Emonda 2021

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

m3bas

by m3bas

I’ve had my Emonda for 2 years and still love it. Put a 12 speed DA on it last year. I run pro vibe aero bars with pro stem, 40mm HED Vanquish for hilly races and training, 60mm for other races. Feels every bit as fast on the flat as my Propel did, but way more responsive and comfortable, plus 7.1kg with cages, pedals, etc.
Only thing to have come along to tempt me to change is new propel but I can’t get one of those anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ytse

by Ytse

m3bas wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:12 pm
I’ve had my Emonda for 2 years and still love it. Put a 12 speed DA on it last year. I run pro vibe aero bars with pro stem, 40mm HED Vanquish for hilly races and training, 60mm for other races. Feels every bit as fast on the flat as my Propel did, but way more responsive and comfortable, plus 7.1kg with cages, pedals, etc.
Only thing to have come along to tempt me to change is new propel but I can’t get one of those anyway

Can you post a pic?
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

m3bas

by m3bas

Older pick before updated the group set

Ytse

by Ytse

Very nice bike. I have it in the exact same colors :)

MarkusBo

by MarkusBo

Hi there!

Long time lurking, first time posting!:)

I'm looking to purschase a Emonda SL6 to complement my Ritchey Road Logic disc but I'm wondering if anyone here can help me with the following question:

- How do you experience the mechanical shifting work with the integrated cable routing?

I'm quite close to pulling the trigger on getting one so if anyone has experience they can share about the mechanical shifting Id appreciate it alot. I believe I went through the whole thread but I can't remember it really being discussed here.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

MarkusBo wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:17 pm
Hi there!

Long time lurking, first time posting!:)

I'm looking to purschase a Emonda SL6 to complement my Ritchey Road Logic disc but I'm wondering if anyone here can help me with the following question:

- How do you experience the mechanical shifting work with the integrated cable routing?

I'm quite close to pulling the trigger on getting one so if anyone has experience they can share about the mechanical shifting Id appreciate it alot. I believe I went through the whole thread but I can't remember it really being discussed here.
It isn't really internal on the sl6 with Mechanical? The handlebar is a normal one?

MarkusBo

by MarkusBo

Yeah poor choice of words from my side. I was thinking about the routing entering the stem spacers. Seems like quite the sharp bend at entry atleast when using several spacers?

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

MarkusBo wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:41 pm
Yeah poor choice of words from my side. I was thinking about the routing entering the stem spacers. Seems like quite the sharp bend at entry atleast when using several spacers?
I own the Emonda SL 5 , and am running the Shimano 105 R7000 with mechnical shifting, so far , it have not experienced any degradation in shifting.

Before picture with the huge stack of spacers at 9.3kg

Final completed build at 8.3kg
Completed bike build

Cables routing

My only wish is that the shifters can be less chunky, as I was previously using Campagnolo Mechnical (Record and Centaur) .

MarkusBo

by MarkusBo

sadisticnoob wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:04 am
MarkusBo wrote:
I own the Emonda SL 5 , and am running the Shimano 105 R7000 with mechnical shifting, so far , it have not experienced any degradation in shifting.

Before picture with the huge stack of spacers at 9.3kg

Completed bike build

Cables routing

My only wish is that the shifters can be less chunky, as I was previously using Campagnolo Mechnical (Record and Centaur) .
Hi! Thank you for the post, it was the information I was looking and more! Your bike looks great! I wish that color was available for me. And yeah the shifters are quite chunky, I have the ultegra variant for my ritchey. Sorry for the late reply:)

Rearviewmirror7

by Rearviewmirror7

First time poster - figured I'd share my Emonda (56cm) with quite a few upgrades/changes. Originally bought the SL6 Pro back in early 2021 amidst the bike shortages (drove a nice ~300 mile round trip to pick up the bike in my size/color).

Definitely not in weight weenie territory with the 8kg+ weight, but in my defence the SL frame starts at a bit of a disadvantage over the SLR! I'm also running Garmin Rally XC pedals, which are a cool 441g bt themselves, as I got sick of crank based power and having to switch out with every single groupset change. This way I can run the same pedals on my Emonda and Checkpoint ALR and get dual sided power.

I'm currently waiting on some Farsports Feder 25mm wheels to be my every day training wheels (which I'll fit with 32mm GP5000S TR tires to soak up the less than stellar asphalt near me) and should get me comfortanly sub-8kg.

I tried out the Cannondale Hollowgram crankset but couldn't get it to play nicely with the front derailleur and honestly couldn't be bothered with the faff and potentially reduced shifting performance, so went back to stock Ultegra.

I could probably save another ~100g with lighter thru axels, Most bar tape, and the shorter seatmast, but I'm not sure it's worth the $360

Upgrades:

Shimano Ultegra Di2 12 Speed (huge upgrade - if anyone else wants to do this the two spare parts you need from Trek for the battery holder and small frame grommet for the rear-derailleur for the SL are W326749 and W600208)
Hunt Aerodynamicist 4454 Wheels running 25mm GP5000S TR tires - 2.634kg (inc sealant, valves, and rotors)
Shimano MT900 160mm Disc Rotors - 229g (for the pair)
S-Works Carbon Hover Bar - 213g
Dura-Ace 11-34 cassette - 256g
Elite Leggero carbon bottle cages - 34g (total for the pair)
Kogel Ceramic T47i bottom bracket - 102g

Here's a few pictures, with a close up of the neatened up cockpit (losing front shifting cables does wonders!):
IMG_1040.jpg
IMG_1041.jpg
IMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1043.jpg
IMG_1044.jpg

pmprego

by pmprego

sadisticnoob wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:04 am
MarkusBo wrote:

Completed bike build

What is the stack height of that mandatory headset spacer? I'm assuming the geometry numbers do NOT takes into consideration that mandatory spacer (normally they do not) but knowing that height allows me then to estimate the amount of "real" spacers that I'd need on top of that. Many thanks!!

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Rearviewmirror7 wrote:First time poster - figured I'd share my Emonda (56cm) with quite a few upgrades/changes. Originally bought the SL6 Pro back in early 2021 amidst the bike shortages (drove a nice ~300 mile round trip to pick up the bike in my size/color).
Looks like you drove 300 miles and got the wrong size. Saddle position and stem suggest the next size up would have been better.

hannawald

by hannawald

pmprego wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:24 am

What is the stack height of that mandatory headset spacer? I'm assuming the geometry numbers do NOT takes into consideration that mandatory spacer (normally they do not) but knowing that height allows me then to estimate the amount of "real" spacers that I'd need on top of that. Many thanks!!
If you mean the painted one it is included in the stack height numbers.

pmprego

by pmprego

hannawald wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 3:24 pm
pmprego wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:24 am

If you mean the painted one it is included in the stack height numbers.
Thanks! Answered

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ytse

by Ytse

Is there a better looking lightweight stem for the Emonda than the THM Tibia / Schmolke TLO?