New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

guadzilla wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:08 pm
robeambro wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:08 pm
That said, even if somebody were to race crits (which is probably where internal cables would make the most difference), most possibly they would be better off choosing other bikes rather than the TCR, so I can definitely see why Giant would not care. It's just puzzling to then have internal cables on the Defy, which is probably a bit more marketed at leisure/endurance long and slow riding rather than pure racing.
For a crit, saving a few hundred grams would matter, I'd say - if i am constantly accelerating/decelerating, getting that extra mass up to speed takes more energy than the miniscule aero difference of the cables, especially when i am likely in someone's draft most of the time anyway.

Depends on the crit and the riding style. In a 30mph office park crit, aero bike. Cat's Hill? Light bike. Technical crit, but flat, frankly I'm still on my aero bike because I'm more likely to get in a break or at least a split where I'm going to be forced to the front.

Shpox

by Shpox

Reno wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:11 pm
GranFondo first impression was that new TCR is not especially comfortable.
[/quote]

No doubt, but I've ridden this year's Advanced Pro 0 Disc and on 25mm's. Can't imagine it's too different but it felt a WORLD of difference compared to my Propel which even on 28mm's feels stiff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Glad everyone's thrashing Giant here for the cables. No idea how they made the Defy and Propel with a clean cockpit but not for their pure bread racer.

The serviceability excuse is a horrible excuse. You're basically telling everyone forget the Defy and Propel because you'll have a hard time servicing it, BUT NOT THIS ONE!

PrettyA

by PrettyA

The Propel routes its front brake hose through a small hole on the back of the fork steerer to achieve the full integration, I'm not too sure about the Defy's system but it should be the same.

I guess if people really want their new TCRs to go fully internal, it's possible with the drilling of a hole in the rear of the fork steerer, though highly discouraged.

Unless FSA makes a 1 1/4 stem with ACR, I don't see how the TCR can have fully internal cables.

Tuslareb

by Tuslareb

Why are people so upset with the external cable thing? The aerodynamic benefit of internal cable routing at the handlebars is very marginal. I think it's a wise decision from Giant not to put extra weight and complexity into the bike by getting everything internal.

bedampft

by bedampft

g32ecs wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:39 pm
Glad everyone's thrashing Giant here for the cables. No idea how they made the Defy and Propel with a clean cockpit but not for their pure bread racer.

The serviceability excuse is a horrible excuse. You're basically telling everyone forget the Defy and Propel because you'll have a hard time servicing it, BUT NOT THIS ONE!
No, not everyone.
And they're not telling that to everyone either.

Total integration is bullshit, especially on this kind of bike. You can swap out parts easly, getting the right fit und position is way better. It's lighter, it's cheaper (for the consumer/buyer) and it is more serviceable. Also, it's easier to travel and pack the bike.

naylor343

by naylor343

I would take the new TCR cables any day over the Defy and Propel. The only way Giant were able to hide the cables and hoses was by replacing a lightweight road stem with something resembling an aircraft carrier.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

so much excitement about a few cables......curious times!;-)

kgt

by kgt

Marketing weenies cannot but follow the trends.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Best thing about the new TCR is the fact it is still available with rim brakes. I couldn't care less about the exposed cables. I was not planning to upgrade my bike, but I will probably do it just so it is one additional modern rim brake bike sold.

Only thing that bothers me with the TCR is the PF86 bb (I would prefer a BB386) but not a deal breaker.

chorus88

by chorus88

TheMalahat wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:04 am
Wow, that 2021 paint is on point. I was en route to getting a 2020 TCR but had a feeling this announcement wasn't far off, and held off... Ultimately ended up completely unexpectedly buying a Scott Addict, but could see a TCR in my future for fun.

Curious to see Canadian pricing, they've been very generous with the exchange rate here for years.
The 2020 Advanced SL frame was $2399.99 CAD. (cheap)
2021 :noidea:
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

Ritxis

by Ritxis

chorus88 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:01 pm
TheMalahat wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:04 am
Wow, that 2021 paint is on point. I was en route to getting a 2020 TCR but had a feeling this announcement wasn't far off, and held off... Ultimately ended up completely unexpectedly buying a Scott Addict, but could see a TCR in my future for fun.

Curious to see Canadian pricing, they've been very generous with the exchange rate here for years.
The 2020 Advanced SL frame was $2399.99 CAD. (cheap)
2021 :noidea:

In Japan website; 2021 Advanced SL disc frame, to the change= 3.320 US Dolars 2021 Advanced SL rim brake=3.044 US Dollars

rides4beer

by rides4beer

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr

No framesets listed, and no rim-brake SL listed. Not sure if that's gonna change.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

rides4beer wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:41 pm
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr

No framesets listed, and no rim-brake SL listed. Not sure if that's gonna change.
Japan website.....disc and rim brakes https://www.giant.co.jp/giant20/bike_se ... _code=SR38

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guadzilla

by guadzilla

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:23 pm
Depends on the crit and the riding style. In a 30mph office park crit, aero bike. Cat's Hill? Light bike. Technical crit, but flat, frankly I'm still on my aero bike because I'm more likely to get in a break or at least a split where I'm going to be forced to the front.
I should have been more clear: I am not debating aero vs light in general - as you said, that depends on the crit.

I am talking solely about the tradeoff between exposed cables vs a few hundred grams of extra weight in a crit. I cannot think of a single road racing event where i would take a 200gm or whatever weight penalty for the aero benefits of concealed cables, all else being equal. The bigger point being - while the cables dont make a difference in the use case of this bike, a few hundred grams more would.
Last edited by guadzilla on Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.