Saddle: Berk, Alpitude, Gelu, Saevid, Mcfk

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coresare

by coresare

I had a padded Berk Dila. It was okay, but went back to a Shimano Pro Stealth Superlight which is my favorite out of everything I've tried. Also although it weighs heavier, it totally looks like a more finished product vs something glued together such as when you look at the bottom of this thing. Look how nice and durable this thing looks.

scapewalker

by scapewalker

Do any of you guys have a both a Berk Lupina and Dila model?
How do these two compare?

I'm currently riding a Lupina and i'm really happy with it as long as i don't try to get super aero.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

anquetil

by anquetil

Berk Hlod, best saddle ever made.

sychen

by sychen

I do love the lupina.. Broke a round rail and current have a unpadded oval.. But I had issues with undersized rails and it doesn't play nice with Specialized seatpost/side clamp. Due to this I'm not usually riding it as I need to wrap the rails to stop it slipping. Just be aware this may be an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

+1
This is often an issue and I cannot see why Berk does not use 7x9 carbon rails like most other manufacturers.

snaxez

by snaxez

kgt wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:19 pm
+1
This is often an issue and I cannot see why Berk does not use 7x9 carbon rails like most other manufacturers.
I think the 7x9 is default now on berk saddles, they might do round rails as a custom order, but not sure.

KCookie

by KCookie

1sanglier wrote:Hi,
I see a picture of a Darimo saddle which seem very cool.
Any information ?
Where did you see this.
Could you attached a link to it please.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

reedplayer

by reedplayer

kgt wrote:
+1
Berk does use 7x9, i had a List and a Lupina, both with oval rails. regrettably both came loose at the join/front of the saddle, after short use period (i weigh 62 kg)
Last edited by reedplayer on Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kgt

by kgt

I know that oval rails are now standard on Berk saddles (I had one for a couple of weeks) but these are not exactly 7x9, this is why the fit on some seatposts is not ideal.

shotgun1

by shotgun1

They're not on your list, but the lighter saddles I've been using are the Toupe S-works (2010) at 128g and AX Lightness Leaf Leather 110g.
2021 Giant TCR Advanced SL0 Disc 6.8kg
2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Disc 7.9kg
2017 Festka Scalatore 5.375kg

Original account [shotgun]: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10594

Pabloldv

by Pabloldv

reedplayer wrote:
kgt wrote:
+1
Berk does use 7x9, i had a List and a Lupina, both with oval rails. regrettably both came loose at the join/front of the saddle, after short use period (i weigh 62 kg)
Exactly that has happened to me (59kg).
Anyone has tried the Alpitude? It seems to have a shorter nose and a wider channel.

Roy2018

by Roy2018

scapewalker wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:38 am
Do any of you guys have a both a Berk Lupina and Dila model?
How do these two compare?

I'm currently riding a Lupina and i'm really happy with it as long as i don't try to get super aero.
I have both in wide versions and they are both very different. The Lupina is imo significantly more brittle than the Dila. The rails detached on the Lupina after a few rides. The Dila is quite wide at the nose and is a little uncomforble when sitting forward on the saddle and it has noticably less flex. For this reason my sit bones felt sore after long rides. For short TTs however I think it is ideal as it it feels like a more solid platform to put down power.

Comfortwise I would pick the Lupina but its just too brittle for my liking and I am only 147lbs. Ive since gone to a Selle Italia SLR Boost and have been impressed by its durability, comfort and the width of nose is better for hard efforts.

Hope this helps.

kroem

by kroem

Bianchi10 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:08 pm
I'm also wanting to know more about the Alpitude Gardena if anyone has experience with it.
+1 :)
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

reedplayer

by reedplayer

i am very satisfied with a Saevid Sillin S 1.2, 127 cm (matte black, 73 gr.), and a Selle Italia SLR-Tekno (arround 80 gr.). Both saddles feel very similar. They have a stiff shell, nevertheless are very comfortable. But i suppose, both do not tolerate any compromises, they really have to fit!

da123

by da123

I don't really understand why Berk doesn't sort the obvious QC issues out on his saddles. It can't be economic to be warranty replacing so many. It does surprise me that there is still so much goodwill given the amount of failures. I'm as guilty as anyone else - 2 round rail saddles snapped, two cracked wings (though one was my fault - bike fell over) and one rails detached from glue. I do also have one that has lasted a long time... I guess his unquestioning replacement policy and the fact that it is fundamentally a great design and clearly a nice guy are getting him through, but goodwill only lasts so long IMO.

Other saddles : Selle San Marco Aspide Superleggera is a bombproof, reasonably light choice. Very stiff though. Bontrager XXX - lovely looking and durable, but I didn't find it that comfortable. Not a lot of flex. The major manufacturers build a lot more headroom into their designs for product liability purposes I think. Schmolke TLO saddle - I really like this one. Comfy, decent flex and seems very well made. It is a direct copy of the Gelu K series though, and you can buy a Gelu for less (not the K3, but the others are same weight or lighter than the Schmolke). I like the look of the Gelu F series - may be the next purchase... or perhaps a nice Berk 😀

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com