Saddle: Berk, Alpitude, Gelu, Saevid, Mcfk

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Having tried the Berk Lupina, Berk Lukna, Bontrager XXX, and Selle Italia Aspide SuperLeggera Open, in terms of stiffness, I'll rank it from stiffest to least: Lukna > Aspide > XXX > Lupina. In terms of weight, I'll say that my Lupina's range 5-10% from advertised (I've had padded and unpadded). The Lukna is 69gr, the XXX also 69gr, the Aspide Superleggera is the heaviest at 105gr.

My preference continues to be the Lupina.
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

kgt

by kgt

You mean Selle San Marco Aspide?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

angman19

by angman19

Ive been riding Selle
Italia SLR Carbonio KiT for a couple years. Has been my go to saddle. I had the 100% carbon variant as well but front rails detached from nose while going over a hard bump. Have used Fabric ALM but not comfortable at all for me. Recently switched to Berk Lupina both padded and non padded. Very similar to the Selle Italia SLR but lighter so the switch is now permanent. I have a padded Lupina with round rails and it is more comfortable than the nonpadded with oval due to the flex. My Lupinas are the 135 width. I also had the wider berk dila as well. The wider dila was the most comfortable. But it was ugly and I couldn’t deal with it. It was the 150ish width one. The nose was way too wide aesthetically. I’ve tried my friends Gelu but only briefly. Very high quality and I’d say comfort is on par with the Lupina or selle italia

Italia

by Italia

Just switched from my 132mm Berk Matte Lupina back to Selle Italia SLR. As beautiful and lightweight the Berk is it just didn't fit my narrow sit bones. Anyone looking for a Berk?

GeoffS

by GeoffS

Might be. Whereabouts are you ?

ms82

by ms82

@angman19: Cheers, I have already installed my first Berk Lupina on the bike. Trainer ride on Saturday and then rain caught me yesterday. I must say I was a little bit worried to sit on this feathery thing but wow, it is comfortable. I went with 150 mm. It is still just early impressions but as fat as comfort goes it is the best saddle I had!

Pumpster

by Pumpster

My 130mm Mcfk saddle is super comfortable and stiff as hell. I've tried SMP Full Carbon, Gelu K3 (yes, the ultralight one) and Schmolke TLO but the Mcfk is the best, at least for me.

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

Hi,
I see a picture of a Darimo saddle which seem very cool.
Any information ?

mrshifty

by mrshifty

I have the 132 Lupina no padding and I can't get used to it. Sizing is right, but I feel every bump and crack in the road.

mrshifty

by mrshifty

JMeinholdt wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 pm
I came from an Arione to the Berk Lupina. Wouldn't go back. I will say though, the Lupina is much more sensitive to positioning (height and fore/aft) and chamois padding than any other saddle I've tried. Once you get it right though, it cradles you (or at least it does me) just right. I did the prologo dimension also, which I liked the short nose of, but it was much too stiff. I've also rode the Selle San Marco Aspide, which the shape just didn't sit (pun intended) quite right with me.

After all of my saddle testing, I've also determined saddle comfort on the trainer and saddle comfort outdoors can be completely different.
This 100%, felt good on the trainer but on the road, completely different for me. It's for sale if anyone wants it.

kgt

by kgt

I ended up selling my Lupina too. Nothing wrong after a couple of rides but, at the end, not that much better than my old, trusty SI SLR carbonio. Although it weights 28gr less in terms of its materials, dimesions (smaller oval rails than other saddles) and overall construction it does not feel as bombproof as the SLR. So, I decided to sell it before caught by surprise.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

moved from a pro falcon to a repente aleena 4.0 - so far all ok on 1.5 to 2 hr rides...will see how it goes on longer rides..

Cascadian

by Cascadian

I swapped out the standard Canyon R5 Fizik Antares saddle for a Berk Lupina. I'm 90kg and have ridden 200miles on the Lupina in one go with no issues. It is more comfortable than the Antares which caused rubbing in the perineum area on the longer rides. I would higly recommend the Lupina it was over half the weight and Berk also provided a white version on request.
Attachments
Berk Lupina - 91g
Berk Lupina - 91g
Canyon Fizik Antares R5 - 215g
Canyon Fizik Antares R5 - 215g
Berk Lupina vs Antares
Berk Lupina vs Antares

RNAV

by RNAV

bilwit wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:35 am
I have a couple padded Berk Lupinas (132mm) and have just recently replaced one with the Alptitude Gardena (128mm -- bang on 65g btw). Hard to say which is more comfortable when I've only used the Gardena on the trainer and have yet to put some serious time into it. My initial impressions are that it's definitely more stiff (not as flexible, which is not a good thing in terms of saddle comfort) than the Berk, and it's shape (top-down) pretty much aligns with the Lupina other then the Lupina extends a bit more in the back and the nose is longer. Height-wise they were surprisingly spot on, I didn't even have to adjust the seatpost at all.
Have you been able to get any road rides on the Gardena? I'd like to hear more of your impressions of the Gardena as compared to the Lupina. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

I'm also wanting to know more about the Alpitude Gardena if anyone has experience with it.