New Giant TCR Advanced announced

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrlobber

by mrlobber

The aero claims are on par with the Tarmac and R5, so nothing really bold, just the standard 2020 situation with all those bikes essentially displaying 2 disc brake hoses and (perhaps) a Di2 wire or nothing if Etap / AXS. And we know (even Tobin admits it :D) that Emonda SLR, while being really light, is aero as a brick.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:39 am
The aero claims are on par with the Tarmac and R5, so nothing really bold, just the standard 2020 situation with all those bikes essentially displaying 2 disc brake hoses and (perhaps) a Di2 wire or nothing if Etap / AXS. And we know (even Tobin admits it :D) that Emonda SLR, while being really light, is aero as a brick.

My Emonda is a great training bike...and I'll use it for like, Berkeley Hills RR and Pescadero. The next Emonda though...

Anyway, I think it's a mistake by Giant not to fully internalize the cables on $5000-$7500-$10000 builds. Let's be honest, most cyclists don't even install their own chains or wrap their own bartape. They aren't going to care about ease of maintenance thanks to externally routed cables which are still partially routed through the frame. Okay sure it makes replacing bars and stems easier, but hey Cannondale's hamfisted solution also allows for easy stem/headset replacement.

No matter what I do, my Emonda's exposed brake hose will vibrate/rattle slightly at speed. That's the most visceral difference...the Madone (and other fully integrated bikes) are absolutely silent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Unniti wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:22 am
Also those aero claims are pretty bold. Especially when they don't have integrated aero cockpits.
I agree that the lack of cable integration in 2020 seems like a big miss for me. However, I'm not sure how much the cable integration really affects aerodynamics. Certainly there is some aerodynamic advantage to hiding the cable, but BMC, who pioneered the whole cables through the stem thing, admitted that the internal cable routing was primarily for aesthetics. At least on their SLR01 and RM01 frames.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

dexe wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:39 pm
The first thing I notice is an XS (so 6 frame sizes instead of 5!!). The S seems to be slightly bigger than the current S, while the XS seemingly takes the spot for riders @ 165, maybe to 170/172 instead of 175?.
Yes, and this was long overdue. In addition, the M is slightly larger and the M/L is slightly smaller. These smooth out some (previously) large jumps in sizing.

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

I’m a big fan of the new frame. While I like the aesthetics of fully-integrated cables, I didn’t want a fugly cockpit (like the Propel) nor a compromised steerer tube design (like the BMC). Sure, there are solutions that avoid both of those, but it’s not a huge deal for me, especially since I will benefit from the easier maintenance (I do it all myself).

I welcome the improved aero, lighter weight, and geometry tweaks. I also like what they kept the same—the overall aesthetic.

It was also interesting to read about how the SL’s frame is partially made by robots rather than entirely by humans, as is the case with the lower-end frames. I was wondering when that step in carbon frame manufacturing would start happening.

I will likely buy an SL Disc frameset, but I’m not really a fan of the light blue in the pics. I might wait another year. I’m in no hurry since my current TCR is still pretty awesome.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

TobinHatesYou wrote:No matter what I do, my Emonda's exposed brake hose will vibrate/rattle slightly at speed. That's the most visceral difference...the Madone (and other fully integrated bikes) are absolutely silent.
My TCR’s hoses are silent. I did replace the factory hoses, route them through an Ergonova handlebar, and heat-shrink the rear hose with the Di2 cable. The points where the hoses leave the bars and enter the frame or attach to the fork are pretty tight (no space to rattle).

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I agree on wishing the BB with 386 or another form factor that allowed for 30mm cranksets as that would be my preference. I can only assume that desing decision comes from the relationship with Shimano. Beyond that, for 24mm the standard is very solid. But still ...

I am also curios as to the EPS hole size for a frame that may sell well as a custom option. Nothing a dremel wont fix I guess - again I figure this is because of the relationship with Shimano. I wonder if EPS will ever be able to downsize their locking plugs.

I hope Giants paint is a bit more durable for 2021 than previous years but definitely some great schemes popping up.
Just ride ..

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I have a rim brake 2019 SL in Chameleon blue. While I don't need another TCR, another bike for that matter, I will pick up a limited edition frame (disk) if the color appeals to me.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Love the Chameleon Neptune on the Pro (which coincidentally is how I would spec my next bike lol). The headtube/stem shape almost looks like it would be compatible with some of the integrated setups out there, Vision ACR, Farsports F1, etc. An integrated cockpit with hidden cables would make it perfect. Also digging the aero style seatpost.

newtcr.jpg

madik

by madik

So TCR Advanced SL rim is frame only model? Also there is no Dura Ace model as someone mentioned in 9200 Dura Ace thread. Interesting :)
Functionality > Performance > Weight

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

madik wrote:So TCR Advanced SL rim is frame only model? Also there is no Dura Ace model as someone mentioned in 9200 Dura Ace thread. Interesting :)
I’m guessing Giant is waiting to announce their Dura Ace models until Shimano formally announces 9200.

boots2000

by boots2000

They mention extra room for more tire- Does anyone know what actual maximum tire size is?

dexe

by dexe

boots2000 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:37 pm
They mention extra room for more tire- Does anyone know what actual maximum tire size is?
32c for disc

itsacarr

by itsacarr

boots2000 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:37 pm
Clearence should be good as my current TCR had 30mm tires on AR's at one point that measure a little wider - with no scrub. Tight on the front but no rub.
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aeo

by Aeo

rides4beer wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:26 pm
The headtube/stem shape almost looks like it would be compatible with some of the integrated setups out there, Vision ACR, Farsports F1, etc.
Giant was already doing the oversized head tube that many frames are using now to have enough space for the cables.

Will come down to whether you can route the hose through the fork.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14