WW cassette which is not SRAM/Shimano, but still works?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seismic

by seismic

Hi All,
I am looking for an (exotic?) alternative to a DA/SRAM 11spd cassette. I know there are a number of botique brands in the market, but what I have experienced so far in regards to lack of quality is quite dissapointing. It appears that only SRAM and Shimano (despite now being 2020) understand how to design a cassette. However, this does of course not stop my search for finding an alternative :D :D :D

A few thougths on requirements:

- Lightweight (benchmark is the SRAM XG1190)
- Other color options than silver (this is merely due to the color scheme of the bike)
- Is compatible with either Shimano or XD Free Hub
- Fair shifting quality (I do not expect Shimano or SRAM shifting smoothness, but the cassette needs to work without teeths falling off right, left and center - or the entire cassette being pulled out of sync due to poor material (often soft alu) and design)

I have been looking around, but with choises out there such as Ztto, Uno, Recon etc, I feel quality is lacking utterly behind. It further looks like there are several botique brands producing and experimenting with MTB cassettes than rad cassettes. However, as I have been out of the bike-game for a number of years, I may very well have missed out on brands which could be worth looking at.

Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Thank you :beerchug:

Maddie

by Maddie

Ztto definitely

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alanyu

by alanyu

If you want the shift quality, give ZTTO SLR a go. Not ZTTO ULT, the shift quality at small cogs is shXt.

StanK

by StanK

I would say Bdop Cycling, but they haven't steel (no alloy, please) cassette in stock for some time. I don't know why is that (the image and price are on their website), so I guess it's possible to get them - somehow.

In fact, I'll probably buy another one as I'm very happy with it. Some 4500 km and without any problems. It works just like Ultegra 6800 before it. I don't feel or see a difference. I used Shimano DA and PYC 1101 chains and groupset is DA9000.

Mostlyharmless

by Mostlyharmless

Omni titanium cassette and Seqlite aluminum cassette, both weight less than 120g at 11-28t, shift pretty good with electronic shifting, not sure about mechanical. Rotor Uno cassette, at weight range of 120-130g, but have seen failures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuingbeans

by chuingbeans

StanK wrote:I would say Bdop Cycling, but they haven't steel (no alloy, please) cassette in stock for some time. I don't know why is that (the image and price are on their website), so I guess it's possible to get them - somehow.
I got in touch with Bdop a while ago about their steel cassettes and got this reply

“Thanks for the email.

We won't stock the steel again until spring.”

So hopefully that means soon.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

What is wrong with the standard 1190 cassette? Shifts ok even if a little louder than its ultegra/da counter part and lightweight.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I will echo stank’s sentiments about Bdop’s cassettes. I have both his steel & alloy in 11-28 Shimano/SRAM & couldn’t be happier with the shift quality. Could never get my RD9150 to shift correctly with the SRAM XG’s but no such issue with the Bdop or Shimano cassettes. Buy again? Yep 100%
BB

Coffee & carbon

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Mostlyharmless wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:31 pm
Omni titanium cassette and Seqlite aluminum cassette, both weight less than 120g at 11-28t, shift pretty good with electronic shifting, not sure about mechanical. Rotor Uno cassette, at weight range of 120-130g, but have seen failures
Speaking from experience with a mechanical drivetrain, I would NOT recommened the Omni cassettes to anyone under any circumstance.

Before the sale, he will claim all day they are the better of DuraAce and Super Record and tout his guarantee of it, that is, until you call him on it and then he has a mile of excuses to hide behind and not honor his word.

They shift like crap due to poor construction and odd/too wide cog jumps.

Avoid like the plague or prepare to be burned.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If Ztto could release an SLR2 cassette with some titanium cogs between the alloy and the steel ones it would be a better option.

A friend wore out the smaller alloy cogs in 4 months. Now the chain is skipping over them. Yet the largest cog on sram red cassettes seems to last much much longer than the alloy cogs on ztto slr2 cassettes. If only they could ensure they are using the hardest kind of aluminum like sram does, plus titanium in the middle, that would be great.

chuingbeans

by chuingbeans

Racework have a 160g steel/aluminium cassette on Ali at an attractive price.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dXy2mhX

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Sroad look interesting. They have nothing between 28t and 40t though so if you're looking for 32/34/36 you're out of luck.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

I'm Uno x 4 with no problems.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

tabl10s wrote:I'm Uno x 4 with no problems.
I'm using uno on my climbing bike but find it noisy. I took the rubber bands from a spare sram XG1190 and put it on the uno, much quieter now Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichardL

by RichardL

beanbiken wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:52 am
Could never get my RD9150 to shift correctly with the SRAM XG’s but no such issue with the Bdop or Shimano cassettes.
My SRAM Red mechanical shifts flawlessly with SRAM XG-1190 cassettes.