run the RSL stem too since that has chamfer on the inside and a lower clamping area / bolt position.

hannawald

by hannawald

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:30 am
hannawald wrote:

If that's the stack height they've settled on, adding a 5mm spacer would be pointless. I guess they could run the RSL stem too since that has chamfer on the inside and a lower clamping area / bolt position.
Trek integrated handlebar is ok without spacer but their normal stem requires spacer above the stem. At least according to assembly instructions and my dealer. Guys told me Trek had some cases of cracked steerers in the past so they are careful now. They are also quite picky what stem you can use. It can't have any cutouts at the back area which surprisingly eliminates majority of the stems.

Paperboy

by Paperboy

hannawald wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:46 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:30 am
hannawald wrote:

Trek integrated handlebar is ok without spacer but their normal stem requires spacer above the stem. At least according to assembly instructions and my dealer. Guys told me Trek had some cases of cracked steerers in the past so they are careful now. They are also quite picky what stem you can use. It can't have any cutouts at the back area which surprisingly eliminates majority of the stems.
I just swapped out a Zipp sl speed for a Bontrager RSL stem because my lbs told me the same thing. I was suspicious that they were up-selling me on a new stem; good to know they weren't. The RSL stem is fancy pants, as far as stems go. I like the integration of computer+headlight mount.

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

Joined the trek family after approximately 16 years off an old trek 1000 SL!

Bought a Emonda SL 5 , but doesnt seem to see the color anywhere else.

All stock for now, with the favero assimo duo pedal

Weight is a pocky 9.3kg.

Geometry changes
To flip stem downwards and increase length by 10mm
Remove the spacer stack, I probably can slam the stem, but I am going to keep the stem cap on and slam the huge 3cm spacer stacker.
Increase the saddle height by another 0.7cm.

Upgrades upcoming
Crankset- 50/34 is outdated, will be switching to a 53/39 Ultegra that is lying around somewhere at home
Stem - upgrade to the Bontrager Pro stem
Saddle- the current saddle is comfortable, but looking awhile for a cheap carbon saddle.
Handlebar- I have been riding without gloves , so am looking around for a carbon handlebar so that my sweat doesnt corrode the handlebar
Wheelset and tires- still am undecided between having a full tubeless setup , or just continue running a clincher setup.
Probably the Bontrager Aerolus Pro 35 with GP 5000 or the Zipp 303s with GP 5000 Tubeless

LRB23

by LRB23

Any thoughts on the next Emonda release? I have a shopping basket at the ready based on the current Emonda but worry there might be something on the horizon for this year.

That being said even if there is an update this year are we still suffering from production delays?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

LRB23 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:20 am
Any thoughts on the next Emonda release? I have a shopping basket at the ready based on the current Emonda but worry there might be something on the horizon for this year.

That being said even if there is an update this year are we still suffering from production delays?

The current Emonda was released in 2020 for MY21. The previous Emonda was released in 2017 for MY18. It stands to reason that a new Emonda will appear around June, especially since the current Emonda is neither particularly light, nor aero...and the cable integration needs work.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Its going to be a while before there is a new Emonda.

LRB23

by LRB23

TobinHatesYou wrote:
LRB23 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:20 am

The current Emonda was released in 2020 for MY21. The previous Emonda was released in 2017 for MY18. It stands to reason that a new Emonda will appear around June, especially since the current Emonda is neither particularly light, nor aero...and the cable integration needs work.
Yeah I’m kinda hoping this year we’ll see an update. Personally I’d like to see it head back towards a dedicated climbing bike, focusing on weight reduction. With Trek continuing to separate the Madone as an all out aero bike, it makes sense at least in my mind. But I guess the next Emonda will ultimately be lead by the market numbers.

I still fancy building the current Emonda up in a relative light build. I like that Trek hasn’t followed suit with dropped seat stays. All the bikes these days look the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com