Saddle: Berk, Alpitude, Gelu, Saevid, Mcfk

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Makki83

by Makki83

Does the berk lupina habe issues with the darimo t2 seatpost?

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

Can anyone do a direct comparison between the Berk lupina and the fabric alm ultimate. I have the lupina on two bikes for what it's worth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

TurboTommy wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:05 pm
Can anyone do a direct comparison between the Berk lupina and the fabric alm ultimate. I have the lupina on two bikes for what it's worth.
I love the Lupina, have two of them.

Tested the ALM a couple years ago and found it very unforgiving. No flex. Loaned the Fabric to a friend to test thereafter and he called it an ass hatchet. I sold it.

The regular Fabric's I liked well enough, generally, but their super light carbon offering is not nearly as refined as the Berk Lupina. No contest IMO.

zzzzz8

by zzzzz8

My Lupina has been fine with the Darimo t2 post. I've ridden about 5000km with it. The bolts attaching the saddle loosened off after 2000 or so km but some loctite seemed to sort it. I only weigh 63kgs though.

Cubist

by Cubist

Anybody redid the padding on the Lupina? After 15000km it shows some marks of shafing on the sides (mainly due to some rides where some fine sand in road spray ended up on the saddle and my bibs).

micky

by micky

I had the leather of my right side saddle sliding by side in the central area.
I brought it to a local elderly who used to work with leather shoes and he fixed it pretty quickly.
By his opinion the glue used wasn't so good.
After that little fix no more problems so far.

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

Berk dila much better than lupine or bont xxx. Ultra comfortable with the wider wings and slightly shorter snout and at a svelt 100 grams with padding its a great compromise over the ultra light saddles with better comfort.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

naked 3po, the first weight weenie.

DHG01

by DHG01

Agree, Dila works very well with me. For reference, I also like the Belcarra a lot. Antares has been good. No issues with Arione. I didn't like the San Marco Aspide FX wide much, I think it positions me too aft on the bike. The San Marco Regale was fine. Still trying to figure out Astute Skylite.
I guess I like shorter saddles, and I have a reasonably tolerant butt. Out of all, Dila by far the one I like most. There is an interesting alternative - a wide, light EC90. It does the job well at only a fraction of the cost.

joaoapura

by joaoapura

Pulled the trigger on a padded Dila (140 mm), ordered on Friday, arrived on Wed. Weights 95g (on two different scales). I will do a quick review after a couple rides. :wink:

Evaso

by Evaso

Gardena is excellent. Although it is personal, it is the most comfortable saddle I have ever used.

valesavex

by valesavex

My two cents goes to Saevid, I have 3 seaddle, two in road bike, one on my cross country MTB. No one single issue: I was skeptical on MTB, but after some crash the seaddle is still spot on. I can't say if they are flexier then other....I think seaddle and shoes are the only think you can't compare....when you find the right one for you, don't change it. IMO seaddle need to be rigid so you sit on your bones...the comfort must searched be in BIB short.
Used Saevid in 5-6h with no problems, weight 70kg.

mashiehood

by mashiehood

BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:25 am
TurboTommy wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:05 pm
I love the Lupina, have two of them.

Tested the ALM a couple years ago and found it very unforgiving. No flex. Loaned the Fabric to a friend to test thereafter and he called it an ass hatchet. I sold it.

The regular Fabric's I liked well enough, generally, but their super light carbon offering is not nearly as refined as the Berk Lupina. No contest IMO.
Saddles are such personal choice, i have a Dila, Fabric ALM Ultimate, AX Lightness Leaf - in order of preference Fabric, then Dila and AX L joint second. I find the ALM very flexible and confortable and it resides on my gravel bike for that very reason.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I know you will likely not want a saddle this heavy, and some might even wonder how you can get up any hill with such a porky thing, but I have tried several light saddles (Berk - both shapes, Gelu etc) and always got saddle sores.
Then I rode a rental bike on vacation and it had a Selle Italia SLR Boost Carbonio, and it was fantastic.
I ordered one for myself, and it is the best shape I have ever experienced.
Mine is sub 130g, so around 30g heavier than my Berk padded saddles, but I like riding it significantly better.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

SLR Boost Carbonio is so comfortable. I'm 85kg and can ride that saddle for days on end, even if it's 10hrs+ per day. Haven't tried the other light saddles, but I also can't imagine being more comfortable than I already am.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scottydonald

by scottydonald

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:24 am
I know you will likely not want a saddle this heavy, and some might even wonder how you can get up any hill with such a porky thing, but I have tried several light saddles (Berk - both shapes, Gelu etc) and always got saddle sores.
Then I rode a rental bike on vacation and it had a Selle Italia SLR Boost Carbonio, and it was fantastic.
I ordered one for myself, and it is the best shape I have ever experienced.
Mine is sub 130g, so around 30g heavier than my Berk padded saddles, but I like riding it significantly better.
I am the same. I have the SLR Boost Carbonio Superflow in L3.

I am the exact same height as the OP, weight 98-100kg 220lbs ish and lean. The SLR is the best lightweight saddle out there and the best purchase i have made for a bike.