Saddle: Berk, Alpitude, Gelu, Saevid, Mcfk

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cubist

by Cubist

Love the Lupina. Now 10000km in. No problems. Did a 6,5 hour ride of 200km last Sunday and no pains at all. Don’t forget that good bibs can make a difference in comfort too.. Guess saddles are really personal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

montee

by montee

Likewise, I've lupinas (oval rails) on 2 bikes with around 15000km between them. No problems & they work well for me.

Dat

by Dat

Maybe my post get deleted? Anyway I'll try again.

You can return bontrager saddles within 30 days if you are unhappy. Sigma sports honour this.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bontrager/guarantee/

kgt

by kgt

First ride on my Lupina today. In terms of comfort it is a great saddle indeed!

Yoln

by Yoln

RyanH wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:11 pm
bilwit wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:35 am
As for the Berks tendency to break, I've had one break and have seen several similar breaks here on this forum but every time it's only been with round rails. I had them replace mine with ovals (which is now the default option in their store) and never had an issue since. I will say that the round rails were a bit more comfortable (more flex) than ovals though.
Two of mine developed cracks in the wing on the clear coated version. A few friends had the rails come unglued. Berk is the only saddle mfg that I'm aware of that glues the rails on like that. Mcfk rails are merged into a layer of carbon that looks like it's done during the moulding process.

On saddle comfort, a lot of people will say how comfortable the Berk is due to flex but many ignore that that flex causes numbness during prolonged seated efforts since the saddle doesn't support the sitbones. If you're riding a Berk and find yourself constantly getting out of the saddle to get blood flowing again then you have the same problem with Berk that I did and a handful of others I know that have used that saddle.
Round or Oval rails?

What are you riding now?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

ms82

by ms82

Cubist wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:27 am
Love the Lupina. Now 10000km in. No problems. Did a 6,5 hour ride of 200km last Sunday and no pains at all. Don’t forget that good bibs can make a difference in comfort too.. Guess saddles are really personal.
Thanks. I guess I was waiting for some positive feedback too :-) And I know about the shorts. I've learned my lesson with older bibs. I use Assos, they fit me best.

@Dat: Yeah, I could order a couple of saddles and try them out. No free return shipping for me though. A couple of options online to order some saddles and return for shipping only. But none includes all saddles I would like to try. I'll start with what comes out of this.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I came from an Arione to the Berk Lupina. Wouldn't go back. I will say though, the Lupina is much more sensitive to positioning (height and fore/aft) and chamois padding than any other saddle I've tried. Once you get it right though, it cradles you (or at least it does me) just right. I did the prologo dimension also, which I liked the short nose of, but it was much too stiff. I've also rode the Selle San Marco Aspide, which the shape just didn't sit (pun intended) quite right with me.

After all of my saddle testing, I've also determined saddle comfort on the trainer and saddle comfort outdoors can be completely different.
Basso Palta II - SRAM Force AXS 2x - Road/Gravel/Commute
Wilier Cento10AIR - retired
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Collecting dust

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I'm one of the people that Ryan mentioned above who has the Berk rails come unglued. I had this happen on a Lupina and a List. An interesting thing I noted is that my first Lupina lasted forever until I swapped it with a friend who needed round rails, once I got on the newer "mass produced" saddles I started having issues. Berk was always good about getting the saddles replaced but sometimes it's rough waiting 2-3 weeks for a saddle to arrive. I've since swapped to MCFK and while the saddle is firmer, I have done plenty of long rides without issues. I'd be interested in trying the MCFK Open or the Alpitude to see if they're more comfortable but I think I'll wait to hear what others think first!

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Just getting new Lupina becouse found small crack on round rail version where seatpost clamp hold. Can be just one upper carbon layer as it was totally coincidense find but asked what Berk think about it. It was already 5-6 year old so wasn't expecting any customer support for it but Berk offered new oval rails on it. Ended up buying couple times used test saddle with good discount so I can keep old one and use it on smart trainer. Happy customer.

After 5000 km zero problem with another oval rail version.

Mcfk padded open saddle looks good. Maybe one day I'll get one to test out.

flying

by flying

ms82 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:09 am
I really wouldn't want to exchange the saddle 5 times.
When I think of carbon saddles having cracking problems or rails coming undone returning it is the least of my concerns :D

I cannot think of a more horrific injury than a carbon saddle coming apart anywhere near a Lycra clad bottom...ouch! :lol:

ms82

by ms82

Yeah, well. I crashed recently after a puncture in 60 km/h. I am not sure what I would choose, probably neither ;-)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I am surprised you did not include fabric alm ultimate saddle. The most comfortable carbon saddle on the market and very light too. Super strong and you will not be disappointed

ms82

by ms82

It is not very light compared to others and it doesn't have a cut out.

Yesterday I measured my sitbones for the n-th time and I need a saddle at least 150 mm wide. Center to center on the tinfoil I measured 140-145 mm. That probably leaves only Alpitude and Berk from the saddles I mentioned at the beginning. I'll order Lupina and see how it goes. Thanks everyone.

Visus

by Visus

ms82 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:02 pm
It is not very light compared to others and it doesn't have a cut out.

Yesterday I measured my sitbones for the n-th time and I need a saddle at least 150 mm wide. Center to center on the tinfoil I measured 140-145 mm. That probably leaves only Alpitude and Berk from the saddles I mentioned at the beginning. I'll order Lupina and see how it goes. Thanks everyone.
In my experience this measurement does not help in the real world. I personally would need a rather narrow saddle according to my sitbone distance but I had both narrow and wide saddles which I liked an hated.

Regarding Berk Saddles, I have a Lupina 132 with round rails, Dila narrow and wide, both with oval rails. All padded, never had a problem, nothing cam loose until now. I nearly crashed once on the bike with the Lupina, missed a surface irregularity at high speed going downhill, made a wheelie one my front wheel and landed really hard on that Lupina, it changed the angle of the saddle (one bolt seat clamped, torqued to about 6nm). But to my astonishment, the saddle was okay, nothing cracked.
For comfort I really prefer the narrower Dila saddle, perfect shape for me (Although my sit bone distance would say it's too wide)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

the fabric alm is plenty wide for me. it is the comfort that is the most amazing part of this saddle and i also have cutout saddles but the alm still is the most comfortable!