Campagnolo 12sp chain on 11sp drivetrain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skidrrr

by skidrrr

Will Campagnolo SR 12-speed chain work on 11-speed Campag drivetrain?
Some of my friends are using Sram xx1 eagle 12sp on 11-speed Ultegra. I don't really get it but they claim it works better in cross-chain situation because it is thinner. What I know for sure is that one of them did 9065km and have only 25% of wear.

So I'm wondering if it is a good idea to try Campagnolo SR 12-speed chain.
Has anybody tried this?

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I'm sure it will work fine. Be careful with Campagnolo chains they don't stretch like other brands over time, so with chain checkers they appear not to be worn, but I would change them on a regular basis, maybe every 3-4000kms regardless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

Why would you want to use a 12 speed chain on 11 speed??? :noidea:

skidrrr

by skidrrr

Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:58 am
Be careful with Campagnolo chains they don't stretch like other brands over time
hmm I didn't know that. Actually I just bought a chain wear measuring tool and was surprised to see that my chain still can't pass 0.75% test while I already made 7k on it. Apparently it is time to replace it. Thanks!

c60rider wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:46 am
Why would you want to use a 12 speed chain on 11 speed??? :noidea:
I'm not really sure how to explain this. I still instinctively believe that industry is going forward and everything new must be better. I know that it isn't always like that but for example it is true for Campagnolo 12s maximum smoothness cables that improves 11sp drivetrain shifting. Especially for internal cabled frames like mine.
The new chain is also a bit lighter and if it handles cross-chain better I'm happy to try it.

DaveS

by DaveS

I've been riding campy 12 since July. I don't think it cross chains any better. I still avoid the largest two sprockets, with the big ring, even with the narrower 12 speed sprockets and chain rings. I've found that the SRAM axs chain works well too, but it's even narrower.

alanyu

by alanyu

skidrrr wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:03 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:58 am
Be careful with Campagnolo chains they don't stretch like other brands over time
hmm I didn't know that. Actually I just bought a chain wear measuring tool and was surprised to see that my chain still can't pass 0.75% test while I already made 7k on it. Apparently it is time to replace it. Thanks!

Campy's chain do stretch like other brands but they do much slower. 7k is normal for a record chain.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Record chain last me 3000km max. Kmc and shimano do fewer miles.

The 11 speed non series chain uses the same materials as the 12 speed chain. So if you want 12 speed tech in an 11 speed chain buy the non series series chain. That's what going on my bikes next.
Last edited by bm0p700f on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

11s chains work on 10s drivetrains because the tooth thickness is the same. Is 12sp still the same? I find that difficult to believe.

What about 12s chain on 10s?

DaveS

by DaveS

The 12 speed sprockets are significantly thinner. As for campy chain wear, I've used one for 10,000km and not come close to .5% elongation, but the rollers and side clearance wear was extreme. It should have been retired much sooner.

3000km is nothing for a campy chain, unless you take very poor care of it. Twice that should be no problem.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I once wrote a rant about the difference in thermal treatment and metallography between Campag chains and the others. Nobody gave a toss about it. Most here just assume Shimano does everything better because they’re Japanese, but if you try to present evidence of the contrary nobody reads.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

DaveS I take care of my chains but 3000km maybe 4000 is the most I get. It not so much lack of care but load/the gear used. Those that spend alot of time in the small sprocket at the back (12/13t) wear chains at a faster rate. So less of the crap from you.

I can get 10000km from a chain (to what wear point though) therefore I am superior. This bullsit is not on.

DaveS

by DaveS

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:03 pm
DaveS I take care of my chains but 3000km maybe 4000 is the most I get. It not so much lack of care but load/the gear used. Those that spend alot of time in the small sprocket at the back (12/13t) wear chains at a faster rate. So less of the crap from you.

I can get 10000km from a chain (to what wear point though) therefore I am superior. This bullsit is not on.
Don't appreciate the misquote. I noted that the chain should have been tossed long before 10000km, but 3000 is ridiculous. There is a difference between true elongation, measured between the pins and a reading taken with calipers as suggested by campy, or those taken with a wear gauge that adds roller wear to true elongation (change in pitch). Using smaller sprockets may cause more pivoting action between the links, but using the big ring a lot lowers the chain tension. Even flat landers use a lot bigger sprockets than the 12-13.

Many people toss chains prematurely, hoping to avoid new-chain skip. Rather than do that, alternate the use of 3-4 chains. The chains can be used longer and new-chain skip will still be avoided. You'll get more chain and cassette life. If you're using 5-6 chains before having new-chain skip, you're really wasting chains.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I find my chains are noisy as hell before they start to misbehave or the wear gauge fits in it.

After waxing a new chain it can stay silent for 500km but with an old chain it doesn't even make 100km before squeaking and making noise.

DaveS

by DaveS

q
alcatraz wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:04 am
I find my chains are noisy as hell before they start to misbehave or the wear gauge fits in it.

After waxing a new chain it can stay silent for 500km but with an old chain it doesn't even make 100km before squeaking and making noise.
I've never read of anyone else using wax with that complaint. How many kms on the chain when that happens?

So you toss chains even before a wear gauge says to? Ever try measuring chain elongation the right way, with a precision ruler?

I prefer my home brew wax lube that I can apply in a couple of minutes and not have to remove the chain nearly as often.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

My chains don't trip the wear gauge even after 5000km and more. When I see the rollers are beginning to become loose and the wax intervals become too tight for my taste I toss it.

I'm too lazy to wax often. If I kept 10 old chains and swapped them every 100km and waxed them I'd be ok I guess. Just a lot of chain swapping and work in the kitchen, and paraffin dust on the floor and trainer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com