New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

guadzilla

by guadzilla

g32ecs wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:39 pm
The serviceability excuse is a horrible excuse. You're basically telling everyone forget the Defy and Propel because you'll have a hard time servicing it, BUT NOT THIS ONE!
No, they are giving people CHOICES. You want concealed cables, you get the Propel. You want easy to service/easy to travel - get the TCR. Especially as full concealed cables are going to add weight to the frame, which probably matters more for a climbing bike than exposed cables.

On this thread alone, you see plenty of people who appreciate having this choice - myself included. I get that this doesnt work for everyone - but you cant make a bike that is perfect for everyone.

rob86

by rob86

naylor343 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:15 pm
I would take the new TCR cables any day over the Defy and Propel. The only way Giant were able to hide the cables and hoses was by replacing a lightweight road stem with something resembling an aircraft carrier.
This!

No other brand succeeds in making a full integrated cockpit as lean as a non integrated one. Giant does even a very bad job with the propel but even other brands, its always bulky with plastic caps all over. No, I prefer this way. With a contact slr integrated combo it looks very lean and slick (like the aeroad).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

The only modern climbing bike I can think of that has integrated cables and a slim stem is the new Ridley Helium. I don't know how they did it and how well it works but I would still prefer the TCR.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Ritxis wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:11 pm
rides4beer wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:41 pm
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr

No framesets listed, and no rim-brake SL listed. Not sure if that's gonna change.
Japan website.....disc and rim brakes https://www.giant.co.jp/giant20/bike_se ... _code=SR38
Yes, I was pointing out that they're not listed on the US site.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

That Ridley is remarkably clean. First reaction was that it must have been photoshopped! Just looked up the manual and it sounds like an absolute ballache to build and you'll have to rebuild it completely in order to make any adjustments. Comes right out and say you're going to need two people just to put it together. For sure it looks nice but give me cables on the outside anyday.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

Ridley's using D shaped steerer tube so integration looks neat.

Poslano sa mog SM-G970F koristeći Tapatalk

Unniti

by Unniti

Fully integrated cables look really good on Instagram and marketing shots. But dealing with them is a pain in the ass. Even one piece barstems are annoying if you travel frequently with a bike.

Giant has two bikes with integrated cables, if you want a bike with them they are providing that option. This one is their climbing bike and you'd think people on WW would appreciate them keeping it light. Integrating the cables would add more weight to the frame. They also haven't dropped the stays, not that they aren't already pretty damn low with how sloped the TT is. They're even providing rim brake version of the frame. It's almost everything WW has collectively cried for over the last couple of years when complaining about new frames. Unique looking, lightweight, rim brakes, no dropped stays. And now two exposed cables are a problem. I'd even bet rim brakes almost necessitate exposed cabling because they'd feel awful with all the tight bends that practically all fully integrated setups have.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Unniti wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:27 pm
Fully integrated cables look really good on Instagram and marketing shots. But dealing with them is a pain in the ass. Even one piece barstems are annoying if you travel frequently with a bike.

Giant has two bikes with integrated cables, if you want a bike with them they are providing that option. This one is their climbing bike and you'd think people on WW would appreciate them keeping it light. Integrating the cables would add more weight to the frame. They also haven't dropped the stays, not that they aren't already pretty damn low with how sloped the TT is. They're even providing rim brake version of the frame. It's almost everything WW has collectively cried for over the last couple of years when complaining about new frames. Unique looking, lightweight, rim brakes, no dropped stays. And now two exposed cables are a problem. I'd even bet rim brakes almost necessitate exposed cabling because they'd feel awful with all the tight bends that practically all fully integrated setups have.
I like what they done here.. Really.. Real engineering, and not marketing things like integrated cables, disc only option, or dropped stays... Kudos for Giant on this.. If someone make something like this but non propriety seatpost, regular stem diameter im all in... But even this is good enough to be my next bike (rim brake version of course)....

chorus88

by chorus88

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/04/2021-gi ... evolution/

2020 vs 2021 GEOMETRY

2021 GEOMETRY (see attachment)
Attachments
21AdvSL-GEO+.jpg
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

andychampionsound

by andychampionsound

chorus88 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:17 pm

2020 vs 2021 GEOMETRY

2021 GEOMETRY (see attachment)
this is exactly the solution to my dilemmas with the 2020 M/L sizing. slightly gutted that they've finally sorted it out now.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

DM rim brakes would have been fantastic to see..

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

This would add weight too for no considerable advantage.

ichobi

by ichobi

Actually dm makes for a lighter bike since you dont have to make brake bridge and add reinforcement at the seatstay and at the front forks.

shotgun

by shotgun

I made my reservations on a SL Disc last month, but it looks like I've hit a snag. The Advanced SL Disc will only accept electronic (Di2 or AXS) shifting. I just updated to H11 and Bora Discs last year.

LBS did offer an excellent deal for that Advanced SL0 Dics with AXS, but with this pandemic, I'm not sure it's prudent nor right to dish out money for a new bike.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stoffa

by Stoffa

Why why why no dm brakes Giant??