2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kevin7767

by Kevin7767

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:35 pm
Skittlez212 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:26 am
Another integrated cockpit shot from Lotte Kopecky

Looks like a length/width combo that will never be available to the public. It's distorted to look longer because of the wide-angle, but I'd be that's 38cm/110cm.
That's probably the size I'd want. Though if they had it I'd probably try a 36!

spartacus

by spartacus

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:35 pm
Skittlez212 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:26 am
Another integrated cockpit shot from Lotte Kopecky

Looks like a length/width combo that will never be available to the public. It's distorted to look longer because of the wide-angle, but I'd be that's 38cm/110cm.
I'll be rocking the two piece until some genius at specialized invents a 120x36 integrated but for some reason bike company people have a brain disease where they think people with long stems want 44cm bars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I'm intrigued if there will be any availability of these cockpits. Been trying to get my hands on the Rapide's in 40cm for over a year at this point.

treyxt

by treyxt

jadedaid wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:39 pm
I'm intrigued if there will be any availability of these cockpits. Been trying to get my hands on the Rapide's in 40cm for over a year at this point.
Here's a quick search from the specialized site on 40cm roval rapides in new york. Call these shops and see if they have them and if they can ship them to you. They won't show on the websites for these shops because the shops never list them for some reason, but a lot of times the specialized site will still list the shop and they will have it.

Good luck!

Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

Eraser

by Eraser

My golden superbike :D
58 size, 7.4kg full spec, with bottlecages, wahoo and pedals
Attachments
1D787D79-5714-4ABF-A4A4-E034879B86B5.jpeg

robbosmans

by robbosmans

My favorite color , just a guess but Dutch?

Eraser

by Eraser

Russia, Kaliningrad

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Ah nvm, I was thinking tall and flat

Eraser

by Eraser

Lol, yes, I'm tall and very very flat 😁

Jaisen

by Jaisen

treyxt wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:20 pm
jadedaid wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:39 pm
Here's a quick search from the specialized site on 40cm roval rapides in new york. Call these shops and see if they have them and if they can ship them to you. They won't show on the websites for these shops because the shops never list them for some reason, but a lot of times the specialized site will still list the shop and they will have it.

Good luck!

Great advice, and Strictly will ship. In fact I purchased an SL7 frame set from them doing precisely what you described. They even shipped it to me in Canada.

voicycle

by voicycle

Nearly there with my build - mostly just waiting to take it outside til salt season is over now. Nothing particularly WW about it but if a luggage scale is to be believed then the 54cm 8170 build is 7.28kg with pedals, cages, MagCAD, chain catcher, and even an ortlieb saddle bag clip (still no sealant though - won't do that til I'm taking it outside).
IMG_2521.jpg
Would love your tips on a few final details though:
  • Bottle Cages - I already hate these S-Works Rib Cage III and think I can still return them since they've only been on the indoor trainer. I've used Elite Custom Race cages on all my other bikes and really like them but wanted something more swish/carbon for this build. It's the bottle insertion angle on the Rib Cages that I don't like. Is it worth trying something like Supacaz Fly Cage Carbon or should I just spend the extra 20% to get Arundel Mandibles? Any other favourites?
  • Chainstay Protector - frameset came with one on but it looks like it's there to tick a box rather than to actually protect the frame. Doesn't even begin til about 90mm in front of the dropout. I've cut my own protectors out of Effetto Mariposa Shelter tape for my last two builds, but they were gravel bikes. Anyone here have a preferred option for a bike like this? Not necessarily minimalist as I do intend to ride and race the bike, but I don't want overkill either!
  • Other Frame Protection - my outgoing road bike doesn't have anything protecting the downtube (or elsewhere beyond chainstay) and I haven't noticed any paint chips or anything. Shall I say that's sufficient evidence to leave this frame naked too, or is it prone to damage anywhere specific that you wish you'd protected?
    Seems a bit silly to ask but I've just never had a paint job this expensive before! (Gravel race bike has MTB shelter tape on the down tube and I reckon it's taken hits that would have cracked the carbon otherwise - it's chewed to f*** and I need to refresh it for next season. But I intend to ride over far less fist-sized gravel on my SL7 8) )
  • Serial Number - speaking of tape on the downtube, I just noticed the 'peel me' s/n sticker. I'm guessing that's for sticking in the owner's manual and the permanent ID is just meant to be the one under the top tube?
  • Valve Stem Nut Protection - this one should really be on the Roval thread, but since I'm here can someone confirm that the Roval stickers with holes in are meant to protect the rim from the tubeless valve nut? And I should (re)move the max tyre pressure sticker in order to fit them cleanly?
Thoughts/tips appreciated. Thanks!

Jaisen

by Jaisen

voicycle wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:32 pm
Nearly there with my build - mostly just waiting to take it outside til salt season is over now. Nothing particularly WW about it but if a luggage scale is to be believed then the 54cm 8170 build is 7.28kg with pedals, cages, MagCAD, chain catcher, and even an ortlieb saddle bag clip (still no sealant though - won't do that til I'm taking it outside).

IMG_2521.jpg

Would love your tips on a few final details though:
  • Bottle Cages - I already hate these S-Works Rib Cage III and think I can still return them since they've only been on the indoor trainer. I've used Elite Custom Race cages on all my other bikes and really like them but wanted something more swish/carbon for this build. It's the bottle insertion angle on the Rib Cages that I don't like. Is it worth trying something like Supacaz Fly Cage Carbon or should I just spend the extra 20% to get Arundel Mandibles? Any other favourites?
  • Chainstay Protector - frameset came with one on but it looks like it's there to tick a box rather than to actually protect the frame. Doesn't even begin til about 90mm in front of the dropout. I've cut my own protectors out of Effetto Mariposa Shelter tape for my last two builds, but they were gravel bikes. Anyone here have a preferred option for a bike like this? Not necessarily minimalist as I do intend to ride and race the bike, but I don't want overkill either!
  • Other Frame Protection - my outgoing road bike doesn't have anything protecting the downtube (or elsewhere beyond chainstay) and I haven't noticed any paint chips or anything. Shall I say that's sufficient evidence to leave this frame naked too, or is it prone to damage anywhere specific that you wish you'd protected?
    Seems a bit silly to ask but I've just never had a paint job this expensive before! (Gravel race bike has MTB shelter tape on the down tube and I reckon it's taken hits that would have cracked the carbon otherwise - it's chewed to f*** and I need to refresh it for next season. But I intend to ride over far less fist-sized gravel on my SL7 8) )
  • Serial Number - speaking of tape on the downtube, I just noticed the 'peel me' s/n sticker. I'm guessing that's for sticking in the owner's manual and the permanent ID is just meant to be the one under the top tube?
  • Valve Stem Nut Protection - this one should really be on the Roval thread, but since I'm here can someone confirm that the Roval stickers with holes in are meant to protect the rim from the tubeless valve nut? And I should (re)move the max tyre pressure sticker in order to fit them cleanly?
Thoughts/tips appreciated. Thanks!
As for as bottle cages, I really like the Tacx Ciro but word of warning, they are very snug/tight. Also sweet ride. I built my SL7 just before winter hit, so only got to take it out once before all the snow and salt showed up. Like you I eagerly await Spring, but still am enjoying it on the trainer.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Elite Legerro’s (latest) are the best bottlecages i have ever used (with tacx bottles)

Cuypmeister

by Cuypmeister

voicycle

by voicycle

Thanks Jaisen and Robbosmans, both look good. Ciros seem like they have a similarly high entry point to the s-works so I might try leggeros first. No great deals to be had on mandibles at the moment so I'm happy to try out a few other options first.

Yes the most frustrating thing about timing the build is I've actually had everything sat in boxes in the corner since April. I was planning to have it built and on the road last summer, but an imploding work project followed by a major personal life thing followed by a long-awaited surgery kept pushing it back. I probably would have saved some money and waited for delivery of an Expert model if I'd known, but - hindsight, eh? Frustrating, but I'm glad I prioritised employment, wellbeing, and health!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com