New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cjm

by cjm

IvanZg wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:24 am
Cattie wrote:I about to buy a TCR Advanced Pro. I read pretty much half of the thread. Did anyone with a new TCR Pro experience speed wobble?

Cyclingtips did mention in their review that it actually did happen to both of the testers at around 70 km/h.
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/01/2021-g ... ke-review/

That is the only thing, that leaves me a little concerned.
It happened to me once. Speed was 72 km/h acording the Wahoo. It was windy with side gusts. Did not happen ever again after that. I also balanced the wheels but i'm not sure it really done anything besides making them very calm when in bike stand. It took 22ish grams per wheel.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
How did you balance the wheels?

I had a bit of a speed wobble at 76km/h earlier this year, I am running deep rims with latex tubes, long valves and extenders all of which won't be helping the wheel balance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IvanZg

by IvanZg

cjm wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:21 pm
How did you balance the wheels?

I had a bit of a speed wobble at 76km/h earlier this year, I am running deep rims with latex tubes, long valves and extenders all of which won't be helping the wheel balance.
I ordered these balancing stickers and placed them across the outside of the rim. After spray painting them, they are "barely" noticeable. Adhesive seems to be very good as they do not fall off even after pressure washing. Also they do not leave any residue after removing.

https://tinyurl.com/bpa8va7z

RadB

by RadB

I have a propel with very close geometry to the tcr, and balanced the wheels. But I found it's the front wheel depth that makes it unstable. With a 45mm rim it's fine, with a 65mm it's unrideable/dangerous above 60 and in crosswinds. Need to descend with a knee pressing the top tube to prevent the oscillations from worsening. I'm pretty sure that's why giant specced it with the mullet wheels, regardless of marketing claims.

benelliracing

by benelliracing

Hi guys, I got a TCR pro and the stem is so ugly that I created this cover, it's for sale for anyone interested, only 4 gr.
Shipments all over the world :up:
Attachments
s-l500 (2).jpg
s-l500 (2).jpg (30.79 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
s-l500 (3).jpg
s-l500 (3).jpg (35.4 KiB) Viewed 2454 times

chupster98

by chupster98

SilverSteve wrote:I have a MY2016 rim brake TCR. I'm looking to shed some weight from the seatpost.
Can anyone confirm the material and weight of the MY2022 saddle mounting components? If they are carbon and there's a significant weight difference, I may try ordering the MY2022 parts and use them on my seatopst.

Thanks,

Here are the weights of the MY2016 parts...
Not that much savings using the carbon cradles — only 10 gr lighter

Original alum weight: 50 gr
Carbon parts weight: 40 gr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Giant Revolt Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2014 Santa Cruz 5010 CC

SilverSteve

by SilverSteve

chupster98 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:32 pm

Not that much savings using the carbon cradles — only 10 gr lighter

Original alum weight: 50 gr
Carbon parts weight: 40 gr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for posting the weights.

I ended up buying this kit from ebay. So far so good.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125287941052

robertbb

by robertbb

Considering the non-detectable performance "advantage" of shaving 45grams, the mind boggles at those who would literally attach the seat to their bicycle with a piece of carbon from ebay.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

^ that kind of negativity toward someone who shave weight from the bike does not belong to a web board called "weightweenies".

warthog101

by warthog101

The point that it is a critical attachment on the bicycle, from a seller of unknown quality control, is a valid point, given the potential consequences should it fail whilst descending a high speed corner imo.
It perhaps could have been communicated more objectively.
I have often been guilty of imperfect written communication too.

robertbb

by robertbb

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:04 am
^ that kind of negativity toward someone who shave weight from the bike does not belong to a web board called "weightweenies".
Not at the expense of safety. We (and I say we because I include myself in this) can be more than a little nuts at times when it comes to bike stuff. We owe it to each other to offer a moderate voice of reason on occasion.

pwhee

by pwhee

Hi all,

I'm looking for size advise and opinions. My heigt is 1.87 cm with an inseam of 89.5 cm. My saddle height is somewhere between 78 - 79 cm. I used to sit at 79,5 cm but have been lowering my saddle after a hip injury.

I've been riding size L Giant TCR's for some years but never felt right on the new geometry of my '21 TCR pro. A short test drive before purchasing this bike on a size ML instantly felt to small. So I went for the L and been questioning this descision ever since.

I've put my bike fit on both L and ML. What would you pick? L with a slammed stem or ML with a couple more spacers and longer stem?

1405C9A9-93DD-41F7-A89C-17F5EA4D08D8.jpeg
3B45EC12-0EBF-4B5D-8FF9-6B53E6D19B9C.jpeg
Ps. My 2021 TCR Pro has all the issues mentioned in this thread. Dropping seat post and damaged seat post due to the wrong clamp. This was warrantied by Giant with a new seatpost and the old MY2016 clamp. And finally solved with additional carbon paste and only 5 Nm torque on the clamp. Rock solid and no creaks.

I also noticed the thud on heavy braking in the front the bike. Giant warrantied a new headset bearing set but the problem kept coming back. Over tightening the bearing helped with the thud but decreased the lifespan of the bearing significantly. Eventually I used thin alluminium tape on the outer rim of the top headset bearing to decrease the space between the carbon frame and top bearing. With this bodge the bearings only need normal torque 1-2 Nm and last a long time. My guess is that the early batch of frames have a tolerance issue.

js

by js

My height is 192cm, same saddle height though and I've played a similar game over time with XL vs L TCRs. In the end, I've preferred the Large with a 130mm stem, though I do still have a few spacers, so that I can enjoy the drops fully when it's time.

I'd previously used a -17 deg stem on the XL, but I'm in Canada and Giant Canada don't bring in many of the nice bikes, so Large was an easier option anyway.

The difference in handling between the two sizes was small enough that it was masked within the performance change from one generation to the next - as I only changed sizes when I upgraded to a new model.

I'm not sure how helpful all that is, as I appreciate it's lots of subjective thought and N=1, but for what it's worth I've been very happy with the larges ever since.

pwhee

by pwhee

thank you for the insight js. I might pickup a second hand ml and give it a go.

JOwenSmith

by JOwenSmith

183 CM tall with 85(ish)CM inseam. I moved from an older TCR in size L to a 2021 in ML. First ride the frame felt incredibly small and I was a little concerned, but by the end of the ride it felt very comfortable and I haven't looked back since. I did end up moving to a narrower set of bars with a longer stem, and a I don't have the slammed stem, but I am more than happy with the choice to go down to the smaller frame.

I know this doesn't line up specifically with yourself as you're a little taller, but this is what worked for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benelliracing

by benelliracing

Hi here are some photos of the working in progress conversion of my tcr pro team!
Attachments
IMG_20221224_175238.jpg
IMG_20221226_232817.jpg
IMG_20221226_232840.jpg